WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kwtlw wrote: »
    Hello new here. I am 60 and have to lose atleast 30 lbs. Would love to join this group for inspiration and tips. I am on a one week detox and then plan on following the mfp log in strictly. I have tried it so many times but slipped. Butnhave not joined a forum either. So this time may be that will help. I am a vegetarian and do not drink so I should have no excuse. I have bad knees and that is my excuse for exercising. I am sure I can do some sort of exercise. I do water aerobics. But I am not consistent. Anyways, I am excited about new beginnings. And really want to lose weight.

A word of advice ... skip the detox and get right into MFP's CICO plan. :)

Oh and ... welcome here!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    ((((Marcelyn ))))I am so so so sorry your community is having to deal with this. Take care and as your governor said place your safety first.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For comparison sake: Here is a picture of the bayou I posted a picture of above when it is "normal". That's my husband standing down in it. I was standing on the bridge that is barely showing in the flood photo.
    dp2eut721sxf.jpg

Marcelyn
    still dry in Houston but not going anywhere.... and yes, still bored.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cheri & Marcelyn: Thanks to each of you for letting us know that you're okay. :bigsmile: I was thinking of you both last night while I watched the Weather Channel's coverage of the Texas situation. I hope that you both continue to stay safe! :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I've decided to try and find two friends from elementary school days. People at the reunion knew all about one of them, so I know she's okay. I found a facebook page for her and will keep my eye on it. She was traveling in Canada during the reunion. The other went to the HS across town. I checked facebook for him, and may have found the right person. I'm not sure. The two of them were good friends of mine in elementary school days. :smiley:

Machka: I have a winter flowering camelia here in Oregon. It is a sasanqua camelia. The variety is Yuletide. It was a great source of food for our little hummingbirds during the winter snow here. :heart:

Michelle: It was very nice to see old friends. I recognized some on sight, but one or two had to tell me who they are. The ones who meant the most to me were those I went to Junior High with. Our HS was huge and had kids from several junior highs when I was a student there. :smiley: I'm currently trying to track down two that were my friends during grade school days. One of them went to the other HS in town back in those days. Now there are several High Schools.

Heather: I had an unpleasant step onto the scales today. Yikes! I have to get back to basics. :embarassed:

kwtlw: Welcome!

I just stepped on the scale. OOPS! It is back to basics time for me. I have let a bit of alcohol slip into my life, and I have to kick it out again. It is useless sugar calories that tend to cause me to crave salty foods. That becomes a double whammy. On the good side, at least my clothes still fit. :embarassed:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I know what you mean. I hate to part with anything that has any life until way past its 'expiration date'. I get the thriftiness form my mother who must have learned it from Grandmother. My family was financially stable when I was a child, but mother always counted every penny, cut coupons and recycled to new use anything that wasn't 'trash'. I am much like that. But SHOES! I find it so difficult to find a pair that are comfortable I wear them way past the 'trash' designation.

Penny: Your life sounds unreal to me - like a book or movie. I adored the way you shared your 'commute' with us! And your strawberries look so good - as if I could pinch then into my world through my phone screen. I bet your jam will be outstanding!

Diane: I wish my DH and I could rummage through your 'barn' it sounds fascinating to me. But I do understand it is just a lot of work for you right now.

Dana: I'm glad your husband is ok, sorry that he feels so crappy. I have been 'sneaking' good food ( and fluid) to my hubby recently - picking up strawberries and making sure they are sprinkled with sugar and ready for him to mindlessly eat, making a fruit smoothie ( with spinach, shh that is a secret) and bringing it to him while he is out sweating doing lawn work. Making frozen fruit smoothie (with spinach) granita for deserts - even making his standby 'rehydrate after doing lawn work' kook-aid drink with lemon water instigate plain water. I actually think it has helped some this summer, but I'm going to have to come up with a plan for the winter. Hmm

Machka: I love that photograph- it really tells a story! (Nice dynamic range (b/w) and lovely composition also, btw) Story telling photographs and portraits are my weak points, but I keep trying. Because I see the real world in two dimensions and without any depth perception - I think that has become the driving force in how and what I like to photograph. I think I'm trying to communicate to others the difference in the way I actually see the world. Also, those beautiful flowers look HUGE - are they or is it a perspective thing?

