Options

Replies

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    jessielil wrote: »
    . I have previously asked her decrease how often she was baking and she did for a few weeks.

Decide how often you want to have a treat or which of the stuff you would definitely not want to miss out on. She seemed to be understanding before, so just explain to her, that you think her stuff is delicious but that it is too much of a temptation for you as you are trying to limit your calorie intake. Ask her to only offer you something as often as you decided you would want it (like once a week, twice a month, whatever), and maybe preferably on your favorite stuff (so you would not miss out on that). She hopefully will be happy that there is some of her stuff so awesome even a weight conscious person does not want to pass on and that she can help. And she hopefully will remember to not tempt you too often.

its not up to the person baking to stop OP from eating it...

I understand what you're saying, and agree with you, but the person who responded above was trying to work out the social problem of turning people down or putting a limit on calorie rich food.

The social aspect is a minefield in offices. Sometimes a simple no thanks will offend people -- they will think you're cold and in the end you have to work with these people.

I claim health problems, which people accept, but not everybody can or wants to do that.

I actually hate all the sweets in offices and doctor offices. You go to the doctor or take a family member there and find candy all over the reception room and sweets in the treatment rooms. I don't know how the nurses work there.

I think the social thing requires work from both parties though. It's just as unhelpful for the baker to get offended by a "no, thanks" as it is for people to throw good food out because they can't say that.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just curious why you feel you have to say no? Is it possible to budget in an occassional treat?

That's what I do. This morning I moved my prelogged afternoon snack to tomorrow and instead I had the treat.
    I couldn't say no, the lady who brought it in today brought it baked it because it's her last day.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    . I have previously asked her decrease how often she was baking and she did for a few weeks.

Decide how often you want to have a treat or which of the stuff you would definitely not want to miss out on. She seemed to be understanding before, so just explain to her, that you think her stuff is delicious but that it is too much of a temptation for you as you are trying to limit your calorie intake. Ask her to only offer you something as often as you decided you would want it (like once a week, twice a month, whatever), and maybe preferably on your favorite stuff (so you would not miss out on that). She hopefully will be happy that there is some of her stuff so awesome even a weight conscious person does not want to pass on and that she can help. And she hopefully will remember to not tempt you too often.

its not up to the person baking to stop OP from eating it...

This^

I have a co-worker who has a candy dish in her office.....filled with chocolate kisses. It's her office she can do whatever she likes.

I'm so jealous of people who can have it right in front of them and not polish it off within a day. How inthe world it's possible? Lol
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem now but have when I was not overweight. I simply did not eat them if I didn't want them. I liked the suggestion of cutting down by having a sweet every other day, instead of every day. I discovered a chocolate biscotti that I liked this week, so I had to cut out something else to eat it. It was a better option than a coffee cake with an afternoon coffee. I did this again yesterday, but it was a day when I don't work out as much and so I was hungry in the evening. For the 170 calories of that biscotto I could have had a small salad, humus and carrots, an apple, and other things that would have been more filling. I will think twice about it in the future. It was delicious but not worth it to do on a regular basis. I can eat it when I work out heavy and have extra calories to eat that day. The same thing goes for the Hershey's kisses in the lobby in my building. 4 of them are 88 calories and I can eat a cucumber or watermelon and it is more filling.

But I think if I were in the OP's situation NOW, when I'm trying to lose weight I would have to log in a notebook every time I passed up the baked goods and pay myself at the end of the month! Say, $1.00 for every time I didn't indulge. If this person brings in treats a few times a week this would add up! I'd put the money away at the end of the month and then in my next "milestone" of weight loss (next 10 or 20 lbs.) buy a new blouse or work out pants, earrings, something to reward but not food.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest issue. I work in a Dental Practice! Yet there is a constant supply of cakes, biscuits and chocolate. Last year we did a 'bake off' where we each picked a week to bake a cake and bring it to be judged. There are 14 members of staff so we had cake every week for 14 weeks and I kid you not I gained 10lbs. Most staff members take a small slither, I take a chunk and go back for more each day. We are about to start bake off 2017!! :/ Considering not even sitting in at lunch break and going for a walk instead to avoid temptation.

I'm the biggest person at the practice and its become a standing joke about how much I eat :'( I would LOVE to show them all!

That's rough with them joking about it :(

Just out of interest, I calculated the calories in my favourite celebration cake recipe+decoration.... yikes. 23000 for the whole thing. Admittedly not every calorie will make it from bowl/pan/board to the actual cake, but yeah... there's a reason that one gets cut up small enough to do a little piece for everyone at church! About 40 servings. More than half the calories are the outer layers - it's cake, then a 1/4 inch of chocolate ganache, then fondant. Maybe skipping the frosting might help control the calories a bit? I don't mind folks taking that off but I'd be miffed if entire pieces went in the bin - especially at work, since we have enough people on our floor that it always goes.

