Ketogenic diet

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    So what blood types do keto diets not work for? That's a new one for me.

The blood type guy says that chicken does not work for my blood type, btw, which from personal experimentation is not, in fact, true.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I am unfamiliar with the research on blood type diets, so I can't comment either way as to whether they are legitimate or bunk (I reserve an open mind until I see something more credible even when something sounds hooey, as that is only fair).

However, I don't know my blood type. I do know my experience with different foods, which tells a lot more about my n=1 than any research about any topics (including the studies in which I was a participant, though none of those have been specifically related to food anyway).
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I always equated blood type diets with trying to eat according to your zodiac sign. Sounds dumb? You bet.

Excuse me while I burn some sage to align my chakras so I can drink my detox tea in correlation with lunar patterns. I had a bit too many carbs this past weekend and need to get back into ketosis asap otherwise my fat burning power will be lost forever.

/sarcasm
    For a sec, I thought you were serious, I was ready to click on woo :D
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    I always equated blood type diets with trying to eat according to your zodiac sign. Sounds dumb? You bet.

Excuse me while I burn some sage to align my chakras so I can drink my detox tea in correlation with lunar patterns. I had a bit too many carbs this past weekend and need to get back into ketosis asap otherwise my fat burning power will be lost forever.

/sarcasm
    For a sec, I thought you were serious, I was ready to click on woo :D

Lol. I don't blame you. Probably not surprising, but I basically copied this from someone on facebook who said something similar and they were dead serious because they couldn't see how ridiculous it was.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member

/sarcasm

I hope you added apple cider vinegar to your tea ;);)
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    I was born yesterday.....or was it the day before...anyway, wtf does n=1 mean? What is "n"?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I was born yesterday.....or was it the day before...anyway, wtf does n=1 mean? What is "n"?

Your sample size is one person.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

n is sample size of the research study.

n=1 means in my experience limited and possibly wrong.
  • shatabdi
    shatabdi Posts: 5 Member
    I have been on paleo for almost a year and now Im slowly transitioning to keto + IF. I feel great but socializing is a huge issue with my dietary habits. Anyone got any advice for that?
  • anubis609

/sarcasm

I hope you added apple cider vinegar to your tea ;);)

Of course. It's the cure-all. I steeped my tea in hot cider vinegar because water isn't pH balanced.

- This has to be labeled as adding to sarcasm again because it's a serious answer somewhere in the world -

In experimental data, "n" represents the number of subjects in any given study. So, n=1, is practically a self experiment and bears no objective data that can be applied to anything else outside of that since there is no control group to simultaneously measure data against or compare during the trial.

It's anecdote. And basically lends itself for people to haphazardly fling around the statement, "it worked for me" which is great for them. Too bad it doesn't mean anything to anyone else.
  • anubis609
    shatabdi wrote: »
    I have been on paleo for almost a year and now Im slowly transitioning to keto + IF. I feel great but socializing is a huge issue with my dietary habits. Anyone got any advice for that?

By "socializing" do you mean eating with others? I believe many restaurants will have a protein + vegetable dish in their menus. Other than that, if it's starting to hinder your social life, then why alienate yourself because of a feeding schedule and a restrictive diet?