For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo

Options

Replies

• Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have been on a weight loss plateau now for 2 mounts and been getting really confused I am eating good and working out I do eat back some of my exerciser calories so hear is my question. MFP has me to eat 1410 calories a day and when I set up my goals I said I workout 6 days a week for 45 min (been only make 5 days lately) So dose MFP just figure I am working out and add it to my calories for the day or do I still need to add them and eat them? Also I burn any where from 350 to 450 calories so is it okay if I just eat hafe of them back? I have 30 more pounds that I would like to lose and I want the scale to move agine for me.
  • johnmcc22
    Options
    just read the original thread...

BUMP!!
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I did 3 times and still trying to figure it all out.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have been on a weight loss plateau now for 2 mounts and been getting really confused I am eating good and working out I do eat back some of my exerciser calories so hear is my question. MFP has me to eat 1410 calories a day and when I set up my goals I said I workout 6 days a week for 45 min (been only make 5 days lately) So dose MFP just figure I am working out and add it to my calories for the day or do I still need to add them and eat them? Also I burn any where from 350 to 450 calories so is it okay if I just eat hafe of them back? I have 30 more pounds that I would like to lose and I want the scale to move agine for me.

MFP only adds exercise calories if you actually enter an exercise. You should probably be re-examining your goals if you've gone 2 months with no weight loss. I don't know what you set your goal to for lbs per week, but if it's too high for your body fat level, you can easily plateau. Other things to think about are nutritional value of the calories you are eating, are you directly measuring your food or just "estimating"? Incorrect serving sizes are one main reason people fail. Are you drinking enough water? Are you meeting your calorie goals daily (coming within 50 calories of what MFP tells you? If you aren't then, I'm sure you can see why that would be a detriment to your plan.

All things to think about.

-Banks
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    what if your only burning 250 with exercise and losing 250 with dieting? thats 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week so if you ate half the calories you burned you would not lose that pound.? Im soooo confused the only thing i got out of that article is that you need to not starve yourself in order to lose weight.

but how in the world do you know how many calories your exercise calories are and when you do your report on mfp what does it mean you earned such and such calories?
  • 55tolose
    Options
    When I burn 300 calories+my basic rate of 1700 my overall burn for the day is about 2000 calories....so I eat 1500 giving me a 500 deficit.
    When I burn more like 700 calories+my 1700 I eat around 1700-1800

found this on a comment on another site this i can understand

also i saw something that said something like you burn 250 calories exercising when you would have burned like 80 calories sitting on the couch watching tv so your extra calories you actually burned by exercising is 170 right? this is too confusing i guess ill go with the flow if im hungry and im not losing i eat a little more : )
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    When I burn 300 calories+my basic rate of 1700 my overall burn for the day is about 2000 calories....so I eat 1500 giving me a 500 deficit.

also i saw something that said something like you burn 250 calories exercising when you would have burned like 80 calories sitting on the couch watching tv so your extra calories you actually burned by exercising is 170 right? this is too confusing i guess ill go with the flow if im hungry and im not losing i eat a little more : )

Starve yourself?

Where did I write anything like that? I most certainly did not. In fact this is about doing the exact opposite, making sure you eat enough calories so that you don't force your body to enter a state of semi-hibernation and fat conservation (which is what starvation mode essentially is)

Try not to overwhelm yourself. These are two separate issues.

to answer your first question, if you would like a 500 calorie deficit, you set a 1 lb goal in the goals wizard and eat everything MFP says to eat, assuming you put your numbers in correctly there's no need to over think it. If you accurately enter your numbers for both goals and exercise, don't think about eating or not eating exercise calories, it's done by MFP for you. In other words, exercising won't change how much you lose UNLESS you don't eat the calories.

As to your second question, it's true that unless you have an HRM that does it for you, you need to remove resting calories from workout calories. My polar doesn't do this, and for a male my age, size, and activity level, I burn about 120 calories per hour resting, so I subtract that (or the fraction of that if it's less than an hour) when I work out. Most people burn between 90 and 135 calories per hour when at rest. It's relatively save to put in about 110 as a best guess and go from there, after all, being off by 10 or 20 calories a day really won't be a big deal for overall weight loss. There's more margin for error in the food labels anyway.
  • 55tolose
    Options

Starve yourself?

