WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – At least the Mother of the Groom ‘waited’ until after you got yours. I had a friend (Mother of the Bride) and the Mother of the Groom bought her dress early. When my friend found out, she was NOT at all happy. Especially, when she bought the same one. Her daughter told her about it. I know when I was the Mother of the Groom for DYS (who actually got married in a church), I told my soon-to-be DDnL#2 to let me know what color of dress she had picked. When I went to go buy mine, I had two choices, a dress or a suit (which I probably would have burnt up in and it was the more expensive one. Took pictures of them and sent it to DDnL#2 and asked her which one she liked best. She chose the dress, which was ‘teal’ sheath with a lace overdress. He mother’s dress was not exactly like it but she had one that had lace over it in an orange sherbet color. The suit was ‘orange sherbet’ colored. I am glad she told me she liked the teal dress better than the teal one. It was hotter than Hades and the church did not have A/C … just every thick walls, so it was cooler. We all had to go to the restroom because it also only had an outhouse. I haven’t been to an ‘outhouse’ since my grandmamma was alive.

Daddy and one of my uncles put in a full bathroom. She asked them what they were doing and Daddy told her getting running water to the house. Then he got the first bill and got the electric company to come out to see if the meter needed replaced. When he got there every faucet was running at full speed. He asked her why. Her answer was ‘Well, you said you were putting in running water, so now it is running.

Why does Denise what her hair and make-up done before the final fitting. I would think she would want it to be done on the day of the wedding. Tami does it all the time, usually putting on the veil at the same time. One of her co-workers does the make-up. She usually does the entire party, bridesmaids, maid of honor, mothers, and the bride. Usually each pays for their own. Tami did my hair, I did my own make-up. Her mother has very short hair so she did not get it done. Her 2 bridesmaids had theirs done. One in a very 40’s fashion and the other also had a dated haircut. One did Tami’s make-up, complete with false lashed. She was beautiful!

Anne – On the last day of the month, Barbiecat will post a link to the next month. You need to ‘bookmark’ it by clicking the outline of a star, it will turn yellow. Then to find us, click on the gray star between the bell and gear. Sometimes you will find that when the bar drops down you might find that some have posted before the link is, you might want to go to them to read, then you’d have to go back up and click on the gray star again. Now, it only takes you back to the beginning of the last page. It ‘used’ to take you back to where you posted last. Personally, I don’t like this change. So I will usually write down the last page I was one and find my last post that way. I will post to the person that they need to go back up until they see the blue link in Barbiecat’slast post of the month. Sometimes others will also post the link.

It is easier to find if you leave a mark of some type after your last post. A letter, number, or a special character, or a ‘face’ which you will find up at the top of the box you type on.

Machka – I had a broken tooth split in quarters and they took it out along with all the nerves running to it, they I had a post and a permanent cap. Not everybody can have a successful post put in. My oldest sister was one, so she had to get a removable bridge.

I treated my cactus/succulents with Margaret’s recipe. I sure hope it works. While I only paid $10 for this huge plant, I don’t want to lose it. I’m going to wash it off in few minutes and wash out all the dirt around the roots and repot it, then put it down into another post, both have drainage holes in them. If I did not kill all those pesky little mealy bugs with that combination of household products, they never will be. I decided to repot it …

OMGoodness, look like I have had a fight with my cat. I finally wrapped a towel around it. Did a little cursing. Then decided, ‘while you are out here, what don’t you repot your orchids’? So I did that, only lost one. Leaving them out under the covered deck of my studio. They’ve been on my porch and I think maybe it has gotten too hot out there in the afternoons. I spend 2 ½ hours out there doing manual labor. My body doesn’t take the heat all that well.

Spent 2 ½ hours working with my plants and reporting all but one of them. I was drenched in sweat. A shower felt ‘wonderful’. My face stayed beet read for another hour. Got something in my eye and had to come in to wash it out. I think it was the dish soap and alcohol mixture, splashed up when I was washing the plant off after 20 or 30 minutes.

DJ – I was working out in the yard and we were supposed to get a 90+ part of the eclipse. I expected that it would get darker; but, not that I could tell. I’ll watch it on TV, I am sure it will be on it. Great news about the biopsy.

