WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    *****katla******* awww thanks ! thanks for signing the handkerchief, i'm waiting for it to show up
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Of course I posted right after Barbie sent the new thread so bringing it over here-

So glad everyone's medical tests came back with such good news.

Clowe I also have never seen a blow out do so much damage. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Margaret lovely painting - I also love pictures of flowers they make me happy and it's the only thing I feel I draw well!

Allie is Sean the brother? What kind of meds is he off? Hope the weekend is NOT full of drama and everyone can relax and enjoy themselves.

Becca what made your son and daughter in law decide to settle in Vancouver?

Barbie and Katla girl-waving-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

Dreamwriter a full grown pit bull in your lap - wish someone had taken a picture of that . . . lol

Heather you are so adventurous with your cooking - wish I were there to sample it!

DJ how goes the saga with DH & DD? Haven't heard anything lately so hope that means things are better <3

Mary you have a very smart husband!

Saturday my DDs with their families and step-son with his and I are heading to Ocean Shores for the day. The weather is suppose to be perfect over there and my DGSs have never seen the ocean so should be a fun day for all!
    I will take pictures to share.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. The boys are back to school next week. Hooray!!!

Love to all - Gloria in WA <3B)<3

Well Gloria, they decided on Vancouver WA because she wants to study and become a nurse, and there is a good nursing school there. The apartment complex they liked the most ids near her college, and near Home Depot, and that's where he ius working now, (but at a store in Lamoore CA). His electronics school is in North Portland though, so I hope he just does public transportation there, the freeway traffic is terrible!
    Becca
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Barbie Thanks for the new thread!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies,
    Half day is gone.. and 4 1/2 to go..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mary prayer said!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Yeah – I don’t like TomCat being nice about the dogs either. Don’t know his relationship to either. However, if he really doesn’t care for them (such as ‘if’ Allie considered them her pets); would not put it past him to put them in the pound the day she is supposed to come ‘visit’ with them. I guess I think the worst of TomCat because of how he has treated Allie. If there was a trusted friend who would keep them for her (until she could actually get past that period of time of leasing the place to purchase) unless the condo is hers totally and if the condo association don’t have any rules about pets … she should get them, or at least her favorite. I know that Louis and I would not like for the other to have the dog or cat; and, I know that neither of us would get rid of them. They are both 'equally' our pets and I could not think of being without either (especially Cracker, who we/I got to be my companion). Tux the cat rates right on up there as well, he is such a 'lover'. I’d call TomCat’s decision to allow Allie to ‘visit’ with them a huge Whoopi Daisy. Will she be able to take them away from the house? I certainly would not want to feel like it was ‘supervised’ visitation.

But, anyway you look at it, Allie has come into her own and is happy that things are working to her favor. She’s moving on and realizing that it doesn’t take a ‘man in her life’ to be happy or well-rounded. She is going to feel so ‘great’ once she has everything divided out and in her own place decorated the way she wants it done. TomCat has ‘kept her under his thumb’ and made her so ‘insecure’ to make decisions and I (personally) am extremely happy that she has taken the ‘bull by his balls’ and slung him under the train.

Dana – Why is the governor in a wheelchair?

Machka in Oz – Portion control, tracking your food and liquids, and exercise are key in losing weight.

Heather – I usually drink, at least 64 oz. a day; some days more, some less … but average 64. Last night we took son out to eat … I have not eaten ‘fried’ foods in 2 years, needless to say, I could not eat it. I think I ate 3 shrimp, 4 bites of salad, and a cup of seafood gumbo. The rest we brought home as left-overs. That isn’t going to help me any. I won’t eat it. If they catch fish, then Will might cook them tomorrow. We are going with them to the wedding of Tami’s BF (she is her only bridesmaid/matron of honor. There’s not going to be a reception of any type (that I know of). Then Tami will have to take Mallory back to her Dad’s for her weekend visitation.

I don’t drink any type of ‘coca~cola’ or soda drinks, diet or not. That is also something I have not done in 2 years plus.

Allie – Packing up your stuff is making TomCat realize ‘you aren’t playing games’. Good for you!!!!!

Pip – I’m not aware of how I sound when I talk, until I listen to a call I have made home and left a message. OMGoodness, what a Southern drawl I have. Now I know why I got made fun of when I went to visit a friend who had moved to Norman, OK, back during our HS years.

And, yes, I would enjoy you speaking Spanish.

Rori – Good decision to get someone in the house so your husband will be used to someone extra in the house. Someone who he can become friends with and so you can get out and have some ‘me’ time.

I sort of expect, after a week of vacation, for my numbers to go up. Hopefully, not by much. Haven’t been able to exercise as it has rained most of the time we’ve been here. I did get in 30 minutes on 2 days; but, decided to quit when the muck got stuck to my shoes and I started losing traction. Today it is sunny, the guys have gone fishing. Tami is at work; but, going to help a friend set up for her wedding tonight, which we’ll all go to. But, Estee told me not to worry about it, I could make it up the next 2-week period. Yeah right! Last week, none of my numbers moved from the previous time.

