Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cals are NOT created equal. CICO isn't the whole story.

Options

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The best diet for rapid weight loss is the raw chicken diet. No matter how much you eat you are guaranteed to lose a lot of weight.

start a group!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    OP: If a person said they weren't losing weight what would you have them do first? Would you have them ensure calorie accuracy or would you have them adjust their macros?

Some folks have fixed their calorie intake (without counting and measuring everything) by fixing their macros. They are more sated and the calories take care of themselves. I would say to watch the macros 1st (cut back on refined sugar and starch stuff) and see where that gets you. Most would lose weight. If that didn't work, then calorie counting could be employed to get there. Counting calories and measuring is only a tool to get the calories down. There are other methods also that might work just as good and not take nearly as much time or effort. I'm one of those people and I can control my calories very well by skipping breakfast, eating a low carb lunch, and then eating ad libitum in the evenings without measuring or counting any calories. I'm two lbs from my lowest weight in the last 28 months after losing 55-lbs without counting or measuring.

Agreed here on much of this but not all. Many have success employing methods other than calorie counting but a lot of people have had great success by lowering fat rather than sugar. There are many ways to get to the goal including calorie counting, macro counting, portion control, low car, low fat, and so on.

I congratulate you on your success and may you continue in the future.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OP: If a person said they weren't losing weight what would you have them do first? Would you have them ensure calorie accuracy or would you have them adjust their macros?

Some folks have fixed their calorie intake (without counting and measuring everything) by fixing their macros. They are more sated and the calories take care of themselves. I would say to watch the macros 1st (cut back on refined sugar and starch stuff) and see where that gets you. Most would lose weight. If that didn't work, then calorie counting could be employed to get there. Counting calories and measuring is only a tool to get the calories down. There are other methods also that might work just as good and not take nearly as much time or effort. I'm one of those people and I can control my calories very well by skipping breakfast, eating a low carb lunch, and then eating ad libitum in the evenings without measuring or counting any calories. I'm two lbs from my lowest weight in the last 28 months after losing 55-lbs without counting or measuring.

Agreed here on much of this but not all. Many have success employing methods other than calorie counting but a lot of people have had great success by lowering fat rather than sugar. There are many ways to get to the goal including calorie counting, macro counting, portion control, low car, low fat, and so on.

Yep, more than one way to skin the cat! Thanks and best wishes to you also!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Why is everyone picking on cats. :open_mouth:
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options

Why is everyone picking on cats. :open_mouth:

There're tasty? :p
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    mk2fit wrote: »
    When I was losing and eating 1200 calories/day, yes, I watched what I ate very closely. I wanted the most nutrition per calorie while keeping the calorie count low. Once I settled into maintenance, I was able to cut loose more. I am a fan of neither kale nor donuts so let us not go there. Like @AnvilHead I exercise a lot, therefore I have more calories to play with each day. On my big running days, I eat as much as 3000 calories. Sometimes I need fatty food like potato chips or a cheeseburger or (horrors) pizza to get there. I would have to eat low fat, low calorie food all day just to get the calories I need. Don't get me wrong, I eat plenty of nutritious, calorie dense food. I am still a believer in CICO. Yes, some calories are better for me than others.

FYI. I am a 59 year old female. I lost 70+ pounds over maybe a year and have been maintaining my weight for over two years. Except for the dam# snow, I run every day. Elliptical is my substitute. I also walk and do strength training.

@AnnPT77 and @ryenday I hope this post can help get this thread back on track. (Then again, who am I kidding?)

Yeah, my problem with this thread is largely the truth and Untruth I see at the same time In the title.

(Calories are not created equal) A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It is a measurement. A tablespoon is a tablespoon is a tablespoon... of course different things are different - a tablespoon of peanut butter is a very different thing than a tablespoon of water. Likewise a calorie of fat is different from a calorie of protein.

(CICO is not the whole story) This I believe. CICO is the common starting point, the bottom line, etc. But a WHOLE lot of things effect the CI and CO calculations. Every weight story starts and ends with CICO, but each individual has a different story from the next person.

That’s how I see it anyway.

I get the impression you think you are arguing some kind of minority view, but I expect most would agree. I certainly see nothing controversial in that.

Yes, a calorie is a calorie.

Yes, when it comes to one's own weight loss or maintenance, CICO is just a building block, a basic thing it is helpful to understand, and something that is true. HOW we make that work for us is going to differ for different people. For me, it usually starts with being active. I know I could just cut calories and calories are what matter, but I find it much easier to eat the right number of calories when I am active, and I also tend to want to eat better (find it easier to make good food choices) when I have workout/training goals and am excited about them or just generally being energetic, moving more, being healthy in other ways. There are many other things that go into it too, this is just one of them.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »
    mk2fit wrote: »
    When I was losing and eating 1200 calories/day, yes, I watched what I ate very closely. I wanted the most nutrition per calorie while keeping the calorie count low. Once I settled into maintenance, I was able to cut loose more. I am a fan of neither kale nor donuts so let us not go there. Like @AnvilHead I exercise a lot, therefore I have more calories to play with each day. On my big running days, I eat as much as 3000 calories. Sometimes I need fatty food like potato chips or a cheeseburger or (horrors) pizza to get there. I would have to eat low fat, low calorie food all day just to get the calories I need. Don't get me wrong, I eat plenty of nutritious, calorie dense food. I am still a believer in CICO. Yes, some calories are better for me than others.

