Ketogenic diet

Replies

• bergeree1989
    bergeree1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes! It is the only thing that worked for me. Health problems have essentially disappeared. Yes, it's hard and "restrictive" but its restrictive in that it restricts things I shouldn't be eating in the first place (i.e binging a tub of ice cream or a pound of enriched white pasta). So...I dont think that's restrictive at all, lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Yes! It is the only thing that worked for me. Health problems have essentially disappeared. Yes, it's hard and "restrictive" but its restrictive in that it restricts things I shouldn't be eating in the first place (i.e binging a tub of ice cream or a pound of enriched white pasta). So...I dont think that's restrictive at all, lol.

I think keto works well for some people, but it restricts way more than "things I shouldn't be eating in the first place," or at least it did for me.

I was only able to consume the amount of vegetables I think is reasonable because I had a higher than usual carb limit. My own research was that under 50 g net should be low enough, and I aimed for about 60 g total (which was roughly 35 g net), which I filled almost entirely with vegetables (plus avocado), nuts and seeds, and a little dairy. I still felt like I was limiting vegetables beyond what I prefer (I eat more now, when not watching carbs, and I ate more before trying keto when I was eating around 100-120 g carbs). With the more common 20 g I see recommended, I would have been restricting vegetables much more.

Foods that I restricted even more than that were: fruit (I was not able to consume any fruit unless I cut back on vegetables, which I was unwilling to do), beans and lentils (same, with the exception of black soybeans and edamame), whole grains and tubers (you may not think roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes or oats or the like are healthful, but I do).

It was actually perfectly possible to make "keto treats" and kind of fun to try them, so I actually made more sweets than usual (with xylitol, not sugar). I still did it only rarely as they had sufficient carbs that they caused me to go over, but no more so than fruit would have (less, generally).

Beyond that, most dessert items (like ice cream) have lots of calories and fat, as well as carbs, so seeing them as the main restriction on a keto diet wouldn't be my thought -- they'd obviously be restricted with a lower cal diet (which doesn't mean you can't fit in any) or a low fat diet. In fact, one thing I did was make a non sweet cardamom ice cream (delicious, I ended up using it with coffee) and then an ice cream with a little bit of fake sweetener (okay, the texture was off). Both were high cal, but low carb.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    shatabdi wrote: »
    I have been on paleo for almost a year and now Im slowly transitioning to keto + IF. I feel great but socializing is a huge issue with my dietary habits. Anyone got any advice for that?

By "socializing" do you mean eating with others? I believe many restaurants will have a protein + vegetable dish in their menus. Other than that, if it's starting to hinder your social life, then why alienate yourself because of a feeding schedule and a restrictive diet?

What is a social life worth when you have extreme dieting measures to keep you company?

It's quite profound when you consider the advantages of being a social pariah.. I mean, you don't have to share your food, thoughts, jokes, conversations, joys, misery, etc. with anyone but yourself. Keto transcends the need for people.