Losing Grip on Deadlifts

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I lifted 175 last week and was fine...put on 180 lbs today and apparently that was the tipping point for my grip. I'm doing 5x5, so I'm not doing endless reps, but still by rep 3 I'm slipping. The rest of my body feels like it can handle the weight. How do I fix this? Should I stay at 180 for a little while and see if my grips catches up?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Chalk.
    Mixed grip.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Alternate grips (Over Under)

Chalk

Straps

I am still able to do alternate grips on 405+
  • JTick
    Options
    I am using an alternate grip, have been since about 125 lbs. I am not sure if my gym allows chalk...is that something I would be able to wipe off the barbell after I'm done?
  • JTick
    Options
    Also, how exactly do you use the straps? I've seen them, but haven't really been able to comprehend how they work.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you gripping the bar correctly?

you should really try and have it right where your knuckle meets the palm of your hand...if you have it in the plam of your hand you will jack your hand up and lose grip ..

You can also do some grip exercises to strengthen...I do mixed grip at 380#....
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This video shows what I do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_ibNvIoog

How are you doing in your other lifts? I found my forearm and grip strength increase naturally through doing other compounds and definitely on weight pullups/chinups
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Most chain gyms don't allow chalk anymore. You can use liquid chalk, or just be really discrete by using a chalkball. Chalk helps dry your grip. SUPER handy if you have sweaty hands.

In your case though... I'd avoid straps for the time being.

One thing that helped my wife is just to stand and hold the bar after her reps as long as she can. She started having grip issues around the same weight. Now she can pull 220 and hold the bar for more than ten seconds - double overhand grip.

ps- if you use gloves, try without.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Chalk was going to be my suggestion, too... You can avoid making a mess if you get some sidewalk or blackboard chalk and apply it to the part of your palm where the fingers meet the hand (right where the calluses are). That's all the chalk you need for a secure grip.

Gloves are a poor substitute for chalk because they increase the diameter of whatever you're trying to grasp. That makes gripping harder. If your hands are already small, that only makes things worse. If anyone at the gym gives you trouble, offer to wipe down the bar and lifting area afterward and explain why we use chalk.

As far as strengthening your grip, hanging exercises (pull-ups and chins) have been mentioned, and you could try farmer's walks.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using straps?
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    straps

I prefer to force me grip strength to increase by not using straps.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    straps

Ditto... There is a place for straps, but I don't think a novice lifter should be using them.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    straps

Ditto... There is a place for straps, but I don't think a novice lifter should be using them.

Agreed.
  • DavPul
    Options
    i prefer to not have my back strength limited by a weak grip. my back is stronger than my forearms so why would i let the forearms dictate my total volume and max lift?

why can't he go strapless until his grip gives out, then continue with straps to complete his workout? since we all believe in the power of progression his grip strength should incrementally improve on a regular basis, no?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Look at getting a pair of Versa Grips. They are like straps but easier and quicker to use.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Versa Gripps are da bomb!
    :bigsmile:

Edited so as not to be a sexist jerk. Doh!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Are you regripping between reps? You can set the bar on the ground, reset your grip, and do the next rep.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    i prefer to not have my back strength limited by a weak grip. my back is stronger than my forearms so why would i let the forearms dictate my total volume and max lift?

why can't he go strapless until his grip gives out, then continue with straps to complete his workout? since we all believe in the power of progression his grip strength should incrementally improve on a regular basis, no?

OP is a she. But regardless, having a strong grip is a major quality of life issue, and ideally one would want to develop that along with back strength. I would liken giving a novice lifter straps for DL to giving a calculator to someone still mastering basic arithmetic. A calculator is a great tool, but you kinda need how to do your sums to function.
  • DavPul
    Options
    being able to grip 175 pounds for more than 20 secs is a major quality of life issue?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    being able to grip 175 pounds for more than 20 secs is a major quality of life issue?

LOL!!!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Chalk, mixed grip, farmers carries, dead hangs from a pull up bar, straps, liquid chalk, gloves.