edited August 2017
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Protein became relevant when you stated that glucose was the only thing that triggers an insulin response, which is clearly incorrect.

NO. That is not what I wrote. This is what I wrote:

Your body uses three types of molecules for fuel: glucose, alcohol, and ketones. Right? Your body uses them in that order.

The glucose in your blood is used for immediate energy and it is stored in your muscle as glycogen. So, if your glycogen stores are full any glucose in your blood not used immediately as energy is in excess. I think that's what this person meant by "glycogen overflow".

Glucose also happens to be the only of the three molecules to trigger an insulin response by which I mean it causes your pancreas to release the enzyme insulin

Yes, your 2nd bolded part is not accurate. Protein also triggers an insulin response. That is what anvil is saying.

Except that protein isn't one of the three molecules.

Are you all just trolling me? This can't be for real.

You're talking in circles. If you're narrowly defining your three molecules and then citing that one of them causes glucose overload leading to insulin spikes and fat storage, it's only right that someone else can point out another molecule that you didn't mention another molecule that also causes insulin spikes.

You're leaving out important information.

No one is trolling you, you're just not painting a complete picture.

I'm not actually trying to paint a picture, though.

I'm not defending this person's claim. I've already said I don't think the claim is accurate.

Let me remind you what my point is here. I'm explaining why calling the things he said, "not accurate in any way" isn't reasonable and is negative.

It's not accurate in any way.

The person is eating in a calorie deficit.

Net fat storage in a calorie deficit doesn't happen.

The teachings of low carb gurus about "fat storing mode" triggered by insulin response are alarmist nonsense. Fat storage/usage is a normal part of the energy cycle we all go through daily and the net result of it depends entirely on energy balance, not substrate balance like they'd like you to think.

Unless you think carbs don't trigger insulin or that insulin doesn't trigger fat storage, it's accurate in some ways.

Pedantry doesn't help posters who are new to the boards who are here and care about losing weight. They care about the net result, and the net result is that they aren't storing fat in an energy deficit, thus, saying that they are in "fat storage mode" due to carbohydrate intake is alarmist nonsense because it won't be permanent fat storage. That stored fat will be called into usage again as part of the normal energy cycle.

It's not pedantry. It's my whole point. It is quite literally the only argument I'm making.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    3) Yes, glucose does trigger an insulin response. But it is not the only molecule that triggers an insulin response. As I have repeated several times now, protein triggers an insulin response equal to carbohydrate. Deliberately leaving protein out of the discussion is cherry-picking to make an irrelevant point. It makes as much sense as saying "between chickens, apples and elephants, chickens are the only thing in the world that has wings."

My only point is that this person was being treated unkindly. If you think that's irrelevant, don't respond to me because I don't have another point.

Otherwise, I'm saying that there are actual physiological truths behind what this person is saying and it's not nice to treat them like they are just spouting complete nonsense. This is a human being.

As I've repeated, I don't think this person was accurate. I just think it's unreasonable to say they are not accurate in any way.

Ah, so you feel I was unkind. Would it be kind to have this kind of inaccuracy not addressed and have someone act on it as truth? You have 463 posts. I have almost 5000, anvil almost 12000 and GottaBurn over 4000. How much myth and inaccuracy do you we think we have seen passed off as true over that amount of participation. It happens every day. If you look back a few post, you will see my encouragement of the poster I originally challenged.

Also, I think it perfectly reasonable to challenge bad data. Maybe I could do that in a less abrasive way and I will take that into consideration. Thank you.

Oh my god, thank you so much for that. That really is all I wanted to say. I really appreciate you hearing me. I worry that I sound sarcastic right now but I'm not trying to be. I genuinely appreciate this a great deal. :)
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    lorbor93 wrote: »
    In addition, some people are more insulin resistant than others. That's why some people can get away with eating higher amounts of carbs than others. This is why some people need to be under 20g net carbs to while others can be at 50g and still be in ketosis.

You'll only know which type of person you are if you try the Dr. Oz Cracker Test ;)

*100% of this post is a joke*

LOL
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Looking at your log. That looks like way too many carbs as there is little room for vegetables and healthy protiens. The human body requires many different protiens, vitamins and minerals to simply function. Everyone needs fats, carbs, salts, but also the vitamins, mineralsand protiens found in greens and fresh fruits and meats. A lot of high carb foods, such as white bread, has very little of the other nutrients you need to function best. There is a reason for the term "balanced" diet.

If you will find yourself struggling:
    The best thing you can do is see an MD that is also a registered dietician. If not then find a registered dietician, not a nutritionist. An RD requires a bachelor's at minimum, not so with a nutritionist (you can literally have a GED and do an online program with very little regulation and become a "certified nutritionist"). Log everything you eat and do, then get thier help.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Well, that was a fun read!

Anywhooo-Op, my own experience: when I started this whole thing I didn't even know what a macro was. I was facing a new medical diagnosis of prediabetes, had never tried losing weight before, had been given no direction by my (former) doctor, and I jumped in blind. I proceeded to lose 50lbs and improve all my health markers, including normalizing my glucose number, all without tracking a single macro. I only focused on reducing my calorie intake, and hitting the correct calorie deficit for my weight loss goals.

