Am I the only one who thinks greek yogurt is GROSS?!

Options

Replies

• supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have to eat it with crushed almonds or granola. I don't really like it on its own. I use it in cooking a LOT as a substitute for different things.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Strained Yogurt ( greek ) is far better then US commercial yogurt, the real question is what kind of so called strained yogurt are you comparing here?

because if its some generic american made strained yogurt, then it is not even worth discussing or comparing its nothing close to proper made strained yogurt! :)

The best you can hope to buy in a store in the US is Fage greek yogurt which is imported however you can easily make your own strained yogurt which will be even better.

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/05/28/how-to-make-greek-yogurt-at-home/

also a key ingredient in many dif cuisines and even in several drinks such as a Lassi

( salted lassi and mango lassi 2 of my fav )
    I find it best to use a mixture of sheep / goats milk strained yogurt
  • 56pickupsticks
    Options
    Removed--I didn't know replies didn't go beneath an individual comment.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I found out every year Greek Yogurt produces over 5 million pound of acidic whey that can not be safely disposed of so it just sits in giant containers. Kinda made me stop eating it

I've heard that too :(
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't like yogurt period.. But found that I can eat the plain greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and a packet of stevia... (This also minimizes the amount of sugar from the fruit already being added)
  • brichnic
    brichnic Posts: 14
    Options
    Try the Kroger lite brand - 90 calories, 8g of carbs, 16g of protein - and it doesn't taste like CRAP like regular Greek does. Yuck. That weird dry squeaky feeling on my tongue.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    Its too thick, and leaves my mouth feeling all coated and nasty. I love reg yogurt (and home made raw milk yogurt is AMAZING!), but greek yogurt is just gross.

I cant be the only one?

Zoi Honey Greek Yogurt, the bomb!
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    it makes a good dressing
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Its too thick, and leaves my mouth feeling all coated and nasty.

I hear that all the time. Just swallow it for now till you get used to the taste. Eventually you'll come to love the texture and feeling of it in your mouth. It's a great way to get in protein so it's worth working on getting used to.

I knew this wasn't going to stay below the radar ..lmao
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can only handle eating the chobani bites. It's small enough for me to get through and they taste like desserts (caramel pineapple and dark chocolate raspberry are my favorites). Otherwise, it can be added to a smoothie or in other recipes.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm continually disappointed because John Stamos never appears when I eat Oikos. :cry:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Nope. Even tried making smoothies with it and throwing in some fruit and splenda and whatnot. I just couldn't get past the taste. Plain or with fruit. Yuk Yuk Yuk.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Oikos is a good one to start with. I just recently tried the Yoplait 100 calorie greek and that was OK. Oikos raspberry is still my favorite though. My big issue is that I don't care for fruit on the bottom types, which most of them are (except Oikos)
  • softballislife7
    softballislife7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    same here! i hate it, it tastes too sour
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely horrible!!!
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    gross I only cook chicken with it otherwise NOOOOOOO
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I only eat the plain Greek yogurt. I like it.
  • leengrl149
    Options
    I put the Stonyfield Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt in a smoothie every morning with frozen berries, protein powder, spinach or kale, ground flaxseed and a few ice cubes (you may want to add honey for sweetness, but I omit), and it is delicious! Great protein, of course, and the smoothie turns out nice and thick. If you can hide the greek yogurt somewhere (like in this smoothie), you will be better for it with all that awesome protein! =) Take care...
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Its too thick, and leaves my mouth feeling all coated and nasty.

I hear that all the time. Just swallow it for now till you get used to the taste. Eventually you'll come to love the texture and feeling of it in your mouth. It's a great way to get in protein so it's worth working on getting used to.

I feel like I've had this conversation before...
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    There's a few people saying to just eat it until you get used to it but I genuinely think you either love it or hate it. I tried it once when I was spending a weekend with a friend and didn't want the toasted wheat waffles she was serving to her children for breakfast. She offered me a cup of Dannon's Oikos greek yogurt with the pre-added blackberries -- I thought it was delicious! Upon returning from vacation, I immediately bought myself a large tub of the vanilla greek yogurt (I believe this was Oikos too), but I've also had Chobani and loved it as well. My father -- who is far from a picky eater -- absolutely despises it and says it's hard for him to swallow without gagging. You could always sneak some in your pancake batter or muffins so you can get the protein without the flavor/texture. My favorite greek yogurt pancake recipe is this: http://www.lawfullyweddedwife.com/2013/06/27/greek-yogurt-pancakes/ It's wicked delicious!