WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all, once again I'm behind in reading posts. Don't know how you all stay up tot date. Because I'm still new, I'm still trying to remember who is who. Anyone have any suggestions would be welcome.

Happy September! Feels like Fall already here in Vermont. Yikes, I still have a porch to finish painting!

My new jumprings came in yesterday so have been working on the new bracelet to put in the shop. Ran out so had to order more. Now have to wait to finish the bracelet. So I played around making some earrings. So I've been a slug and not doing much.

My weight has been stable and not moving down like I hoped it would. I was hoping to get to 30 lbs by the time we leave for vacation on the 15th. Only 2 lbs away.

Goals for September

1. keep being faithful to my tracking
    2. try new recipes
    3. increase my exercise (a must)
    4. enjoy vacation without gaining weight
    5. finish painting the porch

Welcome to the newbies!
    Terry in VT
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Your fitness level is inspiring. Your bike route is 100.59 miles in just over 9 hours! I am astounded and impressed. :star: Happy spring!

Thanks ... and yes, it was our "September Century". We've been cycling at least one 100 mile ride each month since January. So that's September done! :)

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • waltzingmom
    waltzingmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    DanaReel180 - I like your goals for September - especially cleaning out the garage! I've got to do that too!!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Took a long walk today. Saw a snake, ( just a garden snake, but he surprised me just the same!). Picked up a rock I had hid earlier in the week. I guess I did too much of a good job and no one has found it. So its home again!

Hugs to you ladies that are dealing with issues, know I keep you all close to my heart! Trying to be calm with my feelings about my boot camp son. I was never this way with my other two sons. I guess being not distracted and my attention to kids still at home isn't there now. On the good side I'm not turning to food for comfort! I haven't gained any weight since leaving TOPS in January if his year. I am proud of myself for that fact. Just as my son is dealing with boot camp, I need to deal with not having him home.
    Hugs!
    Becca
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Have any of you tried Inner Armour Isolate Zero to add protein? One of my football players was drinking from a gallon jug of it yesterday in class, and it actually looked yummy and interesting. You mix it with water rather than milk, so it has sort of a crystal light look to it. His was pink. They make a pink lemonade and a berry flavor. Not sure which his was. I looked it up online and the isolate Zero is the one you drink if you are interested in weight loss. There are others if you are more into bulking up or whatever, so he might have been using one of those. He just said Inner Armour when I asked him, and he said it tasted good and that he liked it. It got mixed reviews on Amazon. I'm sorely tempted, because I am failing miserably at upping my protein with food. I need to do just a little more research before I commit. It's whey protein and has 90 calories for 20 oz.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lanette So, tell me what qualifies as strength exercises. I read about your weights and think I could learn those daunting looking machines at the Y but just feel time is an issue. Perhaps there is a solution at home for me.
    drkatiebug My husband swore by protein drinks and I have used milkshake things. He shopped GNC. I am fine with protein here and working on keeping kidneys going so I will not add these back in the near future. But they were good!
    It is not quite 6 pm and I am calling it a day. Going to bed and reading this morning's paper!
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lanette So, tell me what qualifies as strength exercises. I read about your weights and think I could learn those daunting looking machines at the Y but just feel time is an issue. Perhaps there is a solution at home for me.
    drkatiebug My husband swore by protein drinks and I have used milkshake things. He shopped GNC. I am fine with protein here and working on keeping kidneys going so I will not add these back in the near future. But they were good!
    It is not quite 6 pm and I am calling it a day. Going to bed and reading this morning's paper!

Josephine - I found a website that is along the order of "Strong Women Stay Young". You'll see info about strength training for older gals, and the "vibrant aging" section is close to the program I do.

http://www.strongwomen.com/fitness/

To me, the idea is to be able to lift heavy pans (seriously), move heavy dishes off the top shelf of my cupboards, to have enough strength to lift with my legs and knees and not my back, be able to get up off the floor quickly and out of a chair quickly. Oh, and put some stress on my bones to keep them stronger since I'm kind of thin boned.

Of course, more muscle burns more calories and ups metabolism. No quick weight loss thing, but over time there are changes.

The program I've been following has helped me immensely in these areas.

Hope this helps- B)<3

Lanette

PS - I bought my dumb bells at Walmart, and my ankle weights over the internet. I probably have around $120 invested in this "gear" but I don't think that's too bad - if I had to pay to go to the gym that would only cover a few months.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn ... thought provoking post. The "what else can I bring" comment is applicable to many situations. I plan to remember it.

Katla ... 64 oz is a lot of water, but it's what MFP and most dietitians/medical people recommend. It will take me a while to get there again, but it is doable and it does help.

