Ketogenic diet

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    "Scorpions eat a variety of insects, spiders, other scorpions and lizards. They also eat small mammals, such as mice. Scorpions must have water to drink, but they can survive for months without food. It is okay for some of that food to be Samoas, but never Thin Mints."

So a mixed bag. Seems like you may be a candidate for some sort of extreme fasting protocol!

;-)
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Thank goodness ... I am a meat eater and I do not like my cookies tasting like toothpaste anyway :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm pisces... but I'm also ovo-lacto vegetarian.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I'm Aquarius, so does this mean I'm not allowed anything but water?
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member

I'm Aquarius, so does this mean I'm not allowed anything but water?

Only water and Jason Momoa for you!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Andrea4456 wrote: »
    - Reduces inflammation in just a few days (ie: lower bp)
    - Gets one off the sugar rollercoaster that drives many ppl to overeat in the first place
    - Eliminates foods that have zero nutritional value from your diet, naturally
    - Allows you to eat rich versions of your favorite foods again (milk, whole fat cheese, bacon)
    - Improves dental health drastically (no sugar or carbs to give you plague)
    - Better mental health (once you're no longer a sugar burner)

These are just a few of the many benefits of low carb lifestyle...

Most of which are based off little science and can be achieve within a variety of diets.

^^^This...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited March 2018
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    "Scorpions eat a variety of insects, spiders, other scorpions and lizards. They also eat small mammals, such as mice. Scorpions must have water to drink, but they can survive for months without food. It is okay for some of that food to be Samoas, but never Thin Mints."

So a mixed bag. Seems like you may be a candidate for some sort of extreme fasting protocol!

;-)

Or Chapulines. Grasshoppers eaten in Mexico! I wasn't in the area where they had those when I visited Mexico a couple of months ago but I did try the fried crickets and they were crunchy and fairly tasty. Most of the flavor came from the chile seasonings though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    - Gets one off the sugar rollercoaster that drives many ppl to overeat in the first place
    - Allows you to eat rich versions of your favorite foods again (milk, whole fat cheese, bacon)

Most of which are based off little science and can be achieve within a variety of diets.

Most don't just walk around with tons of chronic inflammation. Sugar doesn't make everyone overeat (fat does for me which is why I limit my fat intake) and a ketogenic diet, just like any diet, doesn't mean you eliminate foods with no nutritional value. Honestly, do you even pork rinds, bacon, or any other highly processed meats that often get incorporated ketogenic diets?

Also, it should be noted that you can incorporate all those good high fatty foods in diets even if you aren't keto.

Lastly, you are still a sugar burner while you are on ketogenic. Your body creates glucose from amino acids (~60%) and fatty acids (~40%) through a process called glucenogenesis. Because while your brain can run on ketones, your rest of the body prefers glucose. So yes, you have greater amounts of fat oxidation (because you eat more fat), you still have periods of carb oxidation. It's just the rates aren't as high as someone who is eating higher amounts of carbs. Ultimately, that only matters in terms of athletic performance. And when that is part of the equation, those who are sugar burners outperform those who are not. It's why low carb is not big in the athletic world.

Cosigned! Great post!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So the weird thing about the Zodiac diet is that as a Sagittarius I'm pretty sure I'd have to eat a lot of oats and maybe some apples -- carbs, right? Should we sort the signs by their fitness to keto? Leo seems like a good candidate, for sure, but some of them have always confused me from a dietary perspective (Libra?).

My sister is a Taurus, are grain fed Taurans okay, or does she need to focus only on grass (she'll be seriously bummed). Presumably beef is out of the question; that's like cannibalism, so icky.

So as a Capricorn, I'm supposed to avoid chocolate, sugar, and spicy foods (so they want me to be miserable), I supposedly am susceptible to alcoholism so I should avoid alcohol (more miserable), I need lots of calcium and protein so dairy is recommended, and then arbitrarily I'm encouraged to eat leeks, beef, kale, quinoa, cauliflower, and cranberries. I guess that could work for keto?

However, my blood type is AB. As per the blood type diet, I have low stomach acid and do not digest meat well, so I should avoid it or at least eat in very small portions. I am supposed to eat fish though, so I guess you could make keto work if you wanted to load up on the fish. This diet also tells me to cut out alcohol (and caffeine), so they can kiss my heiny as well.

The symbol for Capricorn is a goat with a fish tail. This could get confusing. I think I'm just going to eat what I'm already eating. If keto works for you, more power to ya.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

- Inflammation is such a misunderstood term.
    - Sugar rollercoaster is in the eyes of the beholder. I rarely overeat sugary foods.
    - I don't feel the need to eliminate less nutritious foods completely, that would be detrimental to my mental and social health. For what it's worth, oil and butter are nutritionally poor and provide little benefit beyond the essential amounts of fat needed.
    - I eat rich versions of my favorite foods without having to go low carb, but on low carb, I can't eat more than half of my favorite foods (beans, fruits, lots of tomatoes, a whole eggplant, potatoes, pizza...etc).
    - I have a toothbrush and a dentist mother.
    - Mental health was the exact reason I could not continue with the diet. Low carbing affects my brain chemistry in extremely unpleasant ways.

These are just a few of many reasons why low carb is not for everyone, nor is better than other diets.

To the bolded, it was the same for me and I wish keto dieters were less eager to erase our experiences. I've been told by certain ketoers on this board that I should have kept going and pushed through, which is advice that could get someone hurt very quickly if they don't experience the magical side effects of the All Healing Keto.

I feel the same way about those who push exercise for depression. Sure exercise is healthy and good but it hasn't stopped my need for antidepressants. I have suicidal thoughts off meds even when I exercised 2 hours a day. I'm glad it helps some but my need for antidepressants isn't because i was not exercising enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yes! It is the only thing that worked for me. Health problems have essentially disappeared. Yes, it's hard and "restrictive" but its restrictive in that it restricts things I shouldn't be eating in the first place (i.e binging a tub of ice cream or a pound of enriched white pasta). So...I dont think that's restrictive at all, lol.

Also legumes, lentils, root vegetables, oats...and lots of other things that are very good for you.