Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dym1 wrote: »
    It depends, carbs from veggies, not so much. Carbs from donuts...I like to consider them my frenemy.

a typical glazed donut has about 126 calories coming from dietary fat...about 124 coming from carbs.

but man my glazed raspberry filled krispy kreme was SOOO good this am :)

Lol...I'm so glad I'm not a donut guy. I'd be about 800 Lbs I think. I have one a few times per year...usually father's day with my kids because that's their father's day thing they came up with somehow and then I get some random craving for one a couple other times...usually a chocolate covered with red chile and bacon from Rebel.

It was left from yesterday - once a month I buy a 2 pack for weekend work but I didn't eat one of them
  • c65db
    c65db Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    c65db wrote: »
    I went from 296 lb to 240 lb in 9 months eating 20 gram of carbs or less. I eating around 2000 to 2500 cal. A day never felt better. I was able to get off all of med's my macros were 5 % carbs 20 % protein 75 % fat. I highly recommend the low carb lifestyle. Here's a cool article on an athlete who eats low carb
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/zach-bitter-100-mile-american-record-holder-he-also-eats-almost-no-carbs

And Tour de France riders eat thousands of calories a day in carbs - which is slightly more relevant (but still close to being virtually irrelevant!) to the general population than one ultra marathon runner.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/this-is-what-you-have-to-eat-to-compete-in-the-tour-de-france-182775

Here's a low carb Tour de France rider
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2016/07/low-carb-diet-propelled-chris-froome-three-tour-de-france-titles/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I understand the general concept of food having calories, protein, sugars and such, but never in my life did I think so many things had such high carbs!

Do you think my high intake of carbs could be what is stalling any weight loss? I'm not one to just go crazy on bread or anything, but now I'm worried that even the fruits I eat have such high carbs in them and I'm stressing out on what I should eat.

Any thoughts, suggestions, substitutes, etc would be much appreciated! :smile:

Carbs are not the enemy and they are not stalling your weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    No, carbs aren't the enemy...there are all kinds of highly nutritious carbohydrates...veggies are carbs, fruit is carbs, beans and lentils are carbs, potatoes and sweet potatoes and other starchy root vegetables are carbs...etc,

Not really sure what the point is here...

You should google "blue zones"...healthiest populations in the world...relatively high carbohydrate. There is absolutely not reason to do Keto other than you want to...even if you have health conditions for which carbohydrates should be monitored, keto isn't necessary. My dad was a type II and easily controlled his diabetes with his diet and was nowhere near keto.

I have no health conditions which would warrant something as radical and restrictive as keto...

I am like your dad. I am T2Dm and have to monitor my carbs but I still eat up to 160 grams per day. My health markers are excellent and I take no medication.

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I eat between 150-200g of carbs/day and would be hangry without them! I need a starchy carb at nearly every meal to feel satiated (often squash or potato).

ETA: Hasn't affected my weight loss one bit, and in fact has been MORE successful than previous experiments with low carb diets/ paleo. It's just easier to stick to and gives me tons of energy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    It depends, carbs from veggies, not so much. Carbs from donuts...I like to consider them my frenemy.

@dym1 I just love your avatar!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Good carbs in moderation aren't the enemy at all and I can say that a well controlled type 2 diabetic. I take in around 200 grams of good carbs a day during light workout days and as high as 300 on heavy workout days and my A1C is a 5.3. Its more about how much energy I'm putting out to burn the fuel I'm taking in and how fast those carbs are hitting the bloodstream.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've lost and kept it off without any restriction on carbs or even cutting out anything. Cake, wine, chocolate all feature in my food diary on a regular basis, as do pasta, potatoes, fruit and veg, dairy, wheat etc etc. I am lucky not to have any dietary issues like diabetes or intolerances, so I celebrate that by eating a varied diet of foods I enjoy. CICO.
  • CarolynG93
    CarolynG93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Trying to avoid Carbs here...struggling!
    I usually have toast for breakfast now I'm at a loss...don't like the idea of having a high fat breakfast either