Jog wk 2 sta- 4.49min, 9.27min mi, 130ahr, 154mhr, =68c
    apple watch- 50c
    walk bike dome 2 hm- 47.29min, 3.3ap, 141mhr, 2.6mi = 330c
    apple watch- 248c

total cal 1049
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Janet your ornaments are gorgeous! When I was young and we didn't have much money my mom taught us how to make an ornament out of a pot pie tin by cutting it around in circles so it would pull into a spiral. Also like Michelle strung a lot of popcorn.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Janetr: Love those ornaments.

Becca: I'm excited for you and DH to move to Whidbey with DS. A very good friend of mine lives nearby on Camano Island.

Thank you to everyone who sent supportive sentiments on hearing of my DH's dementia. I've made my first call to an agency to explore options for getting a helping hand at home. For now, all is going okay, one day at a time.

Take care friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks, Gloria we used to do that too with the little tins, we made chains out of colored construction paper, don't think we ever strung popcorn. :smiley:

Janetr okc
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Okie, I agree with you on the Smoothie type diets. That is not a meal to me. Good luck with the mouth bite….they are hard to get rid of. DH had one once that he had had for ages and the doctor told him, “Just stop biting it”. Lol

Tere, I hope your infection improves quickly. Fingers crossed for the interview. ((((Hugs)))) on what you are going through about your Mom and Grandmother.
    Pip, I figured you’d have BBB like AAA for your bike? bike-riding-smiley-emoticon.gif

Marcelyn, great family picture. What fun!

Katla, glad you got to see the eclipse and are both enjoying your visit.

Michele, I see DeeDee posting on her home page but she hasn’t been in here is probably a year. I miss her and rarely go to my home page to see what’s going on.

Felecia, even though it was very cloudy here, it did get quite dark and I agree that it was a very fast 2 ½ minutes.

Lanette, I love avocados and have been getting them often this summer, but I’m a “no” on the pits.

Gloria, so sorry to hear the knee is still giving you trouble.

Sharon, sending healing thoughts and best wishes on your back.
    M, they had that lingering cold/flu around here last winter. I do hope you are all better soon. fever-and-sick.gif

Toni, so glad you had a good session today. I know what you are going through is not easy and making a decision is difficult. Just know we are here to support you.

Janetr, the ornaments are beautiful.

Becca, great pictures. I know you are enjoying your visit.

Rori, glad you are starting to look into possibilities for when help is needed.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I have never gotten a flu shot. I don't often get the flu. I get sinus infections; but they generally go away after a couple weeks of self medication. About every three-five years I will get one WHOPPER of a sinus infection that requires double z-pack intervention. I was sick a lot when I was a kid, so maybe that is why I seem to be immune to a lot of things. My doc says that because I work with children and have such a strong immune system, I am most likely "a carrier". LOL This irritates my hubby, because he catches EVERYTHING! We tend to sleep in separate rooms during cold and flu season. He is not easy to sleep with anyway, so this suits me fine! >:)<3

I got the flu shot for about 3 years in a row, starting when I had DVT ... my Dr told me I had to get the flu shot then, apparently I was on the high risk list. But after about 3 years, I stopped getting it. One of the reasons I stopped is that I'm one of the people who feels really awful after getting the shot. I have to get it late in the day on a Friday and then plan to do nothing but sleep all weekend because I'm that sick. I'm OK again 2 or 3 days later. Unfortunately, the timing has been really bad for the shots ... they usually come available just when I'm in a really busy period at university or with my cycling, and I can't afford to take 2 or 3 days off to sleep.

I also was sick a lot as a kid, but it didn't seem to improve my immunity. About the only thing that does is when I a) avoid people (hard to do when I'm in overcrowded classrooms at university, and at work, and take the bus, etc.), and b) exercise a lot.

And I also get sinus infections ... especially when I've worked in childcare (about 3 years in the early 1990s), and when I have taught (I trained as a teacher in the late 2000s). That's one of the reasons I didn't pursue teaching as a career, even though I've got the degree. I get so incredibly sick around the kids.

If I can manage it, I might get a flu shot next year and see if it makes any difference.

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    machka - what an amazing man you father is!

I wonder if the same strain of flu that hits Australia is also what hits the US????