Name brands have never been important to me; I had a friend when we lived in Macon who could buy something and look like $100 bucks. If she saw something she liked, she bought it; and, then would later buy something else that just made it pop. I’m talking about K-Mart clothes or 2nd- had clothes. But, of course, she was a former Detroit Lions cheerleader and was striking looking even without any make-up on.

Lenora
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Is it really September?!? Time flies the older I get!

Barbie - thank you so much for keeping us going! You are a real blessing.

Welcome to all of the recent newbies. This is a very good group, if I do say so myself!

Marti - celebrating cancer free with you.

Becca- ((HUGS)) about Owain.

Mary - praying
    Pip - Hope you make it into the Century Club.

Harvey made it to middle Tennessee last night with pounding rain and lots of wind. Because of neighborhood flooding schools were closed. We are such a huge county with 80,000 plus students in the school system. When one area is impacted, the whole system closes. Nice for my teacher friends to have a four day weekend.

My August was a bust. I was doing well the first part of the month and then "poof" my umph disappeared.

September Goals (much left lofty)
    Check in here daily
    Exercise more; eat less

TNToni

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    TNToni if it is like here they may add to the end of the school year to make up for the missed days. It does make it difficult for some parents to find last minute care too. So Harvey is nothing but a pain!!!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,871 Member
    Options
    Machka in Oz – Portion control, tracking your food and liquids, and exercise are key in losing weight.

Yep ... that's how I lost 25 kg. :)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Back from the bbq. We left a bit earlier, using my cough as an excuse, but really, it was ok. DH wasn't too unhappy and found a couple of people to talk to. I have a BIIIIIIGGGGGGG family! It's funny, because I don't think of myself as a family person, but I am Auntie to six and great aunt to ten, plus all the partners etc. Plus my DSIL 's family. :o Nearly everyone turned up.
    I ate sparingly and was pretty good on the alcohol. DH was driving and he was good. :D We took a cooler of low alcohol cider with us. So I will add it all up in my head and log it, but I think no damage done. My brother's ex wife was there and she is very hard work to talk to, but I made a polite effort and got a couple of smiles. ;)

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options
    KATLA - i got the handkerchief back :0)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hello all, and happy National No Rhyme (Nor Reason) Day!

Long time no see... I'm so happy you are all still here and still doing your thing. It's been a trying summer, but the work load has finally abated just a little bit and I think maybe - just maybe - I'm starting to get a little mojo back too. My antidepressant has taken longer to kick in than in previous cycles but I think the fog may be lifting somewhat.

The down side is that I'm starting over. Although I've been checking in every day, that's all. I was just hanging onto that thread but in the meantime my weight was going the wrong direction. I'll be resetting my start weight and climbing back onto that horse now.

I was thinking about the fact that I need to lose about 60 pounds, and then it hit me that I'll be 60 years old next year on my birthday. While it's physically possible to lose that much between now and then, I think it's more reasonable to consider things realistically and not set myself up for failure. I am not a hard-body athlete, have never been nor wanted to be, and I'd have to work at a pretty high level to do that. Nonetheless, if I stay committed it should be possible to get at least most of the way there by the time I turn 60. It would be the best possible birthday gift to myself.

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone and getting to know all the new members!

-Yvonne in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,339 Member
    Options
    Happy September First!

Barbie,
    thanks for the new month. So many of us depend on this thread for support, advice and strength. Trolls and imposters included, lol.

Dana – I am so glad you are doing well and may not need to go under the knife again with the back surgeon! We heal so much better when not fighting pain. Glad the Abbott & the AG are going after the price gougers.

Michele – I cannot believe Maria hasn’t asked for your phone number or called you. Well, I guess I can believe it from what you’ve said. Geeze, you are the mother of the bride! All I can figure out is she’s either jealous or intimidated by you because you are such a go-getter and she’s afraid she’ll not measure up. Which is sad on her part. You are such an organized and giving person. Like you said, at least Denise will know you’ve made an attempt.

Gloria – good job with the protein drink! So glad it’s working for you! What a shame about the pool being closed until the 11th. Have fun at Ocean Shores – hopefully you can enjoy some cool ocean breezes!

Betsy – with your DH keeping good records, the IRS audit should be a breeze. Still kind of stressful until they give you the OK. Hopefully once this is over they’ll never bug you again!

Pip – where are you and Kirby riding this weekend? Are you taking the pups and the Airstream?

Mary – sending prayers! Crossing fingers for your DH!

Cathy – that was some blow-out! Yikes! Glad everyone OK. Your mom is a cutie – great family photo. Love your jewelry – how long have you been making it?

Terry in VT – those bookmarks are a wonderful idea. And your jewelry as well.

Meg – hope the rental sales go smoothly. Don’t blame you for wanting to simplify. You’ve had a lot going on in your life.

Josephine – you asked about doing an hour of strength training once a week. I do it three times a week with dumbbells and ankle weights, each session takes maybe 40 minutes. I often do the legs/ankle weights first then take a break (putter in the house or garden) then do upper body/arms later in the day. Has really helped my balance, keeping weight in line, keeping me off BP meds, my strength of course and fitting into clothes better.