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    edited September 2017
    Options
    stats for the day: 1st workout at new gym

jog- 29.50min, 6.3-7.0sp, 9.40min mi, 161mhr, 150ahr, 5k= 361c
    Apple Watch- 368c
    floor exercises- 35min, 3sets of 10 ea, 13 different exercises, 141mhr, = 214c
    Apple Watch- 175c
    rowing machine- 5min, 794meters, 53aw, lvl7 out of 9, 115mhr, = 63w
    Apple Watch- 62c

total cal 658
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :)langman, Some of the women on this thread are amazing and respond to everyone usually using a word processing document to go back and forth between the thread and their responses. A good way to get started is to respond to one or two comments that seem interesting to you or respond to someone who is going through something similar to your life. Over time, you'll get to know more and more of the community. "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".

:)Josephine, I started with the "Strong Women Stay Young" program. I bought my ankle weights at Big Five and my dumbbells through Amazon. I don't have the time or money to go to a gym.

:) I told Jake I'd watch a movie with him today so my step count is low and I did only a few things on my "to do list" but we enjoyed the movie and it sparked a discussion on an important topic.

<3 Barbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    First weekend of spring. Bit of a bicycle ride today. :)

We had everything out there ... cloud, lots of cloud, a few rays of sun, wind, rain ...

This was a 'route checking' ride for an event we're hosting at the end of October. There will be a few changes ... but this is why we like to ride these things in advance.

Nouveau Trois!
    Distance: 161.9km
    etc.

We are also hosting a 600 km ride this weekend. We set two riders off at 5 am on Saturday, returned to our cabin and got ready for our ride.

When we finished our ride, we grabbed a short nap, dashed into town to get some dinner, then drove out to see how the riders were doing. Unfortunately one had pulled out but the other is still going.

He rolled into the caravan park where we're staying at about 10 pm last night, and we served up a light meal. His plan was to get going again at about 3 am, which he did, and then about 5:30 am, we were on the road to find him, and get some more food to him.

We returned and napped again, and will be heading out shortly for lunch and to check on him again.

He's going well, and if all goes well, should finish with a couple hours to spare at least before the cut off time of 9 pm tonight (Sunday).

And then we'll finally get a decent night's sleep!!

We wanted to ride this event ... we've put a lot of time and effort into creating the route and checking it and cycling portions of it etc. ... but our recent cold/flu meant that our fitness level isn't what it should be. Even the 160 km (100 mile) ride yesterday hurt more than it should have.

Anyway, when I'm not working and going to university ... this is what we do. :)

Machka in Oz
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Lisa, so glad to hear you got a clean bill of health on your 50K mile checkup. ;)

Rori, glad you are having the helper get a foot in the door.

Gloria, a huge Congrats on the weight loss. Now that is the way to get back on track. You go girl!!!!

MichelleUK, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

Pip, you and Kirby are great for doing the MS ride year after year. I hope you get the additional shirt this year.

Rye, I hope you will cheer up even if the “Flashes” continue. Gosh, I remember how terrible they were. ((((Hugs)))) Six dollars a gallon for gas???? I thought they were arresting any business owner that was gouging? That’s terrible.

Heather, so glad you and DH made it through the BBQ without too much pain. :)

Yvonne, glad to see you back and sounding good. Now just keep it up.

Chris, sorry about the position you wanted but glad you aren’t giving up. That is fantastic that you could ride 15 miles. Wow. You go girl. Ahhh, did you drink that huge bottle of wine???? You bad girl. Lol Love the pictures.

Felecia, good goals. Good luck. My DH has been frustrating me some lately and I pray for patience. A little (or a lot) grace would suit me well also.

KarenVA, cool toys. I remember many of them. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mary, I’ll be thinking of you and your DH and hope things go his way. Be safe in your travels.

Dana, gosh it sounds like the only thing left to do is new countertops. I always think it’s great when you can do one thing at a time on updating a home. I hope you enjoy it for a few years.

Joyce, I hope it’s a very happy anniversary. <3

KateUK, great comments from our niece. Doesn’t it make you feel great?????

Kelly, give that boy a big hug from all of his Pfat Chat Aunties.

Belovedelf, welcome! We are happy to have you join us. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called to help us respond to you. Also a location is nice, be it general or specific.

Kelly, what a great post. Thanks for sharing.

Liz, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. Every day is a new start so if you don’t eat the way you want today, there is always tomorrow. Come often.

Pip, cool nails. Ride like the wind.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We are all watching Irma to see what path it will take. It’s already a Category 2 and hasn’t even reached warm water yet. One possible path would put it heading right at the Carolina coast. They expect it to reach a Category 4 before then. It may just turn out to sea and miss the US totally which is what we are praying for. Still won’t have a good guess at the path for a few more days. If it were to hit here we are looking at 8 to 10 days out. We’ve already made a plan as to where to go at a hotel we know takes dogs.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC