WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Good morning-a bit rainy here in Virginia. Can not complain about this week-of course, maybe later today I could have some disaster. Read through our new month and glad to see everyone is kicking it forward. Big plans-grocery shopping, eat leftovers, and go to Y. I read that weight loss is most effective if you combine watching calories, cardio, and strength training. Ugh. I guess I will be adding strength training. Would 1 hour a week be enough?

You and me both, Josephine. I am reading yet another book about strength training, because as I told my teenager last night, "I'm going to go read about strength training because the longer I continue to read about strength training, the more I procrastinate doing it!" He just rolled his eyes.

I know I need to do it but I really, really, really don't want to do it. Once I finish this strength training book I'm reading . . . :wink:

My Goals for September

I joined the running challenge! So my first goal is to log 40 miles.

1) Run 40 miles
    2) Real strength training twice a week
    3) Display grace and patience with my DH (He is exasperating me lately!)

Much love to all of you. Welcome to the newbies. I still feel like a newbie myself, but I have been around for a few months now. I appreciate all of you, even if I don't always acknowledge it.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I read that weight loss is most effective if you combine watching calories, cardio, and strength training. Ugh. I guess I will be adding strength training. Would 1 hour a week be enough?

You and me both, Josephine. I am reading yet another book about strength training, because as I told my teenager last night, "I'm going to go read about strength training because the longer I continue to read about strength training, the more I procrastinate doing it!" He just rolled his eyes.

I know I need to do it but I really, really, really don't want to do it. Once I finish this strength training book I'm reading . . . :wink:
    Felicia

I've been trying bodyweight strength stuff because I know I can't get the form right for lifting by myself and I can't afford a trainer. I have my husband read the bodyweight exercise descriptions with me and watch the videos (even tho at first he insisted he knew what a proper squat looked like, turned out he didn't lol) and then watch me once a week to help me with form.

BUT I hate every second, and don't see/feel any better/improvement so I'm guessing in still doing everything all wrong :(
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Good morning-a bit rainy here in Virginia. Can not complain about this week-of course, maybe later today I could have some disaster. Read through our new month and glad to see everyone is kicking it forward. Big plans-grocery shopping, eat leftovers, and go to Y. I read that weight loss is most effective if you combine watching calories, cardio, and strength training. Ugh. I guess I will be adding strength training. Would 1 hour a week be enough?

My Goals for September

I joined the running challenge! So my first goal is to log 40 miles.

1) Run 40 miles
    2) Real strength training twice a week
    3) Display grace and patience with my DH (He is exasperating me lately!)

Much love to all of you. Welcome to the newbies. I still feel like a newbie myself, but I have been around for a few months now. I appreciate all of you, even if I don't always acknowledge it.

Felicia

Felicia - have you read "Strong Women Stay Young?" That's what kick started me into the strength training. Now I'm hooked, look forward to it. Thankfully DH is very supportive and babysits the puppy while I go out to my weight room - formerly potting shed. I think it would be very hard to try to do it in the house with the dogs and interruptions/distractions. Good luck!

Lanette
  • OregonMother
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Felicia - have you read "Strong Women Stay Young?" That's what kick started me into the strength training. Now I'm hooked, look forward to it. Thankfully DH is very supportive and babysits the puppy while I go out to my weight room - formerly potting shed. I think it would be very hard to try to do it in the house with the dogs and interruptions/distractions. Good luck!
    Lanette

I haven't read that one, Lanette. Oh, good! Another book about strength training. >:)

All joking aside, thanks for the recommendation, Lanette. I will check it out.

Felicia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies~
    im home, and mostly packed, have the deviled eggs done, still in my scrubs from work..
    just trying to get everything together to leave early am tomorrow,So glad to be spending some together time with people I love most, hoping it will be better than last years fiasco. will check in with you over the weekend
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Lanette

I haven't read that one, Lanette. Oh, good! Another book about strength training. >:)

All joking aside, thanks for the recommendation, Lanette. I will check it out.

Felicia

By the way, there's an original and revised version of Strong Women Stay Young, published in the late 90's. Author Miriam Nelson. I've seen both and like the revised version better - says it's a new streamlined program. It covers all the basics.

The program was actually originally designed for elderly women!

My DH used to be into weight lifting big time. Sometimes he gives me "tips" that I either like or ignore, I pretty much follow the advice in the book. I don't allow him to be present during my workouts. I've had too many years of his "constructive criticism" and he knows it's no longer appreciated. I should say, he knows it's for his own safety to let me do my thing. Poor fella <3

He knows if I ask him a question, all he needs to do is give me an answer. He knows better than to be my coach, LOL.