Toni – I hope you did not damage your eyes with your quick looks at it; they say it doesn’t take much to do that.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    evening ladies~
    Home from work, they had glasses so I peaked at the eclipse..
    I did tell Tom that I signed a lease and I was moving out on Oct 1st.. and I also told him I also would'nt be able to have the dogs there, and he said he would never ever keep the dogs from me, and that he was planning on keeping the house here... so we shall see..
    Tracy -DD just sent me pictures of her in her wedding dress, very beautiful long sleeves sweetheart neckline and open in the back.. needs alterations ,and I know a woman who is awesome..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Gloworm - Thanks for the tip on the protein powder. I don't plan to do this long enough to need to buy any. It's not that I'm hungry, I just want to chew! It doesn't help that I browned up a couple of pounds of hamburger to freeze in individual servings for those days the hub is traveling and I don't want to cook. Smelling that is making me crazy! Hopefully Wednesday my lip will be in good shape and I'll eat a huge salad for lunch and something yummy for dinner. When I bit it again yesterday at lunch I almost cried. Luckily I was down to my last bite of food.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Just seen Oregon's total eclipse live on our news. :D:D:D
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Me too awesome

Kate UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 45 min of a Band Camp DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD by Traci Long.

Had to get up at 3 this morning to leave by 5. I wanted to get home before the eclipse. I got home about 12:30.

Didn't go to ceramics tonight. Trying to get caught up. Plus, the gal whose house I usually go to cancelled mahongg. She went to Greenville SC to see the eclipse. Personally, I was a bit surprised that she was even going to have it. She said they got tied up in traffic. I thought that might happen. It might be a blessing in disguise for me because now I can get to sleep early. Am supposed to volunteer at the Green Room tomorrow (it's starting up again!), then I want to go to this Prime of Life expo mainly for the free bags, which are good for groceries. Then I'm thinking of going to pick up the placq for Denise. Next I get to figure out how to get them wrapped.

I know that I'm tired because I have this craving for carbs (you know, candies and cookies)

On the way home the a/c in my car froze up. So lucky me got to drive in the heat. I might go out in a few just to start the car up and be sure that the a/c does work.

Joyce - it makes me sad to hear you're in such pain. Hope it doesn't last too long

I'll probably make this short, need to take a shower and I'm really tired. It's catching up with me. But know that I read every post

KJ - hope the kids are going to wear their clothes backwards Friday! What a cool helmet for Joaquim. He's so so cute

Jessica wanted me to use her IP, but I don't have one and am not sure about it. What I should have done is hard boiled some eggs for her. Instead I bought some h.b. eggs because I thought I might want some and I knew that she liked them.

Heather - great pics, as usual

Has DeeDee posted lately and I've missed it?

Denise called and said that she and Pete watched the eclipse, she thanked me for the glasses. It seems she can't thank me for something in person, but she can call. I don't know, maybe it's because it's expected of ma.

tere - I feel my grandmother raised me. Of course, my situation was different from yours.

Toni - your eclipse sounds awesome. I'd just gotten home and watched it on TV. The good part was that I got to see it multiple times. The guy from the astronomy club who talked to Newcomers said to expect your pets to act differently. When the eclipse happened, Clyde made this sound, not like he was in pain, it was just different. Then the cats started running all over the house, Bonnie was looking out the window. I swear, they knew when it was over because they all laid down.

Gloria - adding protein powder would make you full. I tried some of the protein powder that Jess had and I couldn't finish even a full scoop

Lenora - the mother of the groom didn't wait until after I got my dress. She picked out her dress a year ago! She showed me the dress when we went dress shopping. However, what happened is that by the time she ordered it, it was out of stock so she had to get another one. THAT was when she asked (Denise) what color my dress was. That's what I did with my dress. I went shopping and found about 7 that I felt comfortable in. Some Denise rejected immediately. It was down to 3 and Pete finally picked it out. Fortunately, it was the one I liked best. Denise did tell me that she wants my dress. Was she just being nice to me? I don't know, I do know that I'll get it cleaned and give it to her, probably when they come to pick up her cat at Jess' after the honeymoon. Oh, Denise wants the hair and makeup BOTH the day of the wedding and at the final fitting. I guess she wants it for the final fitting to see how the entire look is.