Where did I write anything like that? I most certainly did not. In fact this is about doing the exact opposite, making sure you eat enough calories so that you don't force your body to enter a state of semi-hibernation and fat conservation (which is what starvation mode essentially is)

Try not to overwhelm yourself. These are two separate issues.

to answer your first question, if you would like a 500 calorie deficit, you set a 1 lb goal in the goals wizard and eat everything MFP says to eat, assuming you put your numbers in correctly there's no need to over think it. If you accurately enter your numbers for both goals and exercise, don't think about eating or not eating exercise calories, it's done by MFP for you. In other words, exercising won't change how much you lose UNLESS you don't eat the calories.

As to your second question, it's true that unless you have an HRM that does it for you, you need to remove resting calories from workout calories. My polar doesn't do this, and for a male my age, size, and activity level, I burn about 120 calories per hour resting, so I subtract that (or the fraction of that if it's less than an hour) when I work out. Most people burn between 90 and 135 calories per hour when at rest. It's relatively save to put in about 110 as a best guess and go from there, after all, being off by 10 or 20 calories a day really won't be a big deal for overall weight loss. There's more margin for error in the food labels anyway.

where did i say that you said anything? I never those first three lines are off of a whole different website...
  • 55tolose
    Options
    what if your only burning 250 with exercise and losing 250 with dieting? thats 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week so if you ate half the calories you burned you would not lose that pound.? Im soooo confused the only thing i got out of that article is that you need to not starve yourself in order to lose weight.

but how in the world do you know how many calories your exercise calories are and when you do your report on mfp what does it mean you earned such and such calories?

Im soooo confused the only thing i got out of that article is that you need to NOT starve yourself in order to lose weight.

I repeat I said NOT starve yourself!!!!!!!!! learn how to read

what i meant was if your eating 2000 calories a day to maintain then by dieting you drop that by 250 calories a day and then exercise to burn 250 calories a day that equals 1500 which is losing a pound a day but if you ate back half of the 250 then you would not be getting that 500 calorie deficiat between the 2000 to maintain and the 1500 to lose.... thats all i meant which is why eating back the calories you burn exercising doesn't make sense to me
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Im soooo confused the only thing i got out of that article is that you need to NOT starve yourself in order to lose weight.

I repeat I said NOT starve yourself!!!!!!!!! learn how to read

what i meant was if your eating 2000 calories a day to maintain then by dieting you drop that by 250 calories a day and then exercise to burn 250 calories a day that equals 1500 which is losing a pound a day but if you ate back half of the 250 then you would not be getting that 500 calorie deficiat between the 2000 to maintain and the 1500 to lose.... thats all i meant which is why eating back the calories you burn exercising doesn't make sense to me

Yeah, ok, you can figure it out without my help. I will not be insulted. Saying something like "learn how to read" isn't the best way to try to ask someone to help you.

good luck

-Banks
  • momtofour
    momtofour Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    this is an excellent read, thanks im having a hard time eating all my calories a day so far without adding on extras earned, but i have only been on this site for 2 weeks but im sticking to it and have actually noticed my tummy starting to grumble more now (i never really ate much before) so i guess its starting to work
    thanks again
    D x
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    BUMP!!! :happy:
  • nemrenu
    nemrenu Posts: 211
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • lokko
    lokko Posts: 6
    Options
    If someone actually took the time and effort to figure something with me that would be great, I'm confused as too how much calorie i should actually be taking.

weight: 165
    Height: 5'9
    work: none
    activity: Little due Christmas break and in January will be back in school
    work out program: P90x (6 days a week, for 1 hour)
    Goal: Burn as much fat and have a lean muscular body
    Supplements: Jack3d for pre work out.
    Whey protein after work out
    Casein protein before bed

If you guys are familiar with the p90x program I would be burning 500 to 800 calories per hour session

Do i include my supplements as calories for myfitness pal? or are they seperate and don't need to be included.

So my overall question is, how much calories and so on should I be taking?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    If someone actually took the time and effort to figure something with me that would be great, I'm confused as too how much calorie i should actually be taking.