I've been at it for a little over 3 months. I just noticed yesterday that I can see my triceps! There's a little definition now and that sucker is a hard muscle. And my calf muscle as well.

I'm nearing the top of the weights now...from now on adding more weight will take time. The physical therapist suggested adding reps or another set instead of trying to up weight for a while.

Good luck all of your future strength trainers!

Lanette
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    chris great ride, you look great!
    NYKAREN
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    In case anyone is interested I make wraps with the med size tortillas, hummus, mini pepper slices, avocado slices and spinach. They are delicious and nutritious. About 300 calories.

Sue we had a pool in CA which is now almost 60 years old - as far as I know it's still in great shape. But then they didn't put tiles in the bottom. I don't get the purpose of tiles in the bottom of a pool.

The Y has a set of circuit machines that I do my strength training on - abs, arms, chest, back, bootski, legs. I also read the book Strong Women Stay Young. You don't have to use heavy barbells or lift like an Olympic champion. The more muscle you retain or gain the more fat you burn.

Off to run to the store to get a few things for tomorrow. Back later B)

Glo

• SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Chris - you look fabulous! What a neat bike ride - thank you for the pictures! That wine bottle looks tempting, lol. B)

So sorry about not getting that job - good for you staying on the hunt. You deserve to work at a job you enjoy and with people you enjoy.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, I've been wondering and worrying about you. So very glad to see you back. <3

Janetr okc
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for the September thread!

I took the kids to a Toys from the 50's 60's and 70's exhibit at the Va Historical Society Museum today:

ojhmq2jvefof.jpg

Karen in Virginia

Is that Chatty Cathy??? I had a doll that looked almost exactly like that except, I think, she had darker hair.

What a fun trip!

Felicia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 1/2 hr of HIIT. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Kathy Smith Total Body Lift DVD

After exercise, stopped at CVS to exchange some hair dye I got, then to Big Lots to see if I can get soda for Vince only they were out (probably somewhat thanks to me), got protein bars on sale, a tablecloth on sale for next year for the pool party, these garden fairies for the gals for helping me with the pool party, then stopped to get one of Vince's meds only they told me that the coupon had expired (there's nothing on the coupon that gives an expiration date) so for $150 Vince went back. Then made icing for the cupcakes I made yesterday. I had some extra batter from making the cake marbled so I made cupcakes. Steve can take them with him when he leaves.

Becca - I'm sure your son will be a great help to his brother and his brother will pass with flying colors. I know, it's stressful for a mom.

wildhorse - welcome to a great group. Just jump right in and make yourself at home.

machka - I'm the same way, always grazing.

Not doing well at all on my goal of eating only when hungry. I admit to some stress eating, even Vince is saying that he can't wait until this wedding is over. Denise called yesterday and was trying to tell me that Maria put the mirrors in a package, so I just told her that I'd take them out of the package, how Pete is always saying how he wants it to be two families coming together and I'm just trying to do that. What Maria decides is up to her. when I asked Denise for Maria's phone number I mentioned how she never asked for my number, she did ask for Jess', and I'd just like it in case I ever needed to get in touch with her. Denise said that Maria is trying to lay low right now. Well, of course she is. She has the reception the way she wants it with the people she wants, the shower the way she wants it, so she can afford right now to lay low. Jess called to say that people are saying they're confused by the second "invitation" to the shower. Vince told Denise that another invitation would only confuse people. I haven't received one so I don't know if Amanda talked Denise into sending a new invitation or not

Gloria - you reminded me that the pool at my Y will be closing down shortly. Well, it usually does.

Michelle with two l's - welcome from Michele with one "l"

Was hungry after exercise, didn't have any breakfast just a chocolate bran muffin. So I had one of those Pure Protein bars. Now I'm so full. I was getting a mini-hot flash so I had some frozen grapes. That always seems to cool me down.

Mary - only good thoughts

Lenora - I can't remember the last time I ate a fried food. To be honest, even the smell of something being fried turns my stomach.

Denise just called to be ask if I was planning to be at her second fitting. I told her I was, that she might get Jess and me, or she might get just me.

Bought boxes for her gifts. I was going to try to see if a store would sell me a box, but this lady suggested that I take two boxes and put them together. So that's what I'm going to do. Bought 3 boxes for $1 at the dollar store, also got ribbon to make a bow for the boxes, one I got 60% off and the other I got 55% off.

Yvonne - welcome back!

Lanette - my feeling about this shower is that when I'm there, I want people to see how someone with class acts. I do want to say something to the effect of "thank you everyone for coming to my daughter's bridal shower. Please take a favor in the gold bag, you are very special for coming so I made something special for you". Just made one bow for one of her gifts. I HAD to wrap it in tissue paper because when they were little, many times I'd wrap their presents in tissue paper and they ALWAYS complained about it. I just couldn't resist doing this. I basically remembered how to make the bow, but for the life of me I couldn't remember how this one lady made a loop in the middle. Well, Denise will get the bow as it is.

Felicia - I alternate between prefering cardio and then weights. Right now I'm in the "prefer weights" mode.

Karen in VA - thanks for posting pics of the toys. Unfortunately, I can relate to way too many of them....lol

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Chris in MA: I hope the perfect job turns up soon. :flowerforyou: I love the photos. You look great. :smiley:

Felicia: Strength training includes more than just weight lifting. Mary and others like Kettlebells, but I discovered my form was so poor that I tended to hurt myself. I mainly focus on yoga and the weight I lift is my own body. The athletic club I go to has free weights in a weight room, and they also have weight machines. I like the machines better because I don't get into sloppy form and hurt myself. The weights I lift in everyday life are items in house cleaning and saddling Arrow. Sometimes I use the machines at the gym. I'm more fit now than ever before in my life. I hope you'll find what works best for you. :star:

Today has been lovely. I had a great yoga class from my favorite teacher, and spent a nice hour with Arrow at the stable. I didn't ride today because of the heat. I got him out of his stall and jogged and walked with him for while, then gave him a treat and put him back in the stall. I plan to ride tomorrow--early enough to beat the heat.

I've been reading a biography of George Washington. This is relatively new and filled with lots of information and details I didn't know about in the past. I'm enjoying it, but I read a bit of the biography then read a romance, then go back to Washington's biography. :embarassed: :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    eno new gym workout, didn't open at 5am :( today

bike ride hm 2 sumn sta - 1hr 11min 26sec, 142mhr, 12.6amph. 15mi = 563c
    apple watch- 571c
    slow jog sta 2 wk w/backpk- 5.21min, 143mhr, 10.46min mi, .4mi = 73c
    apple watch- 60c
    slow jog wk 2 sta w/bkpack- 5.36min, 11.06amph, 145mhr, .5mi = 67c
    Apple Watch- 55c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.30min, 9.4amph, 151mhr, 2.5mi = 171c
    Apple Watch- 155c

total cal 874
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Chris – So sorry you didn’t get the job. Hope you find an even better one soon!

Janetr – Thanks for the thoughts! I’ve been OK, but work was overwhelming for awhile there and it was all I could do to just stay on top of it and hang on.

Karen – Oh, my gosh, I think my sister had one of those “poor pitiful” dolls. Can’t remember what they were called, but it was certainly homely. Great exhibit!

Michele – Thank you, it’s good to be back.

Just got word from my dad that the last of my people are accounted for. Dad’s cousin and his wife rode out the bad weather elsewhere, and their home is not damaged. I’ve got one friend with three feet of water in his house and a cousin whose home in Kingwood is a total loss, but everybody is OK.

-Yvonne in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Karen in Va - who enjoyed the toys more.... you or the kids? B)

Thanks for sharing those photos, brought back a lot of memories! <3

Lanette
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for moving us into September!

August went by so quickly and while I did not meet all of my goals I did lose 2 pounds. Since the scale has been increasing each month for the last year I'm happy with that and hope to build on it in September.

Calories In Calories Out ... it never fails me! And the way to accurately do that is weigh/measure, log and exercise. It's so simple and so hard at the same time. As for water ... I've been negligent in that area and think that would be a good goal for September ... 64oz per day.

So ... I've come to the conclusion that I do a lousy job with the weed eater. The areas I worked on are a little shaggy looking. It's going to take some practice I think, but the yard does look better than it has in a long time as I did areas my son didn't think were important

Tonight I bought a new carpet cleaner/shampooer. I really know how to have fun! :p My old one finally bit the dust and I definitely need one with the black lab. That will be one of my projects next week ... cleaning carpet where the dog is known to park himself.

So glad it's the weekend and a long one at that.

Beth near Buffalo ... where it is supposed to drop to 47 degrees tonight .. Fall is definitely coming!