He is! He's the one who got me into cycling ... actually both my parents but he is/was into a bit more than my mother.

I had a friend just tell me that what Australia gets for flus in our winter is often what North America gets a few months later ... so brace yourselves. It's a big and nasty one!!

• janetr7476
    Options
    Janet #1 Thank you so much.

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lanette: I get the flu shot annually. Sometimes they guess the strains of virus that will circulate correctly when creating the serum and the shots are a huge help in preventing illness. Sometimes they don't guess the correct strain and people get sick anyway. I am in favor of giving the shot a chance to protect me. :star:

Becca: While you're visiting Whidbey Island, why not take a trip to the grocery store to check out prices. See how they compare to the stores in the Astoria area and whether you think you can shop there & successfully get what you need for your family. I remember thinking the prices were higher than home, but it has been several years since we went there. Don't forget to factor in sales tax. I hope you'll end up happy whether you stay where you are or move. :heart:

TNToni: (((HUGS)))

Lenora: I hope your foot heals quickly. :flowerforyou:

Rori: I hope you're able to get the support you need to take care of your DH's changing situation. Are there adult daycare options available near you? When we lived in Tualatin years ago there was such a place located on the local hospital grounds. It was a blessing for families and especially caregivers without relatives nearby to help. (((HUGS)))

Machka: Thanks for the flu season advance warning. I always get a flu shot a a precaution, stemming from my years of teaching. Unfortunately, the shots aren't always effective. They have to go into production for the shots early on, and don't always correctly guess the flu strains that will actually make the rounds. Now that I'm no longer teaching, my risk level has dropped dramatically. That said, we really got knocked for a loop the year we flew half way across the country for Thanksgiving. Airplanes recirculate the air in the passenger compartment so you may be exposed to quite a lot while flying. I noticed some passengers with protective masks on & would likely consider using them myself in flu season.

We have had a lovely visit with DSIL and are heading home in the morning. I have a HS reunion later in the week, and have a lot of laundry to get done so that I can show up presentable.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I have never gotten a flu shot. I don't often get the flu. I get sinus infections; but they generally go away after a couple weeks of self medication. About every three-five years I will get one WHOPPER of a sinus infection that requires double z-pack intervention. I was sick a lot when I was a kid, so maybe that is why I seem to be immune to a lot of things. My doc says that because I work with children and have such a strong immune system, I am most likely "a carrier". LOL This irritates my hubby, because he catches EVERYTHING! We tend to sleep in separate rooms during cold and flu season. He is not easy to sleep with anyway, so this suits me fine! >:)<3

I got the flu shot for about 3 years in a row, starting when I had DVT ... my Dr told me I had to get the flu shot then, apparently I was on the high risk list. But after about 3 years, I stopped getting it. One of the reasons I stopped is that I'm one of the people who feels really awful after getting the shot. I have to get it late in the day on a Friday and then plan to do nothing but sleep all weekend because I'm that sick. I'm OK again 2 or 3 days later. Unfortunately, the timing has been really bad for the shots ... they usually come available just when I'm in a really busy period at university or with my cycling, and I can't afford to take 2 or 3 days off to sleep.

I also was sick a lot as a kid, but it didn't seem to improve my immunity. About the only thing that does is when I a) avoid people (hard to do when I'm in overcrowded classrooms at university, and at work, and take the bus, etc.), and b) exercise a lot.

And I also get sinus infections ... especially when I've worked in childcare (about 3 years in the early 1990s), and when I have taught (I trained as a teacher in the late 2000s). That's one of the reasons I didn't pursue teaching as a career, even though I've got the degree. I get so incredibly sick around the kids.

If I can manage it, I might get a flu shot next year and see if it makes any difference.
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: I get the flu shot annually. Sometimes they guess the strains of virus that will circulate correctly when creating the serum and the shots are a huge help in preventing illness. Sometimes they don't guess the correct strain and people get sick anyway. I am in favor of giving the shot a chance to protect me. :star:

Machka: Thanks for the flu season advance warning. I always get a flu shot a a precaution, stemming from my years of teaching. Unfortunately, the shots aren't always effective. They have to go into production for the shots early on, and don't always correctly guess the flu strains that will actually make the rounds. Now that I'm no longer teaching, my risk level has dropped dramatically. That said, we really got knocked for a loop the year we flew half way across the country for Thanksgiving. Airplanes recirculate the air in the s compartment so you may be exposed to quite a lot while flying. I noticed some passengers with protective masks on & would likely consider using them myself in flu season.

