Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cals are NOT created equal. CICO isn't the whole story.

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    This topic is just annoying now. It's simple, calories in calories out will cause weight loss with a deficit. But common sense says certain foods are healthier for you than others. It's that simple. What's better for you, a banana or a cupcake? Easy enough. You can eat 1200 calories in cupcakes or 1200 in bananas. You'll lose weight, but common sense says your overall health is better with bananas.

Don't forget to consider context and dosage within your diet (far too many people ignore these concepts).

It sounds simple enough to say "kale is better than a donut", and in some contexts that would be correct. But a diet consisting of entirely kale or entirely donuts would be equally bad (in fact, I'd argue that the diet consisting of entirely donuts would be better because you'd be lacking essential fats eating nothing but kale).

Don't judge foods by themselves as "good" or "bad". Consider their place within the overall diet and aim for well-rounded nutrition consisting mostly of nutrient-dense foods, but with room for treats/less nutritious foods you enjoy. As Eric Helms said, "Once our nutrient needs are met, we don't get extra credit for consuming more nutritious food".

Only some contexts, huh? I'd say in 99.999% of real world diets especially among people using this site, not just every now and then at random.

Okay, let me apply some context to it then: I had spinach with my eggs for breakfast, a piece of fruit with lunch and a huge serving of brussels sprouts with dinner (listed as 3.5 servings on the bag, and I ate the whole bag along with 8 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breast). My macros look good - I've hit my protein for the day, I'm actually a bit low on fat and I have about 500 calories left below my goal from a combination of my diet and exercise for the day. I want a freaking donut with my cup of coffee tonight and kale isn't going to be anywhere even near a reasonable substitute for me in terms of satiety and enjoyment. There are no nutrients in either kale or the donut that I 'need' at the moment - but I have discretionary calories available to me and a donut sounds good and kale doesn't. Since I both lifted weights and ran today, the carbs in the donut will help replenish my glycogen stores, and since I'm a bit low on my fat macro, the fats in the donut aren't going to hurt anything.

I'm a believer in Eric Helms' saying that "once our nutrient needs are met, we don't get extra credit for consuming more nutritious food". Therefore, I'm eating that freaking donut. And enjoying every bite of it. And I ain't even sorry.

Ok. We have an obesity epidemic because people don't eat enough donuts. The things I learn on MFP!

I think this is a vast over-simplification and mis-reading of what he was trying to say, but I will add my POV: I think one of the reasons we do have a problem with obesity is that too many people in this country think there are only two ways to eat: Eat perfectly and be slender or just throw in the towel and eat whatever.

For me, weight control became easy when I realized I never had to have a "perfect day" in order to manage my weight, I just had to match the calories I was consuming to the calories I was eating. For years, I'd gone off-and-on the merry-go-round of too much restriction followed by eating "whatever" and that obviously wasn't working for me.

Yeah, I too had a real problem with thinking that I was either eating "perfectly" or it didn't matter. I like veg and for the last 20 years have liked to cook, so didn't matter usually mean eating too much, and lots of extra stuff, not not eating veg, but same result when it comes to fat gain.

Did the same with working out -- was either super into it, training for triathlons, no more than one off day a week, or my leisure time was totally sedentary (I was just lucky that I STILL had to walk a decent amount in daily life and lived in a 4th floor walk up).

Realizing it didn't have to be that way was WAY helpful to me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    Part of the issue here, IMO, is not views on nutrition, but more basic goals for being in a thread.

Some people are here to talk things out, try to understand others' perspectives, maybe reach a consensus, or at least clarify the differences. Some other people find this unnecessary, unhelpful, wordy, pedantic or tiresome.

Some people are here to argue and challenge, toss off pithy zingers, make points (i.e. likes, woos, etc), and amuse themselves or others. Some other people find this juvenile, unhelpful, puerile, void of logic and reasoning, or a waste of time.

Or something like that.

There is never going to be productive dialog between these different perspectives on a thread. Never, ever.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I would say that one of the most egregious and longstanding examples of bad faith argument I see, over and over, is the portrayal of people who say that nutrition is more complicated than one single food choice (kale over a donut) or that calories are what matter for weight loss as people who don't care about nutrition. It's unfair, shows a lack of attention to what is actually said (and therefore rude and disrespectful), and simply untrue.

It's a common problem regardless of the topic. No middle ground and arguing at extremes. Doesn't matter whether it is food choices or politics, life isn't black and white and it gets extremely frustrating to deal with folks who pretend it is.

Amen.....
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    When I was losing and eating 1200 calories/day, yes, I watched what I ate very closely. I wanted the most nutrition per calorie while keeping the calorie count low. Once I settled into maintenance, I was able to cut loose more. I am a fan of neither kale nor donuts so let us not go there. Like @AnvilHead I exercise a lot, therefore I have more calories to play with each day. On my big running days, I eat as much as 3000 calories. Sometimes I need fatty food like potato chips or a cheeseburger or (horrors) pizza to get there. I would have to eat low fat, low calorie food all day just to get the calories I need. Don't get me wrong, I eat plenty of nutritious, calorie dense food. I am still a believer in CICO. Yes, some calories are better for me than others.

FYI. I am a 59 year old female. I lost 70+ pounds over maybe a year and have been maintaining my weight for over two years. Except for the dam# snow, I run every day. Elliptical is my substitute. I also walk and do strength training.

@AnnPT77 and @ryenday I hope this post can help get this thread back on track. (Then again, who am I kidding?)