how much carbs is too much carbs? - dietary help

Options

Replies

• laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes, OP is having too much carbohydrates and not enough protein

Making that determination on the basis of a single day (one that the OP says wasn't "very good," as in possibly not completely representational of how she usually eats) seems hasty.

I was just thinking this. Also didn't see OP's stats anywhere, so that further blurs his/her needs. Also a few entries were questionable (egg had only calories listed, I think?).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the carbs it looks like you are not getting enough protein. Various research differs on the exact number but there's good evidence that getting enough protein while in a caloric deficit is protective of your muscle mass. If you eat a larger percentage of protein, your carbs will automatically go down.
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Why don't you explain it and cite your sources?

I'm pretty sure this is what this person was getting at. This is an overview, I'm sure we all understand that this isn't a complete text on the human metabolism.

Your body uses three types of molecules for fuel: glucose, alcohol, and ketones. Right? Your body uses them in that order.

The glucose in your blood is used for immediate energy and it is stored in your muscle as glycogen. So, if your glycogen stores are full any glucose in your blood not used immediately as energy is in excess. I think that's what this person meant by "glycogen overflow".

Glucose also happens to be the only of the three molecules to trigger an insulin response by which I mean it causes your pancreas to release the enzyme insulin. Insulin governs many things, one of them is that it triggers your cells to store glucose, including fat cells, "fat storage". "Insulin spike"

Now, most carbohydrates are immediately turned into glucose when digested by people. So, the equation of carbs with blood glucose is not unreasonable. If you don't have carbs in your diet, you won't have a lot of glucose in your blood. You are going to have a hard time acquiring an excess of glucose in your blood without carbs.

Do you think that what I've said is wildly inaccurate? Do you need sources for that?

I wouldn't say this person's claims are "accurate" but calling them "not accurate in any way" isn't reasonable and it is negative.

This is what I should have posted in the first place.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »

Making that determination on the basis of a single day (one that the OP says wasn't "very good," as in possibly not completely representational of how she usually eats) seems hasty.

I was just thinking this. Also didn't see OP's stats anywhere, so that further blurs his/her needs. Also a few entries were questionable (egg had only calories listed, I think?).

Exactly, it's a bum entry for eggs (and who knows -- maybe some other things). Any professional who would base an opinion that someone wasn't eating enough protein based on a single day of faulty logging . . . not somebody I would have a lot of confidence in, even before they began telling me that I need to worry about a bit of temporary fat storage while I'm losing fat overall in a deficit.

When did I say it was something she should worry about?

Just proving that it's true and that it would be gone by the next day. Some people come on here and give valid true information in the wrong context and everyone decides to attack them and tell them everything they've said is wrong. Everything that person said was true but the context they used made it seem dramatic.

So you're saying it's not relevant to the OP? Okay. Again, I'm really unclear what you're trying to accomplish here.

No worries, I was having a back and forth with @mmapags, so I shall wait until he returns
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Your body uses three types of molecules for fuel: glucose, alcohol, and ketones. Right? Your body uses them in that order.
    Incorrect. The body regards alcohol as a poison. It's not used as fuel per se, oxidation of alcohol takes priority over all other macronutrients. Fat is used as fuel also, as is protein (although the conversion of protein is very inefficient).

Glucose also happens to be the only of the three molecules to trigger an insulin response by which I mean it causes your pancreas to release the enzyme insulin. Insulin governs many things, one of them is that it triggers your cells to store glucose, including fat cells, "fat storage". "Insulin spike"
    Also incorrect. Protein is just as insulogenic as carbohydrates.

http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

lorbor93 wrote: »
    This is what I should have posted in the first place.
    And it still would have been incorrect.

This is good information, but it's incomplete and possibly confusing to someone unfamiliar with the subject. It's true that protein raises insulin levels - and in healthy people, fat also raises insulin levels. (In diabetics for some reason the fat response is lost or lessened).

However, protein and fat do not cause spikes in blood glucose. They do raise glucose, but gradually, and generally less than they raise insulin, which means that blood glucose may actually drop after consuming protein.

Insulin keeps blood glucose levels within range for healthy people, even if they consume large amounts of carbs. However, a substantial percentage of Americans have some insulin resistance.

None of this is particularly relevant to the OP, who has not mentioned any health problems.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »

Exactly, it's a bum entry for eggs (and who knows -- maybe some other things). Any professional who would base an opinion that someone wasn't eating enough protein based on a single day of faulty logging . . . not somebody I would have a lot of confidence in, even before they began telling me that I need to worry about a bit of temporary fat storage while I'm losing fat overall in a deficit.

When did I say it was something she should worry about?

Just proving that it's true and that it would be gone by the next day. Some people come on here and give valid true information in the wrong context and everyone decides to attack them and tell them everything they've said is wrong. Everything that person said was true but the context they used made it seem dramatic.

So you're saying it's not relevant to the OP? Okay. Again, I'm really unclear what you're trying to accomplish here.

No worries, I was having a back and forth with @mmapags, so I shall wait until he returns

So, you want points because you proved that excess blood glucose gets stored as fat? The OP is in a calorie deficit, as others have pointed out. Net fat storage in a day = 0. Please teach us all exactly how glycogen overflow works and how it triggers insulin. As has been pointed out, the likelihood of glycogen reserves being filled to capacity is pretty much nil. If you've got studies on the physiological mechanism that shows glycogen "overflow" put 'em up.
  • goodtroyes
    goodtroyes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    just to add that what i showed in my food entry for that day isn't what i planned to eat for all of my weight loss journey. yesterday wasn't a great day in terms of food but it's only day 3