An additional challenge here is this ...

My university, and especially my department (IT & Engineering) do everything they can to encourage international students to attend. As a result, my classes of 100-150 students are mostly Asian (India, China, Korea, Malaysian and a few from other Asian countries), and by mostly Asian, I mean that there have been, at most 5 Australian students in the classes of 100-150 students. This year, I'm the only Australian student in a class of about 100 students.

While this makes for an interesting multicultural experience, it has its challenges and one of them is the fact that these students come from countries with different vaccination policies and different strains of flus and things.

Last year, I managed to get a cold, followed immediately by the measles, followed immediately by a bad gastro flu, followed by something I thought might be bronchitis or pneumonia. It didn't help that I'm allergic to many antibiotics, but we finally found one that worked. I was off work for at least 2 weeks and unable to do much of anything from about mid-August until mid-October. I'm not sure where I got all of that ... could have been my fellow students returning to university from their various countries, could have been the flight and trip I took in early/mid-August ... and I did discover that because of when I was born, I missed one vaccination for measles.

So ... I'm still sitting on the fence about the flu shot. I'm not entirely convinced it's going to make much difference ... that they're going to be able to guess the flu strains correctly given the potential variety of illness possibilities I might encounter. But who knows ... maybe it would make things a little bit better.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Janerr, those ornaments are so beautiful. It makes me miss my Mom, I have one that she made for me one year and it is treasured. When I take it off the tree I wrap it in tissue paper although there is nothing that will break, just me heart of something happened. When my grandkids help me with the tree, they ask why some are warapped and I tell them that there are two reasons. 1 they are precious to me so of course I tell them the story 2 some of them may break. I have ornaments tha was my Grandmothers and I have one ornament that is made out of an egg shell. So,e of those Roma,mets that are so precious were made because they didn't have any money to buy a gift and a gift like that that keeps on giving is much more important.

Becca, I love the picture of you and your very handsome son. You can tell the love between the two of you. I hope you can find a home for all of you. I have 2 cousins that live there, both of them inherited their mother's sense of photography and their pictures are stunning. I a, a little jealous.

Had a big pop up storm today. I hope it rejuvenates my azaleas. I took so,e of the dead flowers off today and it looked like it immediately perked up. My other plant tha has some evidence of some kind of bug invasion has real strong leaves even if they have holes in them. I was going t cut the sick looking leaves off but ey are on there pretty strong. I am going to have to look up how to prune them since the end of summer is coming. Or at least that is why I think they will need pruning. I really have no idea. They all have so,e lovely flowers and growth and I hate t cut that growth off and then they have to start over again next year.

Charlie has a head cold and won't take anything for it but yet complains of how terrible he feels. The older he gets and the more progression his Parkinson has, he looks more and more like a typical old nursing home patient. He doesn't sleep well at night at all. Refuses to take anything for that so he takes cat naps all day long. When he is 'watching' tv he sits with his eyes half open, chin down on his chest. Because of his very long term overuse of Afrin, he is a mouth breather now so his mouth is open and sometimes drooling. He gets very mad when I take a picture to show him what he looks like. He just says that. It is just him and I there and no one sees him so who cares what he looks like. He refuses to have a sleep study done. What can I say, he is a man.

Well today was my first day off of the Effiant. Charlie is always cold and we said it was because of his blood thinner. So as soon as I started my Effiant, I was really cold. I was hoping today I wouldn't feel as cold but nope. Tonight I only took 1 of my narcotic, I have been taking Advil every 4 hours and then Aleve tonight. Also took my Ambien. And no, I didn't call my doctors office to get a lower dose of the Ambien. Am I putting that off because I am afraid of trying to go off of it???????

I do get my flu shot every year, take e two different pneumonia shots and keep my tetanus boosters up to date. It's all on computer at my fam,y doctor and they make sure I get them in time. I can't remember when the last time I had the flu. Now Charlie never takes any and does get it. Again, what can I say, he is a man. A very stubborn man which I love berry much.