Seems Pete's brother (who is a piece of work) didn't go for his tux so Pete took him the last day they could go. Pete told him that there was a $20 deposit, was the brother OK with that. He said he was but when they got there, he didn't have any money. Then after Pete paid, he actually asked Pete for money! Of course, Pete didn't give it to him.

Michele back in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    DJ good news!

Tere prayers for the job!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    The eclipse was amazing. There is nothing like totality. It was the fastest two minutes I have ever experienced. Loved it. We are making plans for 2024. Totality is worth it.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    stats for the day

walking a bike sucks

bike ride/walk hm 2 gym (got a flat)- 20.26min, 130mhr, 8.7mph. 2.9mi = 133c
    apple watch- 92c
    SPIN CLASS- 25min, 85ar, 83aw, 141mhr, 8-11g, 10.5mi = 182c
    apple watch- 171c
    walk bike gym 2 dome- 24.45min, 117mhr, 3.5ap, 1.4mi = 127c
    apple watch- 120c
    walk sta 2 wk- 8.17min, 120mhr, 3.6ap, .4mi = 39c
    apple watch- 44c
    walk wk 2 sta w/bkpack- 8.31min, 3.7ap, 104mhr, .5mi = 40c
    apple watch- 48c
    walk bike dome 2 hm- 44.49min, 3.5ap, 137mhr, 2.6mi = 288c
    apple watch- 252c

809c
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Totally enjoyed watching the eclipse......on tv! Even though we had two small towns with 100% totality and we had 99.29% I sat here in my cool noise and watching live feed first from Oregon and then our own. The heat index was over 100 and I just didn't want to get out and watch it. Over local NBC station had coverage from both towns and I saw it three on my big tv rather than through the glasses which I didn't have or a backwards shadow. We did of course notice the change in lightness, it was more of a dusk. My daughter watched it from her work and said it was beautiful, Ellie said what she noticed the most was the crickets were so loud during totality. Other insects were more active. I have a friend that her. Rather asked his girlfriend to marry him right at the. One thing of totality and put on her diamond ring as the corona appeared. How romantic.

Tere, sorry about the sinus infection. Me and my girls Iive with those all the time and they can be awful. Glad about the job opportunity.

My headache was completely gone this morning when I got up. Tomorrow I start back on my Advile/Aleve and start going off of my narcotic and sleeping pill. I forgot to call the doctors office to get a smaller dose of A,bien.

Since it was so hot yesterday and today, I knew that needed to be giving my plants a good watering. My encore Azaleas are looking puny. I checked my local hourly weather and it said 10% chance of precipitation. So I have it a good watering. About 10 minutes after I came in the heavens opened up and now they are drenched. So much for your weather report. Also it looks like the storm has maybe knocked out DirctV out.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Last day of prednisone and my skin is clear of eczema. Hoping it will stay this way! What a difference!

Had a Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad wrap for lunch. Its the same recipe for the salad i was eating last year but you mash the beans and avo. and make a sandwich or wrap.

SMASHED CHICKPEA & AVOCADO SALAD SANDWIch. The salad also makes a great dip!

Servings 4 - prep time: 10 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
    1 large ripe avocado
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped green onion
    Juice from 1 lime (or 2 Tbls lime juice)
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Bread of your choice
    Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, sprouts, etc.

https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/smashed-chickpea-avocado-salad-sandwich/

Homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner.

Going out to try the bike again. Everyone send me good vibes that my knee will cooperate :)

I'll let you know how it goes!

Gloria in WA where the drizzly nights have given my plants mildew so trimming a lot :o
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    We must have been just out of the 70-mile strip for the eclipse. It could be seen in Macon, GA; but, not here. We are SW of them and they were within that range. Friend of mine took a picture of her 'S/O' looking into a big box. But, what was interesting was the crescent shapes to the lights through the leaves on their driveway. Oldest sister and her DH went to their oldest daughter's house to watch it. I've gotten a lot of really 'neat' pictures on FB.

I think I did enough exercise this afternoon to make up for the 2 week period since my last weigh-in to make up for the days I did not exercise. Two-and-a-half hours of repotting plants. One a cactus/succulent that I finally had to wrap a towel around it or else I was going to look like I had been mauled by a big cat.

I'm going to go to bed now! Night! Night!

Lenora