Replies

• jhenze44
    jhenze44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Just started today!
  • canuckwineguy
    canuckwineguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started two weeks ago, 6' 228lbs looking to lose 35 lbs, let's get this started, I'm in!!
  • shawnamomma74
    shawnamomma74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    smithy08js wrote: »
    I could use some tips on how to get started.

I'll be happy to help if you'd like to add me as your friend
  • CassieGetsFit2013
    CassieGetsFit2013 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I was finally able to download the sheets app so I can add my own weigh ins! Thank you all who were kind to add them for me before. I can do it now. Yay! :wink:
  • smithy08js
    smithy08js Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I could use some tips on how to get started.

I'll be happy to help if you'd like to add me as your friend

Hmm not sure how to add you as my friend.
  • smithy08js
    Options
    I just did a workout for the first time in weeks and I feel great. It was only 30 minutes but it was a challenge and I am sweaty! Now I just need to make healthy eating choices today.
  • shawnamomma74
    Options
    Smithy my phone won't let me message you
  • emigonzal
    emigonzal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal gave me 1400 calories a day to stic to but coworkers say that's too much if I want to lose weight. Anyone know if these may be too many calories? I suffer from chronic pains and so I am very inactive
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @emigonzal As a general rule of thumb, I'd ignore all naysayers when trying to lose weight.

As long as you are consuming less calories than your body burns, you will lose weight. Period. Regardless of how much you exercise. Everyone's metabolism is a bit different, so keep in mind the MFP recommendations are just recommendations, but I'd say MFP is certainly more reliable than your coworkers.

And for reference, I average about 1500 net calories/day, presently weigh 155, and have steadily been losing 1-2lbs/week.
  • smithy08js
    Options
    emigonzal wrote: »
    My fitness pal gave me 1400 calories a day to stic to but coworkers say that's too much if I want to lose weight. Anyone know if these may be too many calories? I suffer from chronic pains and so I am very inactive

A trainer once told me that you need to make sure you are eating enough calories because your body will go into starvation mode and start storing fat.
  • shawnamomma74
    Options

I think 1400 is a great place to start! If you don't see the results you want, drop it to 1200 or add a few short walks. I vary my caloric intake from 1000-1300 per day and consistently lose 2+ lbs a week. Good luck and keep with it!
  • Sunaina25
    Sunaina25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely in
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options

A trainer once told me that you need to make sure you are eating enough calories because your body will go into starvation mode and start storing fat.

Starvation mode is not a thing! This will not happen.
  • DreamNicole234
    DreamNicole234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on medifast and this is round two for me if I stick to program I will lose 30 guaranteed by Christmas and my birthday I also want to lose additional 20 lbs on top of that so my goal is 145lbs and will get there by end of Feb.
  • furiousmunchkin
    furiousmunchkin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great week and having fun participating in this challenge! I haven't had a loss this week, but know that weight loss isn't linear even if we stick to the plan! We must persist! :)
  • Tanstaaflt
    Tanstaaflt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I just completed an August challenge, which was the first time I'd ever joined a support group like this — it really does help with the motivation!

I agree with the previous posters who said that it all comes down to calories, although my own body does fight back by sometimes seeming to stay at the same weight for a long time, or (as has happened for the last two days), GOING UP! But I know that if I just persist, it'll go down. (Easier said than done, of course, with all the candy in my house crying out that all is lost, and to just ask Doctor Chocolate, and everything will feel much, much better.)

I'm planning for a disaster over Labor Day weekend, but then (hopefully) picking up the pieces and getting back on track, afterwards.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to get on the laptop to update. I went up this week but it was expected (but I'm not sure when I initially tracked here anyway). I had a boozy weekend and intended to work to earn back a deficit as I was off work this week... but I've spent it laid up with a sprained foot instead so I'm even more sedentary than usual!! Major oops.
    I'd have earnt it in advance but I didn't know I would be out ALL bank holiday weekend!
  • brendavirgo13
    brendavirgo13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • QUEENxo1992
    QUEENxo1992 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in I want to lose 42 though ! :)
  • ctshorebird
    ctshorebird Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Stayed on track Sun-Thurs, won't weigh till Mon. to post progress. Downfall will be 3 day weekend ahead AND hosting a party Say nite. Will need to imagine having to report back to you all on Monday! Fingers crossed for some loss