Losing Grip on Deadlifts

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    ^but what if *you* are the weakest link? but do tell me some imaginative stories about ordinary lives being improved on a day to day basis by having massive grip strength. please share, my self aware but under-dressed friend.

Rescuing damsels in distress from stuck jar lids and bottle caps is sort of a hobby of mine now. This is important stuff, brother.

It's ALMOST as if you primarily use your hands to interact with your environment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,943 Member
    Personally I use straps for heavier poundages on deadlifts. I don't use them till I get up to about 245lbs.

When I do rows or pullups, I exclusively use straps because I'm focusing on back "building" and not arms at all.

Nothing wrong with straps if grip strength can't keep up with a back workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So are you saying it would be IMPOSSIBLE for you to develop your grip strength so that the straps are not necessary, without making a sacrifice in back strength?
    Impossible no. Not any more impossible than me try to run a marathon. I don't have any desire to have better than average gripping strength just like I have no desire to run a marathon.
    Because it seems to me that the way the human hand is designed, it's the other way around, and grip strength has less of an absolute limit on it than back strength. Which might explain how free climbers can pull themselves up using some really freaky and inconveniently shaped handholds.
    You do realize that weight has a lot to do with this too. American Ninja warrior has athletes with tremendous grip strength...................with an average weight of about 140lbs. Throw 50lbs on that and it affects what can be done.
    I know that for me, if my back can lift something but I can't hold on to it, that's a bigger disappointment than if my back can't handle the load. That's because I mainly use my hands to manipulate objects and interact with my environment. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
    Our goals are different then. I shoot for maximal exertion on a muscle I focus on. The "weak link" is assisted by straps. Don't see why it's an issue to debate about.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You are right to point out that it depends on your goals. I'm pointing out that a clever person will notice just how handy it is to be able to grip and hold at least 2x your body weight.

handy to do what, exactly? still waiting on a real world example
  • pcastagner
    You are right to point out that it depends on your goals. I'm pointing out that a clever person will notice just how handy it is to be able to grip and hold at least 2x your body weight.

I don't throw pearls to swine. If your life includes no examples of activities needing a strong grip, we have such radically different lifestyles that I doubt you could relate. I like a challenging and spontaneous life and don't always remember to bring all my crutches with me.

And you already got two good examples (the groceries and the opening difficult jars)
  • pcastagner
    Personally I use straps for heavier poundages on deadlifts. I don't use them till I get up to about 245lbs.

When I do rows or pullups, I exclusively use straps because I'm focusing on back "building" and not arms at all.

Nothing wrong with straps if grip strength can't keep up with a back workout.

IDEA Fitness member

So are you saying it would be IMPOSSIBLE for you to develop your grip strength so that the straps are not necessary, without making a sacrifice in back strength?
    Impossible no. Not any more impossible than me try to run a marathon. I don't have any desire to have better than average gripping strength just like I have no desire to run a marathon.
    Because it seems to me that the way the human hand is designed, it's the other way around, and grip strength has less of an absolute limit on it than back strength. Which might explain how free climbers can pull themselves up using some really freaky and inconveniently shaped handholds.
    You do realize that weight has a lot to do with this too. American Ninja warrior has athletes with tremendous grip strength...................with an average weight of about 140lbs. Throw 50lbs on that and it affects what can be done.
    I know that for me, if my back can lift something but I can't hold on to it, that's a bigger disappointment than if my back can't handle the load. That's because I mainly use my hands to manipulate objects and interact with my environment. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
    Our goals are different then. I shoot for maximal exertion on a muscle I focus on. The "weak link" is assisted by straps. Don't see why it's an issue to debate about.

IDEA Fitness member

I can accept that. Seems reasonable. My goals ARE more tilted towards the being a ninja department than the grow as big as possible as fast as possible department, and my optimal body weight is no more than about 175 (probably an absolute max. I am 5 foot 10 and have a light build).

But remember, we are talking about 175 lbs only, and an optimal handhold (the bar). Even with your goals, you don't use straps at that weight.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    You should see how many shopping bags I can get up 4 flights of stairs :P

To the OP, I think your question is basically answered but as you said the main goal is strength I would still work on increasing that grip strength as you go. Just in case you do want to enter any comps in the future you don't want to have to suddenly increase your grip strength to compete.