I'm now several years into maintaining the loss, and I still don't pay any attention to my macros/don't track them. Because of my medical history I get blood work done twice a year and they consistently come back good with no issues or concerns. I take no medications and have a current bmi of 19.9.

There's a lot of emphasis on finding the 'correct' macros ratios but I don't bother with them and it hasn't negatively impacted my goals at all. I control my weight by my calorie intake and eat a balanced diet that includes all the foods I enjoy. That's worked brilliantly for me :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    3) Yes, glucose does trigger an insulin response. But it is not the only molecule that triggers an insulin response. As I have repeated several times now, protein triggers an insulin response equal to carbohydrate. Deliberately leaving protein out of the discussion is cherry-picking to make an irrelevant point. It makes as much sense as saying "between chickens, apples and elephants, chickens are the only thing in the world that has wings."

My only point is that this person was being treated unkindly. If you think that's irrelevant, don't respond to me because I don't have another point.

Otherwise, I'm saying that there are actual physiological truths behind what this person is saying and it's not nice to treat them like they are just spouting complete nonsense. This is a human being.

As I've repeated, I don't think this person was accurate. I just think it's unreasonable to say they are not accurate in any way.

Ah, so you feel I was unkind. Would it be kind to have this kind of inaccuracy not addressed and have someone act on it as truth? You have 463 posts. I have almost 5000, anvil almost 12000 and GottaBurn over 4000. How much myth and inaccuracy do you we think we have seen passed off as true over that amount of participation. It happens every day. If you look back a few post, you will see my encouragement of the poster I originally challenged.

Also, I think it perfectly reasonable to challenge bad data. Maybe I could do that in a less abrasive way and I will take that into consideration. Thank you.

Oh my god, thank you so much for that. That really is all I wanted to say. I really appreciate you hearing me. I worry that I sound sarcastic right now but I'm not trying to be. I genuinely appreciate this a great deal. :)

You don't sound sarcastic at all. You are quite welcome. I am direct and blunt in my communication style. I realize that can come across as abrasive. I am trying to be better at being less abrasive. It is a work in progress... ;)
  • lorbor93
    Options
    In regards to what macros are satiating, that is entirely individual, so blanket statments about what's filling and what's not don't hold universally true.

In an attempt to rid myself of the last 5 vanity pounds, I started low carbing.

That was a BIG mistake.

It left me hungry, full of cravings, and led to a cycle of binge/restrict that I stayed in for far too long until I figured out that my macros were the problem.

I ended up ultimately gaining weight.

For me personally, I need starchy carbs like whole grains and tubers and beans in my diet in order to feel satiated. Fat and protein alone don't do a thing for me.

this is how i felt the first couple of times i tried to eat low carb. that problem was fixed for me when I added more fat into my diet. everybody's body is different tho, carbs are the devil for some (like me) while they play nice with others (like you)

consider yourself lucky that carbs are kind to your waistline and if you ever do low carb again, try high fat and see how it works for you and if it makes you feel better :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well, that was a fun read!

Anywhooo-Op, my own experience: when I started this whole thing I didn't even know what a macro was. I was facing a new medical diagnosis of prediabetes, had never tried losing weight before, had been given no direction by my (former) doctor, and I jumped in blind. I proceeded to lose 50lbs and improve all my health markers, including normalizing my glucose number, all without tracking a single macro. I only focused on reducing my calorie intake, and hitting the correct calorie deficit for my weight loss goals.

I'm now several years into maintaining the loss, and I still don't pay any attention to my macros/don't track them. Because of my medical history I get blood work done twice a year and they consistently come back good with no issues or concerns. I take no medications and have a current bmi of 19.9.

There's a lot of emphasis on finding the 'correct' macros ratios but I don't bother with them and it hasn't negatively impacted my goals at all. I control my weight by my calorie intake and eat a balanced diet that includes all the foods I enjoy. That's worked brilliantly for me :)
    Great job in taking control of your health!! The key thing you said is that you eat a balanced diet. So, you are balancing your macros adequately. For most that is sufficient. It is when you have more specific sports or fitness related goals that macros become more important. Particularly protein. In the case of the OP, what she posted was not balanced and was carb heavy at the expense of protein and fats.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    In regards to what macros are satiating, that is entirely individual, so blanket statments about what's filling and what's not don't hold universally true.

That was a BIG mistake.

It left me hungry, full of cravings, and led to a cycle of binge/restrict that I stayed in for far too long until I figured out that my macros were the problem.

For me personally, I need starchy carbs like whole grains and tubers and beans in my diet in order to feel satiated. Fat and protein alone don't do a thing for me.

Particularly with women, satiety may even vary greatly week to week for an individual. I'm typically able to anticipate when I'm going to have a carb-heavy week due to cravings & when I can cut back with relative ease.
  • lorbor93
    Options
    lorbor93 wrote: »

That was a BIG mistake.

this is how i felt the first couple of times i tried to eat low carb. that problem was fixed for me when I added more fat into my diet. everybody's body is different tho, carbs are the devil for some (like me) while they play nice with others (like you)

consider yourself lucky that carbs are kind to your waistline and if you ever do low carb again, try high fat and see how it works for you and if it makes you feel better :)

I have familial hypercholesterolemia. A higher fat intake is contraindicated for that.

Well sounds like you figured out what works for you. keep on keepin on.