For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo

Options

Replies

• wmchick81
    Options
    I've been wondering how exercise calories work. I have saved and printed out the information, so I can read it tonight. It was far too long for me to be able to read on the computer. I have been very confused as to how many calories I am actually suppose to eat on days when I exercise. This should help!
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    It really does! Plus, now that you've responded here, this topic will be under your "My Topics" so you can go back and read it any time. That's what I do. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    And all these great posts are in the sticky posts at the top of the" General Weight Loss" . Scroll through this one - I add on new links all the time - and there are 12 pages of the best and the brightest!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • wmchick81
    Options
    Now my question is how much of my exercise calories do I eat? All of them? A percentage? I'm still confused.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    BUMP
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Now my question is how much of my exercise calories do I eat? All of them? A percentage? I'm still confused.

all of them
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i need to read this later! :)
  • sbalster
    sbalster Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the information. This is really helpful!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Part two bumpage. TGIF everyone.
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    Options
    A bump for me, a bump for all!
  • Krickette_16
    Options
    I'm coming back to read this one later. I've been curious about this same thing. Thanks for sharing.
  • illusionary
    Options
    So here's my question, for those who might have been where I am now...

I've been maintaining the same (too high) weight for years, and come to find out, I've been eating too little. My body has been in starvation mode for a long time, and now that I've been eating more and healthier food, I'm dropping weight, without even exercising.

I'm now to the point where I want to start exercising, but the thought of eating my calories burned is daunting, because I have a hard time eating enough to reach my daily goal as it is. Does it get easier over time to eat more than you are used to?

I know I'll be hungrier when I'm exercising, but it seems like that would make my current goal comfortable - without eating my exercise calories!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So here's my question, for those who might have been where I am now...

I've been maintaining the same (too high) weight for years, and come to find out, I've been eating too little. My body has been in starvation mode for a long time, and now that I've been eating more and healthier food, I'm dropping weight, without even exercising.

I'm now to the point where I want to start exercising, but the thought of eating my calories burned is daunting, because I have a hard time eating enough to reach my daily goal as it is. Does it get easier over time to eat more than you are used to?

I know I'll be hungrier when I'm exercising, but it seems like that would make my current goal comfortable - without eating my exercise calories!

short answer is yes, it get's easier. Longer answer is: it takes the body a little while to adjust to any new routine, whether that be a change in eating habits or exercise, so don't expect changes to be overnight, there may be a delay before you see improvement. Also remember, when adding a new exercise routine, there's a strong possibility that you could actually gain a little weight before you lose. This is normal, it's mostly from the activation of previously dormant muscle fibers, which force your body to store more glycogen, which is heavy stuff, it can add 2 or 3 or even 4 lbs onto your frame and counteract what would normally be a loss.

hope this helps.

-Banks
  • LifeAfter50
    Options
    Bump again .. and again..

This is great ... Thank You!:drinker:
  • illusionary
    Options
    It does help...thanks so much!
    It's been a week since I posted that, and I have noticed it's getting a bit easier to reach my goal now.

Thanks for the tip on the possibility of gaining a bit when starting out exercising...I would have been devastated to gain after starting to exercise!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    bump-1.gif
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump Da De Bump :flowerforyou:
  • citizen72
    citizen72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump ta!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Bump!

This is a great topic, the original post here.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

is well worth reading!