My grip exercises of choice are lots of pullups, deadhangs (and I do these at chin at bar and 90deg elbow flexion), deadlifts and hold the last rep for as long as possible. I haven't used straps much in the past but now that I'm doing up to 15 work sets of deadlifts I need to as I kept having callous issues. I now do my main sets strapless and assistance stuff like pause pulls and box pulls with straps.
  • DavPul

I don't throw pearls to swine. If your life includes no examples of activities needing a strong grip, we have such radically different lifestyles that I doubt you could relate. I like a challenging and spontaneous life and don't always remember to bring all my crutches with me.

And you already got two good examples (the groceries and the opening difficult jars)

so you're saying you don't have anything. got it, thanks.

i don't know many people that carry 200 pounds worth of groceries in a month, much less on one trip while holding on to the bags with their bare hands. and if it takes 200 pounds of force to open a pickle jar i'm going to use a sledgehammer instead.

i'll let you get back to your exciting and spontaneous life that doesn't seem to include any relevant examples of backing up what you say but does include plenty of unfounded insults. good luck in all of your fitness goals. looks like you'll need it. take care lil fella
  • pcastagner

so you're saying you don't have anything. got it, thanks.

i don't know many people that carry 200 pounds worth of groceries in a month, much less on one trip while holding on to the bags with their bare hands. and if it takes 200 pounds of force to open a pickle jar i'm going to use a sledgehammer instead.

i'll let you get back to your exciting and spontaneous life that doesn't seem to include any relevant examples of backing up what you say but does include plenty of unfounded insults. good luck in all of your fitness goals. looks like you'll need it. take care lil fella

Ok, you win. Now run along and let the grownups discuss the topic.
  • pcastagner
    For those with reading comprehension skills, I thought this page summed up some pretty good reasons for having a strong grip.

http://www.astonefitness.com/blog/exercise-and-fitness/building-grip-wrist-strength#.UfX2zcsaySM
  • This content has been removed.
  • DavPul
    Ok, you win. Now run along and let the grownups discuss the topic.

Thanks Dad! And good luck with those pickle jars too
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Train grip strength separately and use grips.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    And clearly none of you work with horses or cattle.
  • pcastagner

Sometimes I wonder if they ever actually go outside, or exert themselves at all outside the confines of a safe p90x session with the AC on full blast.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member

Sometimes I wonder if they ever actually go outside, or exert themselves at all outside the confines of a safe p90x session with the AC on full blast.

I see lots of people walking dogs that weigh 80 lb or more that they cannot physically control. A mastiff can weigh as much as 250 lb.
  • pcastagner

I see lots of people walking dogs that weigh 80 lb or more that they cannot physically control. A mastiff can weigh as much as 250 lb.

Those people just need better straps.

Come to think of it, I probably just should get permanent straps for things I like to do like kayaking or in case someone asks me to help them move an appliance. Also for self defense, you need good straps to tie to your attacker so you can immobilize a limb. And when putting together stupid ****ing ikea furniture and you stick a dowel in the wrong whole, you just need a really tiny strap.

Straps. What did the human race ever do before straps?

You know, come to think of it, I don't need any of this fitness and strength crap in everyday life. I could just stay indoors, work in an office, and make sure I always have tools to assist me with lifting, pushing, squeezing, gripping, pulling, and even thrusting. Do we even need to run or walk, really? No.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

I have worked with horses for 16 years. I can muck stalls, sling hay, and keep hold of a rank horse with the best of them. My grip strength has never been an issue, and can hold up to throwing 600 bales of hay. And, since apparently my grip is only 180 lbs strong, I feel your point is not supporting your stance.
  • DavPul

Lolz. Please share the techniques that have given you such an outstanding physique and world beating strength. I can only hope to learn from your immense experience and wisdom.

Brb, gotta go use my P90x resistance bands in my climate controlled room.
  • JoRocka

[/quote]

[/quote]
    maybe they should teach their dogs to walk on a leash- much like I teach all my animals to do- because let's be real- grip strength isn't going to help when a 1000 lb animal freaks out.
    I have worked with horses for 16 years. I can muck stalls, sling hay, and keep hold of a rank horse with the best of them. My grip strength has never been an issue, and can hold up to throwing 600 bales of hay. And, since apparently my grip is only 180 lbs strong, I feel your point is not supporting your stance.
    it was a joke- you should know better if you have worked with horses for 16 years that your going to lose if they decide they are going to geek out. Seriously 1000 lbs of fighting horse flesh vs us? really grip strength??- Imma go buy you some humor at wal-mart- I think they are running a special on it he eh he he he he
    I'm glad that pcastagner is so keen on working his grip strength that he has forgotten to take care of the rest of his body. Or at least that's what the pudge in his picture makes it look like.