I hate wasting food and do not appreciate it, even if it's not mine. To me, if you don't want the piece of cake or whatever it might be, don't take it just to toss it out when no one is looking. You can say something nice to the person offering it, and politely decline. Someone else might enjoy it, it's much better this way.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Say no to her offer but say no to yourself more. I've been there, and really the most you can do is say no and try not to give into the pressure. I've had that a lot at work with people bringing snacks in (last week someone gifted a load of brownies and chocolate filled crepes, a box of miniature chocolates, all of which I love) so it can be pretty hard, I understand. Just try not to give into temptation and ask her if she makes them not to offer you any but she might feel rude by not doing so. Just politely decline and say "maybe next time".
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It's thoughtful,when someone bakes something nice for office mates. I'll eat it if it seems special and it's worth it. It's rude when people bring a half a birthday cake left over from their kids weekend party and just want it out of their house. And kinda gross, so I won't eat it.

It's also nice, when all the delicious baked crap is confined to an area that isn't mandatory to access. I can survive without going in the break room, but I have to walk by the reception desk. Clearly, I have a hard time with this too.
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The baker in my office doesn't eat any of it. She's training for a figure competition! When I asked her to slow her roll (and cakes, etc.), I thought she would understand because she also has a very strict diet. Unlike me though, she is a master of self control.

Honestly, this sounds less like self-control and more like an eating disorder to me. It's not uncommon for people severely restricting their own food to become obsessed with cooking and feeding others the food they don't eat. Voice of experience here.

Either way, her issues are not your worry. Good luck finding your own most effective mechanism for dealing with the temptation.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a coworker who not only brings in treats all the time (and not the yummy homemade kind, but generic store brought crap), who tries to pressure me into eating them with the "youll hurt my feelings" crap, but ALSO critiques my lunch choices, saying im not eating enough, I should eat more carbs, etc etc.

I had a passive-aggressive "friend" who kept undermining my weight-loss efforts by offering me Kind bars even after I explained that I needed to watch calories. She was overweight, possibly obese. I'm so glad she stopped talking to me after some other petty nonsense. Some people take it as a rebuke that you are trying to lose weight, even if you say nothing about their weight, never offer advice. There's nothing you can do to satisfy that type.

We are in an obesity epidemic. I think that offices should impose rules about bringing in food if most employees agree. It's not everyone's idea of a good time and most people do not need the additional calories.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Flip over the table. :p

You cannot tell her to stop baking treats. It is your responsibility to control your own temptation. Eat some fruits, veggies or protein to help you feel not hungry.

Baking is not part of her job. She doesn't have a "right" to bring in food that others may find difficult to resist. They may be eating out of obligation or boredom, not enjoyment. There's nothing wrong with imposing restrictions on how often she brings it or where she serves it. We're not talking about settings in which people are starving and in need of food.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it's appropriate for you to ask your coworker to bake and share less just because you're on a diet. You can't expect others to change themselves because you want to change yourself. If you want to succeed, you will have to learn to cope with temptation, because the world isn't going to change for you.

I totally agree....to ask someone to stop what they enjoy doing to fit my needs is just plain wrong!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Flip over the table. :p

You cannot tell her to stop baking treats. It is your responsibility to control your own temptation. Eat some fruits, veggies or protein to help you feel not hungry.

Baking is not part of her job. She doesn't have a "right" to bring in food that others may find difficult to resist. They may be eating out of obligation or boredom, not enjoyment. There's nothing wrong with imposing restrictions on how often she brings it or where she serves it. We're not talking about settings in which people are starving and in need of food.

Nope....not your place to place restrictions because you think EVERYONE doesn't need it! Who are you to impose your will in a free world!?
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    There's really only a couple of options
    1. Fit the calories in (that's my favourite option)
    2. Say 'Thank you, but no thanks'

If someone is giving you grief about saying 'no' then I'd turn it back on them. Let the know that you feel it's in appropriate behaviour and you don't appreciate being bullied and pressured into doing something you don't want to do.

If confrontation isn't your thing then just say 'Thank you', take the cake and toss it. Failing that tell them you're allergic (wheat, sugar, food colouring, whatever) or some other medical excuse.

Really though, if someone is bullying people into doing things they don't want to do that's something that needs to go to the managers/HR.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You ultimately have to decide whether or not it's worth it to you. Yesterday there were a ton of cupcakes in our break room (I work at a grocery store...one was a bakery order that was never purchased, the other was from a girl who bought them for her final day). I decided I didn't want to spend the calories on either one. Now, next month when one of my coworkers retires and they order a cake for her? I will likely accept and have a slice.