Losing Grip on Deadlifts

124»

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    I'm glad that pcastagner is so keen on working his grip strength that he has forgotten to take care of the rest of his body. Or at least that's what the pudge in his picture makes it look like.

I do deadlifts as a posterior chain lift. I do my warmup and most of my working sets until my last one or two without using straps. Then on the last set, which is for reps, I put the straps on so I do not limit my work to my wrists. As I increase my weight I am still able to pick up the progressively heavier weights.

I'm proud of my progress, but I will admit it was painful to read this. Mostly because I have a history of being picked on for being fat as a kid, but also because I decided to make a change after years of cumulative emotional anguish resulting from hating my body. It never goes away and i can only assume if you are here you know exactly what i mean. Along the way I've always used my current physique as my profile pic like many people here. If you click on it and look at my profile, you can see I've made a huge change in a short time. I hope the day never comes though, when I start to look down on others for not being thin enough for me to the extent that I feel it's ok to ridicule how they look.

Why do you feel it is ok to call me fat? How do you think it makes others feel who aren't as far down the road to getting fit? Insult me, fine. If ad hominem is ALL you got, it's all you got. But no need to insult 2/3rds of the community. Dav and I may talk smack to each other but it's not vicious and it is for laughs. This is not the place to insult the appearance of others.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Heres an alternative why not do faster reps so less time your gripping the bar? Have more power from your legs etc..
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

So after reading this are you going to use straps or lift the bar by yourself? It's not just me telling you to go strapless.

If you all had taken a break from the pissing match and put the rulers away for a minute, you would have seen my post addressing my answer. I would like to try to improve my grip, but as stated a couple times now in the thread, I have a wrist injury that makes it where I might not be able to increase my grip, at which point I will start using straps. I will not stop lifting if the wrist injury interferes with my ability to grip more weight. And if that is the case, then I guess I will just have to have a terrible quality of life as I get older, and get someone else to open my peanut butter jars.
  • JTick
    Heres an alternative why not do faster reps so less time your gripping the bar? Have more power from your legs etc..

At this point, I feel like I'm lifting as fast as I could without losing form or injuring myself. I definitely don't doddle around haha.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member

So after reading this are you going to use straps or lift the bar by yourself? It's not just me telling you to go strapless.

If you all had taken a break from the pissing match and put the rulers away for a minute, you would have seen my post addressing my answer. I would like to try to improve my grip, but as stated a couple times now in the thread, I have a wrist injury that makes it where I might not be able to increase my grip, at which point I will start using straps. I will not stop lifting if the wrist injury interferes with my ability to grip more weight. And if that is the case, then I guess I will just have to have a terrible quality of life as I get older, and get someone else to open my peanut butter jars.

I like you.
  • JTick

I like you.

:flowerforyou:
  • pcastagner

I seriously doubt you have a wrist injury that just happens to limit your Deadlift to just under 175 and suddenly kicks in just above that. I think you can do it.

Sorry about the pissing match. It happens from time to time. I lose mental focus when running a deficit (im pudgy with loose skin as pointed out above) I'm reading on an iPhone so your answer is hard to see among the insults.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

JTick, please stop hijacking the thread or imma hav to report you
  • JTick

I seriously doubt you have a wrist injury that just happens to limit your Deadlift to just under 175 and suddenly kicks in just above that.

Sorry about the pissing match. It happens from time to time. I lose mental focus when running a deficit (im pudgy with loose skin as pointed out above) I'm reading on an iPhone so your answer is hard to see among the insults.

Please reread the post. I am going to TRY. There is no harm in trying. I WANT to improve my grip. YES, there is a certain amount of nerve and tendon damage in my wrist, and when it pinches, it pinches. This also affects my grip on barbell rows, and I'm only at 75 lbs on those. I am saying, I will do my best to increase it, but if all I get is another ten pounds out of it, then such is life.

And no worries, I'm just hangry.
  • JTick

JTick, please stop hijacking the thread or imma hav to report you

I know, right?!?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    So anyway, just keep doing what you stated you intend on doing. Also updating with your progress on that front may be interesting.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    I like the quality, not just the quantity, of this thread.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Bionic Men's Full Finger Gloves
    Mixed Grip

Able to dead lift 395lb's @ 1 Rep after that I have no grip at all. Though I just need to get my forearms in better shape. I should easily be able to do 445's when I fix that issue.

I do a couple forearm exercises when I do my shoulders/abs day.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Mixed Grip

Able to dead lift 395lb's @ 1 Rep after that I have no grip at all. Though I just need to get my forearms in better shape. I should easily be able to do 445's when I fix that issue.

I keep saying it so I'll say it again, Snatch-Grip Deadlifts my friend. This **** is brutal on the grip and a great deadlift accessory exercise.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Mixed Grip

I keep saying it so I'll say it again, Snatch-Grip Deadlifts my friend. This **** is brutal on the grip and a great deadlift accessory exercise.

You mean the hook grip? It is a strong grip, but it has some downsides for the deadlift compared to the (quicker) explosive lifts.

In any case, here's a useful discussion of this grip. I have giant Man Hands so I can do the hook grip without a problem on a regular bar, but it might not help OP as she probably has normal average-sized woman hands.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/monster-garage-gym-hook-grip-101-its-a-love-hate-relationship/
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Mixed Grip

You mean the hook grip? It is a strong grip, but it has some downsides for the deadlift compared to the (quicker) explosive lifts.

In any case, here's a useful discussion of this grip. I have giant Man Hands so I can do the hook grip without a problem on a regular bar, but it might not help OP as she probably has normal average-sized woman hands.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/monster-garage-gym-hook-grip-101-its-a-love-hate-relationship/

Hook grip yes, but you use the very wide hand-positioning of the snatch-grip. Basically you use a hook grip and grip the bar pretty far out, close to the collar. It puts a huge strain on your grip and forces you to start from a lower position on the DL.
  • pcastagner
    I can't do the snatch grip because my massive pudge gets in the way of banding down that far.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    my coach asked me this, "are you going to compete in powerlifting?" I said nope....his response was to use straps but your grip does get stronger over time to catch up sort-of-speak with the weight. If you're DL'ing and finding grip is going may just be better to use straps to keep weight progressing on the bar. Your grip will catch up and if it tends to lag for whatever reason then you can add assistance work.