WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Terry in VT - love that bracelet do you make the chain? I'm not familiar with the term you used for the type of jewelry you make.

Gloria in WA
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good evening girls,

I ate 3 snickerdoodle cookies today. I had a stressful day because DH woke me up at 6 am. He was sick with intestinal problems and said he felt like he was faint and didn't want to pass out on the toilet by himself. So, I got up and saw he was really constipated and in a lot of pain. He usually is on the edge of diarrhea daily, and has diverticulitis. I asked if he wanted to go to the urgent care but he said no. I jumped in the shower and got dressed and ran down to the store and got a enema package and suppositories. Maybe that would help.
    By the time I got back home, he went to the bathroom but was still feeling ill.
    So, we ended up in the ER later. Thankly he's fine. The doctor said to drink more fluids. That was about it.
    I tell him all the time he's got to eat more fruit and veggies and lay off the pizza and hamburgers. I didn't today. I didn't think he wanted to hear it today!

So, when I got home I fell asleep. We missed a party we planned to go to at a woman's home that is in our Sunday School class. I did call her and let her know we weren't coming.

Carol Congratulations on your 48th Anniversary!! I love your wedding photo! Very pretty dress and a crown for the princess and her prince! Very nice!

Pip I'm so glad you got Bette home with all of her improvements! I can see why the curtains were so difficult. Double pinch pleats on top and bottom! They look great!

Lenora My lips are sealed! No worries!

Machka Do you know what kind of flowers are in the last picture you posted? Must be a native of Tasmania. Very interesting as are a lot of wildlife and plants.

Penney Love your photos! I missed you and photos!

Heather I enjoyed all your photos of your trip. What a wonderful trip!

I hope all the Texans are safe during the hurricane. We are supposed to get some rain up here but nothing like the coast.
    My friend posted pictures of her grocery store near Canyon Lake, west of San Antonio. OMG! The shelves were empty.
    I thought I would never see a HEB store so bare!

Have a good evening,
    Dana in Arkansas
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,218 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Machka Do you know what kind of flowers are in the last picture you posted? Must be a native of Tasmania. Very interesting as are a lot of wildlife and plants.

I'm not a native of Tasmania ... my husband is, but I'm Canadian who came to Tasmania via Victoria, Australia. I've only lived in Tasmania for 4 years.

And actually those flowers aren't natives of Tasmania either.

The first one is a camellia bush ... it's a winter flower here in Australia, but I think it introduced into Australia from Asia. Camellias have no scent, but come in all sorts of different colours and sizes. There was one growing outside the office where I worked in rural Victoria that had huge and heavy flowers. I picked one up that had fallen and the thing was like a grapefruit.

The second is a protea which is introduced from South Africa. We've got 2 different protea bushes in our yard, both are large (taller than me and quite big around).

36670607841_271d440221_z.jpg

36670606951_22732f57eb.jpg

This is the other protea ... it isn't in bloom just now so this is an older photo ...

15104210084_5c9208fb41_z.jpg

15925833156_4686caed56_z.jpg

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did an hour on the rebounder today. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Body by Bethany DVD (yoga).

Beth - sounds like a great shower/wedding! We have the Greenworks, too, and I really like it. It isn't real heavy, I have no problem using it for an hour or so. One of the things I like is that because it is electric, you don't have to stop, I can just get the entire yard done and have it over with. You just need to be careful not to get the extension cord caught. But Vince told me (which really helps) to always keep it behind you. I do that and I haven't had any problem.

Made some more chocolate bran muffins for me to have later

Becca - what a wonderful letter!

katla - I'm glad you went to your reunion. It's nice to see old friends, even if your best friends weren't there.

M - Tasmania looks so pretty. Thanks for sharing your home with us.

Penny - 67 years! What an accomplishment!

