WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Felicia: I'm not sure why it is any worse to be old and short than to be old and tall. I recommend adding a "have fun every day" goal. It doesn't always have to be a spectacular event. I've been happier since I added it to my goals list. It helps me notice little pleasures. :star:

Great idea, Katla. I let my husband get to me too much. He goes to the gym a couple days a week -- which is great for him -- so he gets cross when I want to go more often. "We just went yesterday!" as I'm walking out the door. He's a smart guy and should be able to do the math -- let's see 6 foot male, 200 pounds compared to 5'3" 138 pound woman.

But yes, have fun every day. And I did have a wonderful time with my family this weekend -- I need to stop stressing and get over it already! :smiley:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ Great pictures! So glad you having a great time visiting your son. I am sure the financial problems can be solved because you are such a great planner.

Kelly ~ I have never gotten a flu shot either. I usually get a very bad cold about twice a year and then allergies all year round.

DJ ~ So glad you had good news about your lip. I have had to have many pre-cancerous skin lesions either cut out or iced out. Too much sun! I remember getting blisters in my scalp one time after staying at the lake all day.

Felicia ~ I agree with you on being old and short! It's like every pound is noticeable.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Good morning - off to swim swimmer-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :)Felicia , It has been my experience that people who don't want to be active are quick to use words like "addicted " or "obsessed " or "compulsive " to describe those of us who want to be active. I seek balance so I work at spending time with my husband but continue to walk the dogs for three hours every day, dance three mornings a week, and ride the exercise bike while reading or watching TV.

<3 Barbie
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get back on track, after being a lot less diligent than I would have liked over the summer. My Tuesday Zumba class was cancelled over the summer due to poor attendance. There's a 'special' Zumba class tonight though, and I think the new session starts next week. I'm really uncoordinated, but I love the class anyway.

Hubs and I have been doing yardwork projects most weekends, instead of swimming at the Y like we had in the spring. It probably works out to be more exercise than swimming, but I do miss the pool. I'm not a good swimmer - what I call swimming is more like treading water and moving my arms, with occasional laps of backstroking. I'll probably take swimming lessons this winter so I can look like I know what I'm doing.

I've managed to stay at a slight deficit every week this summer, but nowhere near the pound a week I was managing in the spring. Too much snacking, and a couple drinks on the weekend are all it takes to go over my low limit.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Becca - love the photo's of DS, DH, them working....everything! I am praying your plans work out. I haven't been to Whidbey in years but from what I recall, it's beautiful and hopefully still fairly rural.

And also hope you return home to a letter - whether you do or not, the correspondence and postcards coming his way is giving him a lift if he needs one.

You and your DH did well with those boys! <3

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies -

Much love and prayers for healing for many of you - Machka, Gail, Dorrie, and more.

Rori - Are you facing a challenge? Somehow in my skimming I missed something.

Heather - I imagine it was a lift to see the grands as soon as you returned home from your travels

Allie - your plan is coming together!

Rye - You're in my old stomping grounds. "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

I had a very good counseling session today. Feeling more at peace about splitting. We shall see. For some reason I am unable to see the recent pictures you all have posted. Hope it is just a fluke. They always brighten my day! YOU ALWAYS BRIGHTEN MY DAY!

TNToni

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hola! I have been eaten baskets of garden tomatoes-best harvest in 3 years can't keep up, had tomatoes for breakfast lunch and dinner so so good.
    I was really sore from my training session yesterday--no pain no gain right!??

Well DH is still hemming and hawing about how to get DD up to college. I have two scenarios I can live with for different reasons, just want to get it settled!! Also, been going in to work everyday this week with interviews and meetings, don't know what shape my rooms are in, but at least I've made progress with new teacher relationships.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did a Tracie Long Longevity DVD. Not sure how long it was, tho. I think I may have stopped too soon before the DVD was over. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Bosu DVD.

As I was getting ready to take a shower last night, Vince was talking to me, I wanted nothing more than to go to sleep. Guess I went to sleep around 9. Boy, I must have really needed it!

Am supposed to volunteer at the Green Room today, then I want to go to the Prime of Life expo, then pick up Denise's placq

Re - how well I remember the days of months between! The worst was that it made it difficult to plan when going away. It'll come, trust me. I thought it never would, but it did.

Joyce - I watched the eclipse on the TV, too. I had just gotten home, was getting things unpacked and trying to do some catch up. The nice thing about watching it on TV was that I got to see it over and over. I must have seen 3 different eclipses.

