Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    What I’ve learned from reading about everyone’s knowledge of loosing weight and nutrition is then why if you have all this knowledge then why are most people struggling to either loose or maintain their weight!! It has to be more then simply CICO! People believe this then think its possible to gain 5 lbs overnight because of a cheat meal from the night before or lost 5 lbs in a week!! If you really want to know if your diet is working then measure your body fat! Who wants to loose weight if it means loosing muscle also!!

If saving money is simply earning more than you're spending, why isn't everyone rich?
    Because simple and easy aren't interchangable words.

I'd argue that saving money isn't earning more than your spending- it's spending less than your making.

Which is much like what you said- while they sound the same- they aren't interchangeable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Earn more/spend less.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Earn more/spend less.

LOL- yes. I'd argue most people are living WAY above their means though- so learning how to spend less is probably more important than earning more.
  • macrologger
    macrologger Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem sustainable, but that's just my opinion.
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Before I went Keto I had issues with my mood and suffered from hypoglycemia (I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes at the age of eight). I often had trouble focusing in school and had at least one glycemic event per week. My running was good, but it could of been better. I’ve decided to go Keto after seeing my mother benefit both mentally and physically from the diet, and ever since I’ve been living a even better life. My mood has gotten significantly better, my hypoglycemia is non-existent, and I’ve had many improvements to my endurance sports. Despite the somewhat-popular belief that fat makes you fat, my weight has remained unchanged.

Since starting Keto at 16 I was 5'9 and 150 lbs. Now (age nineteen) I am... 5'9 and 150 lbs with 8% body fat. My LDL level (amount of "bad" cholesterol in my body) for this year is 137mg/dL, which is normal despite consuming 30-60g of saturated fats a day (the fat we actually need to avoid is Trans fats).

So in my case in the realm of diabetes, mood, cholesterol, athletics, and education I see lots of benefits to the lifestyle. The only downside is that you have to maintain an active lifestyle in order to see the benefits take fruit. During my last semester of high school I had EMT school - which made me busy enough to significantly decrease my physical activities throughout the five months. In consequence I went from 9% body fat to 13%, but after graduating and going back to working out regularly I went from 13% to 8%. Can it work? Through my experience, yes it can. Is it for everyone? I believe that it has potential for everyone, but ultimately it depends on how they're executing the diet.

• pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I have been low carb for 2 years and have made good gains and lost plenty of fat. I am not strict keto due to eating more protein but still consume plenty of fat and limit carb intake.

But you can't say for sure you wouldn't have made more gains on keto. Nobody said that you can't make gains on keto, but most studies show that keto is the least optimal for preserving muscle loss on a fat loss.

I am not arguing I would or would not have made the same or more gains or this is the best way to eat. Everyone should find what works them that enables a consistent behavior. This works for me.
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I dropped 20 pounds on the diet
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I have been low carb for 2 years and have made good gains and lost plenty of fat. I am not strict keto due to eating more protein but still consume plenty of fat and limit carb intake.
    But you can't say for sure you wouldn't have made more gains on keto. Nobody said that you can't make gains on keto, but most studies show that keto is the least optimal for preserving muscle loss on a fat loss.

Cite those studies. I would love to read them since I'm someone who has been doing keto for 3+ years and have preserved + gained muscle and lost fat under the diet.

And how are you measuring that? Have you had multiple dexa scans or hydrostatics? Or is it, you see your muscles more and are stronger?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If CICO wasn't that simple, all people would have to do to lose weight is eat only fatty foods without limits....but how is it that they would still gain weight by doing that? Oh right, CICO which is why people post on mfp their frustrations over their weight gain on keto. They fail to realize that they still need to do CICO. And if you're someone who works out, keto is the worst diet you can do to preserve muscles. Studies after studies show it. There's a reason why athletes like Michael Phelps eat a ton of carbs and are not asked by their trainers to go on a ketogenic diet.

Not personally for or against keto, but not realistic to bring someone who was/is in the top .00001% or so of the world's population as a athlete in as example for anything. I'm pretty sure the average 40 year old that lifts 3-4 times a week and runs a bit could fuel fine on a keto diet.