I do deadlifts as a posterior chain lift. I do my warmup and most of my working sets until my last one or two without using straps. Then on the last set, which is for reps, I put the straps on so I do not limit my work to my wrists. As I increase my weight I am still able to pick up the progressively heavier weights.

you weirded me out with your back/tattoo picture- LOL I just changed mine so I'm not used to seeing it and I only skimmed the response- I was like I DIDN"T WRITE THAT- then I realized- it wasn't my name anyway.

LOL
    should pay more attention she should.
  • JTick
    it was a joke- you should know better if you have worked with horses for 16 years that your going to lose if they decide they are going to geek out. Seriously 1000 lbs of fighting horse flesh vs us? really grip strength??- Imma go buy you some humor at wal-mart- I think they are running a special on it he eh he he he he

oh, that was you trying to be funny?!? Sorry, you're just not very good at making jokes.
  • JoRocka
    neither is your face but I don't complain so much about that.

:P
  • JTick
    Also, YOU should know that any horseman worth his oats will never lose a grip on a horse...us vs. 1000 lbs or not.

oh, that was you trying to be funny?!? Sorry, you're just not very good at making jokes.
  • bumblebums

maybe they should teach their dogs to walk on a leash- much like I teach all my animals to do- because let's be real- grip strength isn't going to help when a 1000 lb animal freaks out.

When I see someone walking a 1000 lb dog, I'll be sure to suggest this tip to them.
  • JoRocka
    Also, YOU should know that any horseman worth his oats will never lose a grip on a horse...us vs. 1000 lbs or not.

baw ha ha ha ha ha

yeah okay. I'm seriously not getting into an argument about how strong you should be to hold a horse down. it's about training not strength. Anyone who thinks they can manhandle a horse with strength is an idiot- you either train them or not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,943 Member
    Straps. What did the human race ever do before straps?
    Lol, that's an easy one.....................we used ropes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    lol. still waiting for stories on how being able to grip 200+ pounds will help you significantly in real life. i'm not knocking grip strength at all by asking that, am i? just a bit of reasonable back up for your assertions? no, too crazy?

well, maybe you can tell me more stories about your speed rope. they were fascinating the first time. tell me more

You kind of are knocking grip strength.

I want to thank you for being the key party in by far one of the dumbest thread sidesteps I've read in a couple weeks.

He wasn't knocking grip strength, no reasonable person could reach that silly conclusion. Either way, thanks for the amusement.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I should have read further, this thread got better. Now there's a horsey tug of humor war. Excellent.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Wow... not reading all this back and forth. LOL

I'm on the straps are a crutch wagon myself, don't like them if you're working on strength development. Have you tried alternating which hands are over/under?

Do some accessory work to help with grip strength. Snatch-Grip Deadlifts are my new favorite accessory movement for both improving the deadlift and simultaneously your grip strength. Following your main worksets, do a couple sets of 8-10 reps at about 50% of the weight you're using.
    yeah okay. I'm seriously not getting into an argument about how strong you should be to hold a horse down. it's about training not strength. Anyone who thinks they can manhandle a horse with strength is an idiot- you either train them or not.

Yeah, totally agree. Controlling a horse or any large animal is a factor of training.
  • bumblebums
    I should have read further, this thread got better. Now there's a horsey tug of humor war. Excellent.

We'll see who's laughing when you try walking this guy and he lunges at a squirrel, dbmata.

08100913.jpg
  • pcastagner

Your grip strength would be in psi if measured and is based not just on the weight but the handhold as well. Having a stronger grip will certainly make mucking a stall feel easier. Just like squatting makes getting up out of a chair feel easier. Actually, very few things in life will come close to pushing your 3rm when you train, but that's not why we work on strength. Being strong means everything costs you less. Grip is, therefore, going to contribute to making life good. As you age it will be increasingly important since your decline over time will start from somewhere.

So after reading this are you going to use straps or lift the bar by yourself? It's not just me telling you to go strapless.