If you guys are familiar with the p90x program I would be burning 500 to 800 calories per hour session

Do i include my supplements as calories for myfitness pal? or are they seperate and don't need to be included.

from your profile, it looks like you are trying not to lose any weight, just fat. That means a VERY small deficit (on the order of 250 calories or so). Eat healthy, exercise intensely 4 to 6 times a week, mix resistance (weight training or anaerobic cardiovascular training or plyometrics...etc.) with steady state cardio, and in your case EAT those exercise calories.

And most of all, expect it to take a while, don't look for instant results, months are needed, many months, to see real, positive changes.
  • lokko
    lokko Posts: 6
    Options

from your profile, it looks like you are trying not to lose any weight, just fat. That means a VERY small deficit (on the order of 250 calories or so). Eat healthy, exercise intensely 4 to 6 times a week, mix resistance (weight training or anaerobic cardiovascular training or plyometrics...etc.) with steady state cardio, and in your case EAT those exercise calories.

And most of all, expect it to take a while, don't look for instant results, months are needed, many months, to see real, positive changes.

Yeah but according to the amount of exercise i do, burning upto 500-800 calories daily for 6 days, how much calories should I be intaking daily and should i be counting the supplements as calories and proteins for myfitnesspal
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Yeah but according to the amount of exercise i do, burning upto 500-800 calories daily for 6 days, how much calories should I be intaking daily and should i be counting the supplements as calories and proteins for myfitnesspal

any exercise you enter you should be eating, all of them, especially for someone in your situation this is important. And if the supplement has caloric value, enter it as food.
  • wmchick81
    Options
    Okay my turn to ask for help :-) I've read this post so many times I think I just keep confusing myself.

weight: 115 (give or take a pound in either direction)- I don't weigh a lot, but I wouldn't consider myself "in shape" My stomach is not the least bit flat or muscular after having my daughter
    Height: 5'2
    work: teacher- on my feet all day
    activity: overall semi active- chasing my 5 year old around, on my feet 50% of the day, spend lots of time walking/shopping
    work out program: cardio- treadmill and/or elliptical 2-3 days per week; yoga- 2x week
    Goal: Burn as much fat and have a leaner stomach in particular
    Supplements: none
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    wmchick,

What is your goal deficit set to currently?

there are 2 links I think you should read, I list them below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/142621-why-i-think-weight-isn-t-a-proper-goal

Essentially, it's difficult for me to give you any real solid suggestions because I don't know your body fat percent.
    Considering you are well into the healthy weight range according to BMI (not the measure I would normally like to use but since I don't have BF% that's all I can really go on) all I can do is give general advice.

For a person that is at a healthy weight, there should be little deficit, if any at all. Since you shouldn't really be trying to lose weight. As I state in my second link (listed above), once you get down to a healthy weight, your actual weight is arbitrary and I don't think weight is a correct choice of goals any more.
    I suspect, for you, it should be all about body fat %, and people trying to lose body fat without losing weight need to do higher intensity exercises to increase muscle mass while eating at their maintenance calories. Depending on how many calories you burn in a day, you can eat some, or even all of your exercise calories (I would never create a deficit of more than 300 calories, but that's a personal opinion, some tweaking may be needed).

What I can tell you for sure is that to lower the body fat, once your body fat levels are already well into the healthy range (around 24% or so for a woman) it takes a stricter nutrition program and a more rigorous cardio program. since I don't have access to your food diary, I can't tell how healthy your nutrition is, but seeing what your workouts are like, I can tell you that you probably need to do more if you want to shape up the belly. Yoga's fine, but you need resistance work, and 1 or 2 times a week you need to do something anaerobic like HIIT training to go along with the steady state cardio.

Basically I'm saying after reading the above posts, I would have a body fat % test done, then we can be more specific. Also, nix the weight goal, weight is arbitrary, you may very well lose the 6 or 7 lbs you are trying to, and it could have absolutely no effect on your stomach, because weight is arbitrary and not a good measure for a healthy person to judge their fitness levels.

-Banks
  • dan959
    dan959 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bumping