Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think campfires are a necessary part of camping?

13»

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    yes.

article-2540742-1AB8D2D100000578-774_964x640.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2017
    I prefer backcountry camping, so the question as to location is moot - since it has been many years since I have camped in the frontcountry.

Rarely do I make a fire. If I'm with others who want to, then perhaps we will, but almost never when on my own. The reason to make a fire is if there is some need / benefit to doing so. Last time, it was to manage a mosquito situation of the worst level I've ever seen (they were large and numbered in the hundreds per cubic foot - I couldn't believe how bad they were). In a case of hypothermia, that would be a good reason to build a fire. I don't do it just for fun (except with a group who wants a fire to gather around).

Edit: Actually, no... I spent 2 nights in the frontcountry before my last backpacking trip. Cheaper than a hotel and I did a half marathon the day before hiking, so car camped the night before and the night after the race. Despite that there was a fire ring, I did not build a campfire. Just like I did not in the backcountry (it would not have been permitted anyway where I was camping in the backcountry.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been an avid camper for much of my life and while not a necessity, a campfire is nice to have. When my wife and I did more backpacking and back country camping, it really was just dependent on if we were in an area where we could find fuel as well as the weather conditions...we start getting monsoon thunderstorms here in July and they run through September, so it can be hard to find dry fuel when in the back country.

These days with kids, we're in a travel trailer either in a designated forest service campground or boondocking off one of the many forest roads. Unless we are under a no burn, we have a fire and I usually bring my own wood.

We usually get it going in the early evening before dark and enjoy some beers or cocktails and then dinner. We get the kids to bed at dark and then throw another log or so on and have another couple beers while the fire slowly dies down...once it's down we spend a good 30 minutes or so just watching the stars, though sometimes the canopy is such that we can't see much.

We keep our fires relatively small...I've had friends camp with us and start throwing on a bunch of logs and it irritates me because the fire is just too big...don't need 8 ft flames...

They let you bring in your own wood? Everywhere I have ever camped, this is a HUGE no-no. There is so much concern about bringing in bugs/disease from other places that I always see signs forbidding this.

Some places allow kiln-dried &/or from within a certain distance radius.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I usually prefer without a fire. You can't see many stars from the middle of a big city, so the night sky is a treat for me. When I camp, I can see the Milky Way. The Perseid meteor shower is going to peak this weekend. A campfire distracts from all of this. Also, the best camps here are at high enough altitude that trees are scarce and fires are prohibited.

BTW, I'm heading to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota next week for a canoe trip....I'm hoping to still catch some of the Perseid meteor shower.

Have fun. I have only been in the Boundary Waters in the middle of winter . . . easier to get across the lakes when you have 8 dogs pulling your sled (easier to get the sled across the portages too). Love it up there, especially when the wolves get howling.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've done a good bit of backwoods canoe camping over the years.

A campfire can be lovely, if conditions are safe, and there's a responsible source of fuel.

But I can turn out a decent meal on a tiny backpacking stove when necessary, no problem. In fact, for most actual cooking - not just keeping a pot of water hot, making s'mores, grilling meat/fish - the stove is superior.

And the better temperature control makes baking in the backpacker "oven" easier to get right. Fresh scones, anyone? ;)

I don't know . . . your scones sound good but I am known for my quiche, chocolate cakes, and sourdough bread cooked in a Dutch oven in campfire coals.

All kidding aside, I usually have campfires when car camping but almost never when backpacking.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I'd say yes they're necessary if only for the roasted marshmallows.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Necessity? No.

It's a nice luxury given the scenario, but like all things, there is a distinct proper place and time for one. I rarely lit one backpacking and opt for my micro stove instead. With a little ingenuity you can make some phenomenal meals with only one pot.

You have to be wary of local rules and regulations, so check with the ranger station prior to venturing out. You can also check weather to ensure the area is not too dry and risk an out of control fire.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited August 2017
    I've been an avid camper for much of my life and while not a necessity, a campfire is nice to have. When my wife and I did more backpacking and back country camping, it really was just dependent on if we were in an area where we could find fuel as well as the weather conditions...we start getting monsoon thunderstorms here in July and they run through September, so it can be hard to find dry fuel when in the back country.

These days with kids, we're in a travel trailer either in a designated forest service campground or boondocking off one of the many forest roads. Unless we are under a no burn, we have a fire and I usually bring my own wood.

We usually get it going in the early evening before dark and enjoy some beers or cocktails and then dinner. We get the kids to bed at dark and then throw another log or so on and have another couple beers while the fire slowly dies down...once it's down we spend a good 30 minutes or so just watching the stars, though sometimes the canopy is such that we can't see much.

We keep our fires relatively small...I've had friends camp with us and start throwing on a bunch of logs and it irritates me because the fire is just too big...don't need 8 ft flames...

They let you bring in your own wood? Everywhere I have ever camped, this is a HUGE no-no. There is so much concern about bringing in bugs/disease from other places that I always see signs forbidding this.

Only when I'm camping in the area where my wood is sourced which is most of the time. We usually camp in the Jemez Mountains here locally which is about 45 minutes away from my front door and where my wood is sourced.

That's cool then. :)
    We are super-sensitive around here because of devastating damage from emerald ash borers.

I actually looked further into this out of curiosity. It is permissible to move firewood throughout the state of NM so long is it was sourced within the state with the exception of wood originating in Dona Ana County which is under quarantine.

It is not permissible to move firewood sourced in NM to other states (which I knew) and vice versa (which I assumed).

We primarily camp in the Jemez mountains locally (which is where I source my wood) or a bit further north in Carson National Forest. We occasionally camp in Southern Co and have never taken wood and it's nice that every campground we've been to there has it for sale (for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to happen around here). We also camped at the Grand Canyon a few years back and same deal...