Joyce and Toni – hope Harvey doesn’t overdo it with the rain in your areas. Isn’t he worn out yet? Geeze!

Lisa – good for you with the great medical report. Does your or DH’s insurance cover hearing aids if he needs one? I read that a bill has been passed allowing folks to not have to go to an audiologist for a hearing aid and pay their big markup-maybe with the audiologist results they can go to Walmart and get them cut rate like folks do with eyeglass prescriptions. Another thing with the hearing test – once in a great while bad hearing is caused by tumors on the auditory nerve.

Marcelyn and Ginger – thanks for the photos and praying the water is receding and stops for a while!

Regarding water drinking, I know Weight Watchers used to be so strict about drinking lots of water in addition to coffee, tea and other beverages. I could never do it and always felt bad like if I had drank more water I would have lost more weight or lost weight faster. NOT TRUE. Now the theory I follow is more to let thirst be a guide on when to drink water, plus check the urine color like Heather says. And I think WW has backed off that and now advises total liquids of a certain amount per day.

Yesterday we got out the little Bissell carpet cleaner and went over the dirty spots on our living room carpet. Mainly where I accidentally dropped a cup of coffee a week ago – I got after the spill right away but it still was stained in blotches. It looks 80% better. Had a few other doggie “accident” spots that look a lot better too.

I need to do some more spot treatment and have DH go over it again in a few weeks. The carpet is original to the house (we think) so it’s over 20 years old and we’ve lived here 10 years. With dogs running around and DH hauling in firewood all winter, we’re not going to think about replacing it just because it has some stains. Holes would be a different matter.

Gearing up for the last blast of summer. Got my early morning grocery shopping done and meals planned out for the next week if need be so hopefully no need for a run to the stores in the heat of the day. I must be a vampire - I turn lobster red if I'm out in 80 degree or hotter sun for any period of time. Love mornings, evenings and nights during the summer.

Resolutions for September – Mainly just keeping on with the strength training and bands, again keeping the sugar down. Weight is staying even, maybe fluctuates a pound or two (high end of BMI) and will be interesting to see in a few months if the strength training also reflects in the weight department since I’m not actively doing any calorie restriction.

OK better close. Keep cool and dry!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    DH came home early from work without warning - that always disconcerts me. I should have expected it - they usually all clear out early before holiday weekends but I forgot.

We were going to go out for Japanese food tonight but he's worried about gas (most gas stations in town seem to be out of gas or charging 6 dollars a gallon) so I took some meat out of freezer for tonight. I'm bummed.

Swam 1500 meters and took aqua fit class today. Biked to and from gym - one month later and I still can't make the ride both ways, still walking last two or three blocks. My legs just get all rubbery and can't keep pedaling.

I'm pretty sure cats know I'm depressed- they keep sitting near or pulling on my clothes to get attention today. They sure are good boys.

I didn't do the bodyweight strength stuff this week, - when I did it on Sunday I had regressed on how many reps I could do, I felt weak and energyless. I changed up my diet plan for next two months or so, we'll see of it goes better this Sunday when I restart.

Still no go on the job, I found out they did post it, but only internally so I can't apply. I'm not sure if/ when it will open up to anyone (me).

The good news here is the weather is so much cooler than a week ago.

I hope y'all have happy, healthy and safe (holiday for those in U.S.) weekends.

Rye in TX
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Going to have a hot spell again here. I am not looking forward to that. Hope it cools off by the next weekend as my mother is coming up for a month and we do not have air conditioning. She is 93 and does not tolerate the heat as well anymore.

Goals: Rider exercises every day.
    Water exercise or swim 3x per week.
    Increase fiber to 20-25 grams per day.

Barbie - Thanks for getting us started again.

Gloria - That pool must have been built about the same time as the pool at the YM here. Ours has been down for three weeks because of broken tiles, heater problems and leaking. It was built in 2007. The average life of a well-built pool should be about 50 years. I'm not sure this one will make it.

Mary - Prayers that everything works out for you and DH.

Pip - You go girl. Hope you get that extra shirt. Have fun bringing Bette up this way for the ride.

Ginger - You do a high fiber diet as I recall. Do you always include a supplement or are you able to get most of it with food?

Rori - Hope the sale on the condo goes through smoothly.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Happy September First!

Pip – where are you and Kirby riding this weekend? Are you taking the pups and the Airstream?

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

the ride starts at the skagit valley fairgrounds in mt vernon. makes a big loop and we come back to the same place. because we r going to be riding both days, we don't take the kids, it wouldn't be fair to them.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, I think that is the most you have ever said in one post. Enjoy your day. Congrats on your amount you and Kirby have raised.

It is 59 degrees right now! I love sweatshirt weather. It I don't have that many. I have no idea what happened to so,e of them but yet I have given away a lot of my clothes as I grow out of them. Then I go back to that size again and want them and can't find the kind I like or I don't like the price. The cheap ones are feel shear after they have been washed. Poor Mozart has never felt this weather and when I opened up the patio door this morning and they had the screen door open to them, he just stepped back and wouldn't approach it. .its not raining much, just like a soft gentle rain.

Joyce, Indiana