carbs...are they the enemy?

Options

Replies

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    CoriPiche wrote: »
    I eat 20 grams of carbs a day only and have lost 8 inches off waist and hips in 10 days. Down 7 pounds in 10 days.

It's water weight, sorry. It happens in the first week. Losing weight comes from calorie deficit, not carb deficit.
  • kokonani
    Options
    I was miserable on low to no carb. I eat very high carb now abd loving it! Don't be afraid of carbs. It's calories, not carbs.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    No. Simple.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    My domestic Science teacher insisted chips, UK style contain more vit c than boiled or mashed because vit c is water soluble, might apply to French fries too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Meh. You lose about 30-40% of the vitamin C boiling peeled potatoes. If you eat a varied diet, you can get plenty of vitamin C from other sources.

I find boiled potatoes to be one of the most satiating foods I can eat. I'll continue to boil them.

I tend to boil mine early in the day to save time later, and there's an argument to be made that in doing that and reheating them that I'm creating resistant starch, which is all kinds of good for my gut bacteria.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah, C is not something that I'm ever low on (just checked on Cron and I have 177% with just breakfast), and I normally eat potatoes roasted (just like them best that way), can't imagine why there would be some nutritional benefit to frying them. That said, if you love good fries (and I do), no harm in fitting them in occasionally. I just find it weird to refer to them as carbs when they are at least half fat, and the carb part is easily available in lower calorie options and is reasonably nutritious.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks, its just the one thing I remembered, something had to stick from school. Way back then she thought it was important for us to know. (vit c not leaching into the fats) Domestic science teachers have gone the way of the dinosaurs in the intervening decades.
  • kokonani
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Sorry folks, its just the one thing I remembered, something had to stick from school. Way back then she thought it was important for us to know. (vit c not leaching into the fats) Domestic science teachers have gone the way of the dinosaurs in the intervening decades.

What!?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I already posted but...Mmmmm carbs. I think im going to have a big plate of potatoes tonight at dinner. Yummy
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I need to go eat some carbs now. Mmmmm....