FYI. I am a 59 year old female. I lost 70+ pounds over maybe a year and have been maintaining my weight for over two years. Except for the dam# snow, I run every day. Elliptical is my substitute. I also walk and do strength training.

@AnnPT77 and @ryenday I hope this post can help get this thread back on track. (Then again, who am I kidding?)

Yeah, my problem with this thread is largely the truth and Untruth I see at the same time In the title.

(Calories are not created equal) A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It is a measurement. A tablespoon is a tablespoon is a tablespoon... of course different things are different - a tablespoon of peanut butter is a very different thing than a tablespoon of water. Likewise a calorie of fat is different from a calorie of protein.

(CICO is not the whole story) This I believe. CICO is the common starting point, the bottom line, etc. But a WHOLE lot of things effect the CI and CO calculations. Every weight story starts and ends with CICO, but each individual has a different story from the next person.

That’s how I see it anyway.

I get the impression you think you are arguing some kind of minority view...

Lol, no. Not arguing anything minority or majority. Lol.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A CALORIE is a CALORIE. A unit of measure doesn't change just because what it's made of differs from something else.
    A foot is a foot. A liter is a liter. A pound is a pound. You'll NEVER find any scientific journal stating that those actual measurements differ.

Now you can have a foot of grass and a foot of dirt, a liter of milk and a liter of water, or a pound of gold or a pound of feathers. Different materials, but MEASUREMENT is still the same for all.

So tell me, how is 10 calories of protein more in calorie measurement than 10 calories of fat? Or 10 calories of carbs? Again, focusing on the actual 10 calories. How is 10 different than 10?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The efficiency of usage of those calories differs based on the source of the calories. Different macros also have different effects on hunger (not everyone the same I think) and depending on how they effect you can effect how much you eat.
    That STILL doesn't change the MEASUREMENT value. When someone states a "calorie is not a calorie" they are misrepresenting what they are actually trying to convey.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not to mention, then you have them talking about "good" and "bad" calories. I've seen this nonsense employed by a local restaurant chain here because they refused to follow the provincial law that requires them to post calorie counts on their menus. When they were about to get fined over it they came out and admitted that many of their "healthy" salads (pet peeve, it's "healthful", your salad isn't exercising for you) had around the same calories as a Big Mac and medium fries. So they started talking about some calories being "good" while others are "bad". Yeah, we get it, quinoa, chia and cranberries are magic so you can eat all you want. :unamused:

I Googled because I was curious... http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/freshii-calories-ontario-law-1.4100200
    Freshii's website states, "Not all calories are created equal. Some calories are healing, some are harming."
    . :unamused:

Yep, that's the one lol. BS has no limits.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    A CALORIE is a CALORIE. A unit of measure doesn't change just because what it's made of differs from something else.
    A foot is a foot. A liter is a liter. A pound is a pound. You'll NEVER find any scientific journal stating that those actual measurements differ.

Now you can have a foot of grass and a foot of dirt, a liter of milk and a liter of water, or a pound of gold or a pound of feathers. Different materials, but MEASUREMENT is still the same for all.

So tell me, how is 10 calories of protein more in calorie measurement than 10 calories of fat? Or 10 calories of carbs? Again, focusing on the actual 10 calories. How is 10 different than 10?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The efficiency of usage of those calories differs based on the source of the calories. Different macros also have different effects on hunger (not everyone the same I think) and depending on how they effect you can effect how much you eat.
    That STILL doesn't change the MEASUREMENT value. When someone states a "calorie is not a calorie" they are misrepresenting what they are actually trying to convey.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not to mention, then you have them talking about "good" and "bad" calories. I've seen this nonsense employed by a local restaurant chain here because they refused to follow the provincial law that requires them to post calorie counts on their menus. When they were about to get fined over it they came out and admitted that many of their "healthy" salads (pet peeve, it's "healthful", your salad isn't exercising for you) had around the same calories as a Big Mac and medium fries. So they started talking about some calories being "good" while others are "bad". Yeah, we get it, quinoa, chia and cranberries are magic so you can eat all you want. :unamused:

I Googled because I was curious... http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/freshii-calories-ontario-law-1.4100200
    Freshii's website states, "Not all calories are created equal. Some calories are healing, some are harming."

They're totally right. The calories a fire uses can be very harming if you get too close :wink:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They're totally right. The calories a fire uses can be very harming if you get too close :wink:

Not if it's a quinoa and avocado fire! Did you even read? :lol:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The calories of a 2 ton truck coming at you at 100 km/h are also a bit harmful.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    The calories of a 2 ton truck coming at you at 100 km/h are also a bit harmful.

It does tend to make quite an impact on people.