Am I the only one who thinks greek yogurt is GROSS?!

Options

Replies

• mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tried Chobani once and didn't like it at all. Thanks to the tips here, I will try it in a smoothie with fruit, ice, and maybe some Splenda.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    yes
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Can't stand it...yet my husband & I have discovered a great way to use it for a snack, one container of plain greek & a packet of Ranch seasoning. Makes for a healthy "Ranch" dip for your veggies
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! YUK! The only thing I like it in is the Trader Joe's reduced guilt guacamole---can't taste it at all!
  • Holdensmommy810
    Options
    im not a fan at all i still prefer regular yogurt. However, i had regular plain Greek yogurt and used it as sour cream in a taco salad i made. I didn't know it was yogurt as my friend was helping me make it. it was great but once she told me....im ruined it reminds me too much of sour cream.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it either, even mixed in with other things that (supposedly) are supposed to cover the taste. However, I also don't like plain milk or cottage cheese; I think that I may be a dairy supertaster, my body trying to warn me away from the stuff, due to a very minor lactose intolerance. But it does frustrate me when I talk about healthy foods on my Facebook page and people suggest this or that flavor of Greek yogurt....sorry, just doesn't taste right to me.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I hate it.
  • Holdensmommy810
    Options
    so i just posted and after the message board came back up i thought it was funny the ad on the bottom of the page was for Greek yogurt
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I tried Chobani once and didn't like it at all. Thanks to the tips here, I will try it in a smoothie with fruit, ice, and maybe some Splenda.

chobani is not really proper strained yogurt :|
    its loose overly sweet
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Nope you're not alone. I can only tolerate it mixed with a pack of Ranch Dip powder for my veggies
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    really gross!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I take a 32-ounce tub of greek yogurt, dump a packet of sugar-free jello pudding mix into it, mix well, and om nom nom until it's all gone. Cheesecake is my favorite.
  • jimfoxer
    jimfoxer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First, not all Greek yogurt is alike. Many producers mix in protein powder, starch, and other thickeners to try to get the Greek yogurt consistency and save money on milk in the process. I'd suggest you try other brands - particularly Fage which is excellent. You may also want to try other milk fat percentages; while I eat only 0%, some prefer only 2%. It's a similar preference as those who would never drink skim milk and those who swear by whole milk. Some varieties I simply don't like - Chobani, for instance, although one of the leading brands, is way too chalky for me. Their ratio is of milk to yogurt is 3:1 where Fage is 4:1.

And for all of those that are concerned about the environmental impact, the acidic whey which is the byproduct that has so many people up-in-arms, is not like acid waste. It is mostly water with sugar and protein in it and 70% of this byproduct is picked up by dairy farms who add it as a protein supplement to their dairy cows' feed (apparently the cows love it, but too much disrupts their digestive systems and makes the feed into an unmanageable soup). Other uses of the acidic whey are for creating fuel, in the form of methane, and research is going on now to try to find ways to take the protein out and use it in baby formula. Before you say, "Eww, gross!", ask yourself if you ever made a protein shake with whey protein? Where do you think that came from? That is made from the byproduct of cheese production!
  • astattonhunt
    astattonhunt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nope, right there with you. I tried the Fage peach split cup. I was able to eat it, but the second cup of yogurt I bought along with that one got thrown in the trash. Yuck, I don't know what all the hype is about. Not enough flavor, I don't mind the thickness so much, but the flavor sucks!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it either, even mixed in with other things that (supposedly) are supposed to cover the taste. However, I also don't like plain milk or cottage cheese; I think that I may be a dairy supertaster, my body trying to warn me away from the stuff, due to a very minor lactose intolerance. But it does frustrate me when I talk about healthy foods on my Facebook page and people suggest this or that flavor of Greek yogurt....sorry, just doesn't taste right to me.
    THIS
  • SansyPansy
    SansyPansy Posts: 17
    Options
    i thought i was the only one, too! i bought 10 of them from my grocery store cause they were 10 for $10. Lets just say 9 1/2 went to waste :frown:
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I've tried every brand & nearly every flavor I can find & they are all gross. I can eat the plain in place of sour cream with spicy foods, but otherwise no. I was all excited about it in the beginning--tried that recipe with pudding mix & adding sweetener that everyone said was so delicious & tasted just like ice cream--yuck! I just eat turkey pepperoni if I need to boost my protein.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    All yogurt is nasty. The only way I can stomach it is in smoothies. By itself, can't do it, totally gross.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Heh, and I can't stomach "regular" yogurt. Even Dannon (or is it Yoplait?)'s version of greek yogurt leaves an awful taste in my mouth.

De gustibus non est disputandum...
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    No-

I dont care for yogurt either and i've tried to love them..... i can stomach some of them by adding fruit and lots of granola- other times i have added them to smoothies. But, one of the biggest reasons for passing them up is they just dont fill me up- there is no substance to them- it doenst stick to my ribs ( lol ). just cream ba-lah! Give my a banana and peanut butter any day over yogurt.