Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    c65db wrote: »
    I went from 296 lb to 240 lb in 9 months eating 20 gram of carbs or less. I eating around 2000 to 2500 cal. A day never felt better. I was able to get off all of med's my macros were 5 % carbs 20 % protein 75 % fat. I highly recommend the low carb lifestyle. Here's a cool article on an athlete who eats low carb
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/zach-bitter-100-mile-american-record-holder-he-also-eats-almost-no-carbs

And Tour de France riders eat thousands of calories a day in carbs - which is slightly more relevant (but still close to being virtually irrelevant!) to the general population than one ultra marathon runner.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/this-is-what-you-have-to-eat-to-compete-in-the-tour-de-france-182775

Here's a low carb Tour de France rider
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2016/07/low-carb-diet-propelled-chris-froome-three-tour-de-france-titles/

@c65db

You have fallen for propaganda I'm afraid and that article is a gross mis-representation of the facts and the interview Chris Froome gave. You should look at the same interview on a cycling website to actually see what has been deliberately omitted to twist the facts to suit the agenda.

He actually has a high carb diet (very high when racing) but OCCASIONALLY does a PART of a training session low carb after which guess what he does? He immediately eats a load of carbs to recover and prepare for the next training session.
    To claim him as a low carber is ludicrous.

Chris Froome: "I sometimes do what we call a low-carb ride where I’ll have an omelette in the morning with a bit of avocado or something but no carbohydrates, and stick to that at least for the first few hours of the ride. In theory, it teaches your body to be more efficient and to burn fat as fuel so that when you do come to race day and you fuel up well with carbohydrates before the race, it’s almost like you’ve got a second source of energy that you didn’t have before."

It's part of the preparation of a top level rider to be able to utilise all energy stores efficiently.

shhhh don't bring analytical thinking and logic to the discussion @sijomial....

fwiw - his policy is higher fat for some workouts to help body be more efficient is something that I also do - typically on my lower carb days (250g-ish)
    @deannalfisher
    I achieved the same thing with doing some of my training rides semi-fasted, very noticeable reduction in the need to feed.
    But when I'm doing a long and/or intense ride then carbs are king for performance.
    621g of carbs in one day is my highest this year. And that was with a substantial calorie deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    CarolynG93 wrote: »
    Trying to avoid Carbs here...struggling!
    I usually have toast for breakfast now I'm at a loss...don't like the idea of having a high fat breakfast either

I have always had a lower carb breakfast most of the time. You don't need to eat breakfast foods, but my standard breakfast is a 2 egg vegetable omelet with 2-3 kinds of vegetables (some greens like spinach), feta cheese, and some other kind of protein on the side (smoked salmon, cottage cheese). I might add avocado (higher fat) or fruit (higher carb), but that's the base.

Bigger point, you will be high fat if you cut carbs significantly, that's fine. There's a limit to how much protein is really beneficial (not a low limit, but low fat, low carb doesn't work for a sustainable diet).

(Weirdly I am had a super high carb, low fat breakfast today, but that's rare for me.)

I reiterate that carbs are not the enemy and no need to eat low carb if that doesn't appeal to you, but low carb means higher fat and fat is not the enemy either.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I went from 296 lb to 240 lb in 9 months eating 20 gram of carbs or less. I eating around 2000 to 2500 cal. A day never felt better. I was able to get off all of med's my macros were 5 % carbs 20 % protein 75 % fat. I highly recommend the low carb lifestyle. Here's a cool article on an athlete who eats low carb
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/zach-bitter-100-mile-american-record-holder-he-also-eats-almost-no-carbs

And Tour de France riders eat thousands of calories a day in carbs - which is slightly more relevant (but still close to being virtually irrelevant!) to the general population than one ultra marathon runner.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/this-is-what-you-have-to-eat-to-compete-in-the-tour-de-france-182775

Here's a low carb Tour de France rider
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2016/07/low-carb-diet-propelled-chris-froome-three-tour-de-france-titles/

@c65db

You have fallen for propaganda I'm afraid and that article is a gross mis-representation of the facts and the interview Chris Froome gave. You should look at the same interview on a cycling website to actually see what has been deliberately omitted to twist the facts to suit the agenda.

He actually has a high carb diet (very high when racing) but OCCASIONALLY does a PART of a training session low carb after which guess what he does? He immediately eats a load of carbs to recover and prepare for the next training session.
    To claim him as a low carber is ludicrous.

Chris Froome: "I sometimes do what we call a low-carb ride where I’ll have an omelette in the morning with a bit of avocado or something but no carbohydrates, and stick to that at least for the first few hours of the ride. In theory, it teaches your body to be more efficient and to burn fat as fuel so that when you do come to race day and you fuel up well with carbohydrates before the race, it’s almost like you’ve got a second source of energy that you didn’t have before."

It's part of the preparation of a top level rider to be able to utilise all energy stores efficiently.

shhhh don't bring analytical thinking and logic to the discussion @sijomial....

fwiw - his policy is higher fat for some workouts to help body be more efficient is something that I also do - typically on my lower carb days (250g-ish)
    @deannalfisher
    I achieved the same thing with doing some of my training rides semi-fasted, very noticeable reduction in the need to feed.
    But when I'm doing a long and/or intense ride then carbs are king for performance.
    621g of carbs in one day is my highest this year. And that was with a substantial calorie deficit.

ditto...on race day, my carb intake can be in the high 400's or even break 500 depending on length of race - my nutrition alone for the 56 mile portion of the bike is 200ish g carbs (all liquid nutrition) and then normally a couple bananas as well (so an additional 40-50g)...not including what I take in on the run; or any kind of pre/post race nutrition
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    CarolynG93 wrote: »
    Trying to avoid Carbs here...struggling!
    I usually have toast for breakfast now I'm at a loss...don't like the idea of having a high fat breakfast either

If you're struggling, then this diet is not sustainable to you. Weight loss is hard enough as it is.

Square peg in a round hole scenario.

Exactamundo. And don't be afraid of high fat in the morning either - I've found higher fat foods to be incredibly satiating. My standard breakfast is two cheese sticks and coffee with 2% milk. You've just got to find what works for you.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    I eat carbs right before bed (in the form of a bowl of cereal) and had no issues losing weight...there is even a nutritional study that showed, people who consumed carbs before bed slept better and also were able to retain lean muscle mass better while losing weight - I'd have to dig it out of my files though
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs right before bed (in the form of a bowl of cereal) and had no issues losing weight...there is even a nutritional study that showed, people who consumed carbs before bed slept better and also were able to retain lean muscle mass better while losing weight - I'd have to dig it out of my files though

I usually eat a late dinner (8-8:30) and am in bed by 10. My dinner always includes carbohydrates and is frequently quite carb-heavy. No issues losing weight.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

I usually eat a late dinner (8-8:30) and am in bed by 10. My dinner always includes carbohydrates and is frequently quite carb-heavy. No issues losing weight.

yup! in fact if I don't have my bowl of cereal in the evening - my sleep is much wonkier and not as solid
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Yikes! If I ate a bowl of cereal right before bed, I'd be vomiting in my sleep! My stomach doesn't like to have food in it while I sleep so I try not to eat past 8pm unless I'm planning to stay up late.