Honestly, I just ran to Sam's to get a cheese and fruit tray and was thinking, "gee, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember Vince sending out the final notice about the pool party." so I asked him when I got home. He said "no" so I said "why not". "I've been feeling like crap". "It just means sitting at the computer! No wonder we're not getting a lot of responses". Honestly, I've been working like crazy, I know he gets tired easily so I'm trying to pick up as much as I can. But every excuse is "I don't feel well, I feel like crap". Well, maybe if you got your mind on something else, you'd forget how you feel. He certainly didn't feel like crap yesterday when he was working on his TV. Oh, no, today he feels like crap. And I bet any amount of money he'll be looking for all sorts of sympathy at the party. I made the dessert yesterday and the day before, made the sauce for the meatballs the other day, put everything together. Now I'll check the pool to see if it needs to be cleaned out. hmffffff..... Sorry for the rant.

Terry - would you please post a pic of your jewelry? You might want to consider putting a few of your pieces in her shop during the holiday buying season. People are always looking for something "different" to give as a gift, and this would fit the bill. Great that your bracelet sold! What a wonderful thing "meeting anniversary". So neat

Everyone in the line of the hurricane -- please take care. And thank you all who may not be directly in the line of the hurricane but are keeping up updated with your on-the-spot recants.

I have to say that I'm pretty proud of myself and my eating. By now I would have been stress eating BIG TIME. So far I've had some cheese, 1/2 of a bran muffin, and carrots, and laughing cow cheese and a rice cake.

Well, I know that I went over on the calories for the day. But it's only one day. Tomorrow Jess and Nancie want to go for lunch at this sushi place. I'll go with them. Not that many came to the pool party, but those who came I think had a good time. The food pantry is going to get quite a bit.

Lenora - oh, I'm sooooo happy for all of you! You know I wouldn't say anything about the pregnancy. There are days when I don't even get on facebook.

Rye - praying real hard for you to get that job. I love your photos

tiffanie - welcome! Here you'll read all about everyone's ups and, yes, downs (we all have them) and most importantly, how we deal with the "downs". Great support, too.

Cheri - so glad you're safe and that your son is out of Houston. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Let's hope things don't get much worse for you.

Dana - hope your hubby is better soon.

Michele from NC who needs to get to bed
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DJ LOL I do shred in small batches so the shredder does not overheat. My next big goal is to tackle the attic.

drkatiebug good to see you. I can hear how busy you are.

Dana I have been reading a book called Trust Your Gut by Gregory Plotnikoff
    Mark B. Weisberg. I am lucky I healthy that way. I am reading it because it has good ideas about the mind body connection. They address symptoms that you are describing your DH is going through. Having those kinds of problems your husband is going through can make your life miserable. Prayers for both of you.

:heart: Margaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like I have no choice nut to off of the Ambien 10 mg this week. I only have 3 left! So I am glad I have the 5 mg tablet here now. I do a reserve box just I case I am ever in situations line some of are in. Electricity is out, you may be flooded, you might not be able to get out because of trees down anyway, one day I kept an empty cat litter container, it seems pretty waterproof yet I have never tested it and I have about a month accumulated of each drug we are on including our vitamins and loose aspirin. And Tylenol, Aleve and Advil and Tums. We are taken care of. So I have a months worth of Ambien and Narco in that box. But I will give the 5 mg dose of Ambien a good college try. It will be Wednesday night and I dint have anything planned for the next day.y
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Katiebug - Hi! Good to hear from you.

Katla - You missed the words "ex" and "if" in my post. First marriage would have been 47 years IF we had stayed together. This marriage is my second (36 years). It's not going to make it into the 40s.

Glad to see some Newbies joining us. Welcome!

TNToni
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone in OR was going to see Leigh while she is there and surprised we haven't heard from her.

Lenora my lips are sealed. So happy for them (and you) and hope all continues to go well. flying-stork-carrying-a-baby-smiley-emoticon.gif

RJ's team trounced the other one 28-7! He is a lineman and got to play more than I had expected.cheerleading-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,373 Member
    Options
    Diane - CONGRATULATIONS on being overweight. :drinker: I well remember the day I left obese behind me. I sooooooo hated that word and was shocked to see it on the doctor's screen. :'(

Well my friends, today I WON THE LOTTERY! :D Actually I won around $28 . :) It still feels good though. I haven't won anything for ages.