Night, night, Joyce, Indiana Oh, the totality of the eclipse in 2024 is less time here in Evansville than surrounding towns so maybe they will get he visitors and we might have a chance at a normal life here. Hopkinsville Ky made over 2 million with their experience in their very small town. That's a lot of money for a very small town.

• janetr7476
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks Joyce and I appreciate the story. I think of my Mom too as she and I would make ornaments together from little kits you could buy. I just buy all the stuff and use my imagination. I've been making them for years for my family and as it continues to grow (5 older sisters, 13 grandkids, married grands with babies and even some their babies have kids my oldest sister has 10 great-great grandkids) it gets harder to keep up. I try to make one for each adult female and that is a chore. Then of course I have Jack's side. I try to get an early start but never seem to get enough made for everyone, I'm always sure to give to my sisters and their kids and my girls and granddaughters.

I enjoy doing it although my fingers get very torn up and my back and legs get stiff and sore now. It does, however, keep me from eating lol

Janetr OKC
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Katla - I made it through work and my appointments. Definitely a hurting unit today so I hope that it feels better over the next few days.

Michele - Sorry to hear about Vince's pneumonia. Hope he feels better soon.
    The plaque is very special, I'm sure they will treasure it.

Lenora - I'm sorry about your toe. I hope the pain is minimal.

Allie - Looks like he is stalling, trying to control the situation and buy some time. Stick to your guns. He can't get out of this.

Janet -The ornaments are fabulous.

Rori - It's good to have a team in place. One step. One day at a time. My thoughts are with you.

Parade Day. They always use our parking lot to unload the animals. It is difficult to get in to work and the city people try to tell us where to park.

1st day back and I was ready to run out the door. My desk had supplies dumped on it. I may be able to catch up most of the paperwork tomorrow. I have to do something with all the coin they accepted. It just irks me that every time I go on vacation things that are supposed to be done daily don't happen at all. I'm supposed to train people to use the new communicators. I just saw them for the first time today. I'm supposed to train people on our new rewards program. I have to find the handouts and study them. A sweet little old lady with the whitest hair came in to tell us how horrible we were, how disgusting and demeaning "Speak Out" is and demanded that we take back the game. Sorry, you just told us that your family played it 3 x and your receipt is dated for 2 months ago. Not taking back things that have been in people's mouth. Then the shop lifters are just getting bolder and bolder. So ready to be D-O-N-E with all of this.

This afternoon I had my hair done, manicure and pedicure. I went quite a bit shorter and I'm loving it. I got colour changing nail polish. We are going to try to put in special extensions to help take attention away from my balding head.

I can't wait to see my little Harmony. I have missed her so. Looking forward to a little shopping with her.
    Not sure yet if we are needed to look after Jheri's kids for the weekend. Might go to Corn Fest. It's always fun.

Really hoping that the girls are making money at the Whoop-Up Days.

-Sharon
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well my attempt at getting to sleep tonight is not working at all. Went to bed at midnight and here it is almost 6 hours later. I doubt the Ambien has much in my system anymore. The one Narco didn't help. I have taken one Benadryl but I can't feel that. I have done some jigsaw puzzles, played with my cats which I'm not sure what they thought of. I always dread getting up in the middle of the night to potty because it will disturb them and then Mozart goes after Melody and they get in a mess. I did all my laundry today so I couldn't do that. The dishwasher is empty, closet cleaned out. I guess I could get up and dust, but nah, d you not think so. I do need to make a map of my garden and a graphic of how and when to prune. I guess I'm could research that. I may have to change wha my bedtime medicine is on Tursday and Saturday nights so many can get to church. Sure am glad I do t work anymore.

Ok, just thought I would pop in and see who is up at this time of the morning.

Joyce, Indiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Mornin' Joyce I'm up! My teaching schedule starts next week so of course my body starts me waking up in anticipation! Wish I could just sleep but the brain just wakes me up!

Talking about catching colds or worse things from students or kiddos, it does worry me. I have built up some immunity and is so important to eat right and exercise to stay strong. I bet I would be walloped if I were in a situation like machka, I don't know how you handle an ever changing international student population.

NYKAREN