Thanks to y'all keeping your fingers crossed on the job, I'll take any karma, force, or prayer I can! The job would be the proverbial god-send right now. Also, thanks, I never know how to respond correctly when people compliment my photos, but it makes me feel very good.

Laters, Rye in Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you, Marcelyn. <3<3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    kwtlw wrote: »
    Hello new here. I am 60 and have to lose atleast 30 lbs. Would love to join this group for inspiration and tips. I am on a one week detox and then plan on following the mfp log in strictly. I have tried it so many times but slipped. Butnhave not joined a forum either. So this time may be that will help. I am a vegetarian and do not drink so I should have no excuse. I have bad knees and that is my excuse for exercising. I am sure I can do some sort of exercise. I do water aerobics. But I am not consistent. Anyways, I am excited about new beginnings. And really want to lose weight.

:)Welcome, Joining this thread is a great beginning to your journey. I started my final weight loss journey at age 62 and have stayed the course since then. I created a routine that works for me and I'll share it with you. I eat exactly the same breakfast every morning so I don't have to waste time thinking about what to eat. I eat my breakfast while reading this thread so my thinking for the day begins with inspiration from others about staying the course of healthy eating and exercise. I plan my meals for the day and log them into the food diary at the beginning of the day. I seek every opportunity to be active and make my exercise a priority above almost everything else. Being consistent is very important.

:) Barbie from beautiful sunny, dry, NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn ~ thinking of you all down there and keeping you all in my prayers ,stay safe. xoxo
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    Options
    Sunday at last!

Marcelyn – WOW on the flood pictures – thanks for the updates. The photos are amazing. We get terrific floods in our area when copious amounts of warm rain hit the mountain snow in November and December…but the rivers quickly crest and within hours the water is back within its banks and flowing “downhill” toward the ocean. I can’t imagine having to deal with it for days and days. :'(

Dana – I am so glad you took your DH to the ER and he was immediately seen. My DH laid on the couch for three days constipated and with diverticulitis before I was able to drag him to urgent care – they immediately put him on high powered antibiotics. A day later he was in the hospital, a hair’s breath from a perforated colon and spent a couple days there drinking “drano” under the surgeon’s care. Several months later the doc removed about 8” of the pesky thing. He was lucky he didn’t need a temporary colostomy bag.

Joyce – funny about Mozart and the litter box. What a pill. And cute comment “hunks have to age”. This and Katla’s reunion made me realize that often folks don’t come into their own until they mature. So many of us who were “dorks” in our senior pictures turned out pretty “handsome” once we hit our later 20’s and 30’s….
    just had to grow into it. Some of the cheerleaders and popular kids hit their peak at 17, lol. B)

Heather – way to go winning the lottery! And congrats on only a 2# vacation gain – it won’t take long for you to be back where you want to be. You are a pro. Also, I wanted to comment that I’m glad you and DH didn’t pick up a stomach bug during your cruise. A definite plus.

Carol – neat wedding picture! Beautiful dress and your DH in his uniform. <3

Machka – I love reading about the cold weather, possible snow, chilly temps. Our heatwave continues with temps in the high 80’s to high 90’s for the next ten days, still no rain in sight. It’s making up for the spring we thought would never end—chilly temps and rain lasted an extra month so I guess we’re getting an extended summer here. :s

Barbie – your comment about no longer waiting for the right person/organization to give your stuff to hit me like a ton of bricks. THANK YOU for that. I have a new “mound” started in the guest room that will be going to the thrift shop straightaway. No longer saving for that garage sale we “might” (this means never) have some day. B)

I tend to have a lot of canned goods, dog food, beans, bandaids and months of DH’s prescription drugs on hand if we can get them. And undies, sweat pants…. It’s the “depression” mentality having grown up the child and grandchild of poor farmers. I remember my grandmother telling about the rationing during WWII so she hoarded sugar and laundry detergent – when she moved from the farm, my sis emptied out hundreds of jars of canned goods decades old and “bricks” of sugar. I’m not quite that bad. I tend to still have a lot of spares and buy double because I see when something wears out…the item I buy to replace it will cost twice as much and be half the quality. Luckily we have the storage space. I only have 6 months’ worth of sugar stashed, lol.