Vince got up last night with this awful cough. Seem he had some acid reflux and he thinks it went into his lungs as they were really buring he said. Right now he's making some other sort of noise. Wonder why he just doesn't stay upright? Update: he thinks that his lungs are probably trying to heal themselves and making mucus which is what he's coughing up. Right now he's on the computer looking up how long the mucus-coughing-up will last. To me, this is a dumb thing to do. I would think it would depend on how much got in the lung in the first place. But it'll make him happy so I'm not going to say anything.
    Update update: He went to the emergency care where they took an x-ray. He has the start of pneumonia. They gave him z-max. He has an appt tomorrow with the doctor. They did tell him if he gets any worse to go to the ER. Hope he doesn't have to. They were just concerned that the pneumonia started so shortly after the acid reflux

Glo - the pea and avocado wrap sounds delish and probably not difficult at all. Something even I can handle!

sygamore - welcome! Is that your cat in your pic? Tell us more about yourself and your cat.

Lanette - I have heard of eating avocado pits, just never did it. If you do, tell us what you did and how it tasted

machka - what an amazing man you father is!

KJ - maybe it was the eclipse that made me so sleepy! I just thought it was because I got up early and drove, but maybe not.

I just realized that I totally forgot to prelog my dinner last night so it took me a bit over. Not real bad, but bad enough.

pip - what going on? Two flats in such a short period of time. I know you take real good care of your bike. Hopefully, it'll be something easy to take care of

Felicia - I swear, I think I'm addicted to exercise. The day just doesn't seem complete unless I exercise.

Dorrie - good for you ignoring Mr. Toad. He'll get the message. Vince had a tibial plateau fracture. Was that what you had? It DID take him a long time to heal. He has all sorts of screws in his knee. He was told that eventually he'll need knee replacement surgery. He's hoping its a long way off. Smart dad you had there.

Volunteered at the Green Room then went to the Prime of Life. All the good freebies were gone and I was surprised how many vendors weren't there any more. I did get a few things, not much. One good bag. Then went and picked up Denise's placq. Is it ever stunning! Then stopped at the Salvation Army, then went to PetSmart, then home. Going to have dinner in a few

I wonder if the same strain of flu that hits Australia is also what hits the US????

The first time I got a flu shot I had such a reaction! None since then. I was at a friend's house and after that episode I swore that I'd never again go real far from home in the dark

Michele back in NC

4rhp8fooaa2w.jpg

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh – When I think of ‘caning’ … I think of someone being beaten with a wet cane. Not particularly fun because it has such sharp edges. Some countries do this to ‘make children into men’. YeGADS!!!!!

Pip – I’ve been ‘trying’ to get my DGDs to allow me to make a quilt out of their various T-shirts; but, Taylor (oldest one) says she just can let them go. Madison probably would not even want one, and Emilee is too young. I’m sure that Mallory has a lot of T-shirts because she is active in school and elsewhere.

Toe was definitely broken. Still do not know what I did to it. Just woke up Friday and it hurt and was bruised over to my 3 toe, all across the top from there and down the side. Ankle was ok, did not mess with any of the pins and plates that were done 20 years ago in a wreck. Got to wear this boot for the next 3 weeks to keep my toes from bending. If I am sitting in my chair or sleeping, I don't have to wear it them. That's a relief.

Louis just said his truck has 460,000 miles on it. Had about 96,000 when he bought it. Chase, Taylor's boyfriend just bought a truck. He inherited his Dad's truck, but, doesn't want to drive it because he's afraid it will get wrecked. That is about all he really got. I don't think his Dad has much of anything. He took his test for getting into school to be a PT. Will be mid-October before he gets the results. Then, I think Taylor said it would start in May. That's a odd time. But, he also had to wait a year after graduation to take it. He's working so that is how they pay their bills. Taylor isn't working this last semester because she wants to go to 'job fairs'.

We were too far away to see the eclipse; but, I enjoyed the pictures that friends posted on FB and on here.

Lenora
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Hope you are having a good Tuesday. Did my yoga this morning and eating is going well so far today. Found some pluots this week and am enjoying those.

Tere - Good luck on the interview.

Machka - Hope you conquer that flu bug soon.

Pip - What on earth are doing to those tires, riding over blackberry vines? Or have you just worn them out?

Becca - Hope things work out to continue with your plans for Whidbey island.