Expecting a delivery any minute. They only have half the pastis I ordered, but we can get by! They don't keep a big stock in as it's a bit of a rarity.

My official post cruise and grandparent duty weigh in has put me at 2 lbs gain. Not bad for 3 weeks. I will earnestly apply myself to getting it off again. It's great to be back in a routine.

Done a big batch of chickpeas in the IP for freezing. Plus Greek yoghourt/cheese. Going to do a big chilli today to eat and freeze. It's pretty much in constant use. :D Quinoa and giant couscous will be next. My sprouted beans are bagged and frozen in 4 oz packets.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Had a happy, hectic goodbye with DD. Having my 12 yo niece and DH meet us for lunch was a nice way to ease the parting. DN and DH and I then went up to Niagra Falls--that never gets old, just awe-filled. Today my big challenge is whether we head to a state fair (going east to Syracuse) or drive back the way we came through Corning - we're being quite spontaneous which is unusual for DH. We are enjoying our little 12 yo, kind of reminds of us of ours- just sweet. She stops for all kinds of flowers to photographed them, she has quite an artistic eye.

Heather your enthusiasm to get back to business of food prep and maintenance was just what I needed to read- I will join that journey tomorrow.

Strength and peace to All facing challenges today.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,827 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    slept pretty well without the meletonin.. now sometime today I will tell Tom I will no longer being paying all the bills, thats gonna go over like a lead balloon but, I cant afford to move into the condo with nothing..and I will have to pay for utilities and internet and things of the sort.. so I will buy groceries ,and groomers for the dogs,but other than that its on him.. if the lease is correct It will be a month from friday that I move in..
    watching the weather channel and am freaking out at all the water down in Houston and surrounding area's keeping all my Texas friends in my prayers.. stay safe.. love ya xoxo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :) I bought new waterproof shoes for dog walking and I'm going to wear them this morning even though it hasn't rained in a long time. My old ones that I bought in November were finally falling apart. I tend to wear shoes longer than I should because I'm so thrifty and hate to throw things out if there is any use left in them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,218 Member
    Options
    Today ... a short, quick walk at the beach just to get a bit of fresh air and exercise. Still trying to shake this sinus infection brought to me by the Big Australian Cold. We might have walked longer, but it was freezing out there. Snow down to about 200 metres and a cold, cold wind. My sinuses weren't too happy about that. Still it was nice to get out for a little bit. Always love watching the waves at the beach, even if it is nowhere near warm enough to stick a toe in the water.

Otherwise just studying.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Morning, all...

Allie - you are just leaps and bounds stronger than you were when I "met" you here a couple years back. You're amazing, and I'm proud of you every time I see you post.

Chore day for me, as I was driving most of Friday, and exhausted on my return. Laundry's whirling, and I HAVE to get the accounts caught up today... Been putting that off for way too long, and need it off my to-do list.

One chore that's not on my list any more is writing the op/eds for the newspaper. I've been writing for them for nearly three years this time (two years the first time), and bluntly, there are times when I'm just kind of phoning it in. Particularly in the current acrid political climate here in the U.S. There are only so many times you can say the same thing. This is my second run at it, and about 250 columns written, all told. I've got enough saved to put the sequel together to my book, and it's time I got that done. Not today, I might add! :)

But... been bopping all over the 'Net in between writing these paragraphs, so it's already time to go rescue my work slacks from the dryer. Love y'all!

Lisa in cloudy but dry West Texas
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn ~ Thinking of you and all the folks affected by the storm.

Photos ~ Thanks to all you talented ladies who have shared your photography! They are truly beautiful.

We went to the 6 yr old's pool party yesterday and loved seeing all the fun those children were having.

Carol from GA