So my cleanout is the pantry twice a year, clothing and shoes I know I’ll never wear again, hobbies, cookware, trinkets and doo-dads, furniture.... well over half the house! DH is still on the "keeper" list. This week. >:)

With the hot weather coming up, we’re still resorting to “take out”. I went to Burger King and picked up burgers which we “deconstructed” (took off the soggy lettuce, tasteless tomatoes, icky sauce) – and will warm up in the microwave for supper tonight and tomorrow night, adding our own fresh tomato and onions and I’ll discard half the bun. DH then wants Kentucky Fried on Tuesday which is OK since I’ll pull off the skin and add the meat to my nightly salad. Seems like I’ve forgotten how to cook, it’s been so long. UGH.

I’ll have a lot more apples to cook down into sauce this week and can…. This time will use the pressure canner out in the potting shed. I don’t care if that little place gets hot, it has a huge door that will remain open and windows for a breeze. At least it won’t heat up the house.

My weight routine is changing a little – I’ve added bands for the arms and to strengthen my shoulder and back muscles. So glad I went to the physical therapist and learned about this.

With my recent bout with bladder problems, I’ve learned something about my body – I need to train myself to not “go” so often so the bladder gets used to holding more, plus I now stand at the computer instead of sit which makes me use “pelvic floor” muscles. My morning cup of coffee – takes me two hours to drink, with sips of water along the way. The difference is remarkable. I realize now that drinking two or three cups of coffee the first hour I was up was very irritating to the bladder and made it dicey the rest of the day. I am not convinced I had a bladder infection at all (nothing showed in the urine sample) but instead it was the coffee and tea overload.

OK so much on the pee story. :#

Hugs to everyone! <3
    Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    Options
    tried the backup trailer, works like. a charm just need practice
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Lanette - The hygiene on the ship is really tight. Foam anti bacteria dispensers at every public room entrance and they make sure you use them. The public bathrooms have handles that automatically disinfect you and there are wet wipes everywhere, including by the public computers. The waiting staff have to squirt their hands in between setting down dirty dishes and picking up clean. Coming back on board you have to squirt and use eucalyptus towels.

DJ - No I haven't yet said anything to the boys. When I hinted about a chat a couple of years ago my younger son said he was too stressed at work for any discussion. My DDIL has said she thinks she has an idea. ;)
    Hard to find the right moment. I don't want to spoil the party.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Glad everyone is at least surviving down in Texas. We al continue to pray for you. We have a guy in our church that goes to any place that has some sort of disaster, he may not be officially sent from our convention . But he was at church today and miserable. He has tried to find a away to get down into the thick of things along with friends but either all roads or airports are blocked and he can't get there. But he knows that even after airports are opened there will be need for help for weeks to. Cone as far as rebuilding.

Lanette, funny that you mentioned Mozarts potty habits. I think he anticipates my cleaning out the litter box at night since it is a very set routine I have at night. So I am getting a bag and the scooper and he gets into the box and digs a hole first! Then he sits in the hole and poops. Can't believe how big that guy is growing.

Diane, are there friend that would love to look through your barn and actually buy things? I know that was exactly what my Mom and Dad would love to do all the time. We still have many treasures that they obtained from barn diving.

Church was good today. We have been trying to get some new choir members. Our choir took quite the hit when ounce of our couples dropped out because of his health. He had a beautiful full tenor voice and she was an alto and they sang beautiful duets. So we are down to two altos and when the preacher and his family are out of yown, it takes half our alto section. Several of the people I asked today responded that we sound so good, why do we need new members. I guess we need to quit sound good good for a 15 member choir.

My oldest daughter's boss's cat was chasing a ban chipmunk and he crawled up Christina's leg so she rescued him. Sounds kind of line The Mississippi Squirel! Anyway, she took the little critter home. When she was a teenager here at home, we rescued many little critters. Baby robins, baby bunnies, our own sugar gliders and dog, snakes they all came through our homes. We were never successfull in the baby Robins who fell out of a tree, they all eventually died but the bunnies all lived. So she knows what she has gotten herself into as far as it either dying or if it survives and you have to let it go. Ellie rescued a baby Robin and it did love and they let it loose. My girls and me have always loved little critters. I guess our favorites is the many years of having sugar gliders. Michelle was very passionate about them.

Take care ladies, Joyce Indiana