Take care all, Sue in WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    Long day, and Tom was in bed when I got home, he has been awake since 10:30 last night..
    he still has not given my attorney financials and we cannot proceed until then, he better get his *kitten* in gear.
    another long day tomorrow, before I have thursday off, and will have Taliah again, will take her to another park..as next thursday she starts back to school..
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Back from swimming = had another smashed wrap for lunch. Going to do upper body weights this afternoon and take the dogs for a walk to the store to get milk. I am in the midst of reorganizing my kitchen shelves. I hate when I can't find things.

Off to take the boys to Football.
  • trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ~ Michele aka exermom - yes, that's my fracture, but I did not end up with screws - I refused surgery as soon as I learned I could heal on my own eventually, and yes it has been a long almost 3yrs...TBH it wasn't until this year, and 40 pounds off that I've felt like I can trust it regularly. I still wear a brace if I know I'm going to be doing things that might re-injure it. I'll deal with the arthritis as long as I can before having to face a replacement or surgery. As for my Daddy, yes he was very wise and my best friend. I miss him horribly. He was one that advocated AGAINST surgery if possible for any injury. If surgery is recommended, to always get 2nd and 3rd opinions whenever possible, and press for alternatives whenever it's an option. He felt strongly that surgery is often not necessary, and physical therapy along with time to heal would win out over surgery. He believed that once you opened a bone/joint to air, it was subject to infection - as with any injury that breaks the skin. He was not a medical professional by any stretch of the imagination. However, we are of the Turtle Mountain Tribe (Chippewa) of South Dakota, and his mother, my tiny grandmother, was of medicine woman decent going back many generations. She passed when I was a teenager, but she instilled in me the power of holistic approaches versus modern medicine. Her influence was vast in the family, and that's why I am always reluctant to have surgery unless it's life threatening.

~ Becca - you look positively RADIANT in the photo with your son. I truly hope everything you hope for works out in the pending move ... excellent choice too! I can envision you planning every detail, and counting every penny to put aside for this event. You're so much like me it's not funny sometimes...I moved back to Vegas to be near my children and grandson...now, he's older and I'm getting the wanderlust again. Perhaps it's because of my own pending opportunities, but I can completely relate to your excitement! Good move on letting the roomie know the lease wouldn't be renewed - hopefully they get their act together! Don't be too hard on your son or the roomie for their bachelor pad type of mentality. If I'm to guess, his duty to our country is much more important in his mind than worrying about appearances behind closed doors. You should be very proud of him, and it SHINES all over you standing next to him.

Much love and respect from Vegas,
    Dorrie aka TrulyDivyn
    "Replace I WISH with I WILL" --- Nana
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Watched the 5 yr old so her dad could go in to work. She said her tummy hurt at school but I think she was just exhausted. Stayed out til 10 PM last night at her Me Maws (who is moving into a new house) and slept this afternoon for 3 hours. Her mom keeps the two of the children so busy that I can't understand how they ever get enough rest. Growing up in the country, we were always in bed about dark and guess I'm that still way now.

Carol in GA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Disappearing list again. Grrrrr.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Avacado Angels!

I have no news to report - other than the fact that I get a gold star - because my hitting the gym last night allowed me to get my full strength training in by this morning - AND, I did my planks, yesterday - so, I am totally on track for this week.

August Goals for the week 8/20 – 8/26
    400 calories under budget 5X: OOOXX
    Weights/Abdominals 3X: OOX
    Planks 3X: OOX

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Lanette – Gosh, I hope so. I have been extremely fortunate, so far, in that Meno has basically just be a cessation of the monthly torment and a FEW hot flashes – when I over indulge on carbs. I am hoping that will be the extent of it... and that it comes SOON. I have never tried eating the pits, but, I do love avacados.

NYKaren – ah the bosu... My PT had me do squats on it... lol. It was like Surfing.

Gloria – That salad looks yum! And sorry, the elliptical is your friend, Sugar.

Sharon – My DH is cooking supper, tonight... He has to take the plastic off the top and place a pan that I prepared into the oven. That is Man-Speed cooking.

Machka – Oh SURE, now I want Mexican food for dinner. *sigh*

Felicia – I used to get those sorts of comments from my DH all the time... but, thankfully, on this latest installment of the journey, Himself is along for the ride... at least in the exercise department.

Becca – I am thinking good thoughts for some sort of a financial windfall to make it easier for you to get to Whidby!

Michele – So glad Vince actually went to the ER – a lot of men would have tried to “tough it out” until they got REALLY sick.

Janet – Lovely ornaments!

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I have to run - DH put the pan IN the oven, but, I have to get home to pull it out - since he said he was going to take a nap. Must be nice...

Love you guys... Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX