WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My September goals are to stay at my allotted calories, and to get back into going to the Y. My Zumba class has fizzled out due to low attendance over the summer, and I spent weekend days working on projects at home instead of swimming in the afternoon.

We will have 3 grandkids here from Saturday night til Monday evening. I love having them but they are exhausting. The good thing is that I'll get lots of exercise. The twin girls are 10 and their brother is 8. I hope the weather is nice enough for lots of outdoor adventures. It's supppsed to be rainy.

Hubs and I are going to the beach for a long weekend next week. It will be fun, but tricky for watching what I eat. He has health issues and can't walk nearly as much as I want to. He keeps talking about where we'll eat and the list is long. I should be able to stay at maintenance calories, but vacations are always such a balancing act between minding calories and still being able to go out to eat like we have always done.

Almost time for bed. Good night
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Yvonne – I think it is important to not look at the total you need or want to lose; as it does get overwhelming. Set smaller goals, then reward yourself with something not related to food, a pair of new earrings, maybe a top to go with a pair of slacks that fit you. Numbers can get ‘in the way’ of success when we think we need to be a certain size or lose a certain amount. Losing weight is a ‘lifestyle’ change, it isn’t a ‘diet’. A pound a two a week I think is pretty realistic if you want the weight to come off and stay off. There is no easy overnight fix. My DDnL#1 thinks she ought to be able to take a pill and wake up the next day and be thin. She doesn’t have the discipline to make that ‘lifestyle’ change. Until she is, she is going to continue to ‘yo-yo’. She hasn’t said ‘jack squat’ about my weight [loss]. I don’t say anything to her about her weight. Thankfully, our DOGD went for her first physical and the tests showed she is hypothyroid (under active) … they have started her out on a low dosage. She told me she was beginning to feel better; but, did not think the dosage they had her on was enough. I told her that she should call her MD and leave a message with her nurse. Maybe being in a small town, she will call her back, or the nurse will and maybe she will increase the dosage. She’s also gone to the GYN for the first time, too. Have not talked to her since. She’s short at 5’-nothing and has gained that “Freshman 15” every year in college (or it seems like it; I doubt she has put on a total of 60lbs.; but, her height only makes her look larger. I’m just happy that she is taking care of herself, now that the family has health insurance benefits (that will cover her until she is 26, still in school, and not married yet. I walk for my exercise, either around our property or on a treadmill (I don’t like it; but, I can burn more calories on it in less time than walking outside for an hour.

We’re happy to have you back, too. Keep on posting, that way you will get input and encouragement. Track everything that crosses your lips including anything you drink. Tracking your food ‘honestly’ will help let you see what you are doing that works and what isn’t. I am a big proponent of checking with your MD to talk to them about weight loss and how many calories you need to take in and how many you need to burn in order to lose. I do not ‘eat’ back my calories, I just let my exercise be my ‘cushion’ when counting calories. At least if I go way over, I have something to fall back on and on those occasions I do ‘factor in’ my calories burned.

We’re on vacation this week, in Louisiana, and up until today it has rained pretty hard every day since we got here.

I’ve got a weight loss comparison that is pretty funny when it lists the number of pounds compared to something you can imagine. PM me if you’d like to have a copy sent to you with your email address. It is about 2 or 3 pages long. I keep a copy attached to my refrigerator so I ‘think’ about it before I open it up to ‘graze’. LOL!!!

Lanette – I use ‘distilled’ water in my Cpap machine and never realized how badly it stains the carpet when I spill it. I guess I should have because it does sort of have a somewhat ‘greasy’ feel to it. I also think they don’t recommend drinking it. I’ve never drank it; but, the machine specifically calls for ‘distilled’ water. Louis will come ‘borrow’ it to put water in his batteries; but, thankfully, he is good about buying an extra bottle. I have put tap water in it, only for one night until I can get to the store.

Chris – You look wonderful. I’m afraid of what I will find out on Tuesday when I go for my weigh-in. A full week of eating everything in sight; with no exercise but for 2 days and not long with that at all. We took DYS and family out-to-eat and made the mistake of ordering ‘fried’ shrimp and I only ate 3 of them and felt like I was going to taste them coming up. Thankfully, I had order a cup of seafood gumbo … so I was full. They brought it home, but I am NOT going to touch it. I found that ‘not’ having eaten ‘fried’ foods has its perks; but, if you find you have to try to ‘eat’ it … Nahda! I could eat fried fish freshly caught; but, they stick it in a pile of paper towels inside a paper bag; so the grease is soaked up. Now, that kind of fried fish I can eat just not as much as I used to.
    We went to Tami’s BF’s wedding. Together she and he husband have 5 children between them. I think the oldest is 9; the youngest maybe 4. They have custody of all 5 of them. It was such a sweet wedding. Tami was her only attendant. She looked wonderful in a dark blue gown, and actually looked pregnant. They are going to Jackson, MS tomorrow for another sonogram to hear the heartbeat. She has been thrilled beyond belief. Please pray that everything goes well with this pregnancy and they have a nice, bouncing healthy baby. They have decided to NOT find out what it is going to be. She has picked out a ‘girl’s name’; but, for some reason I am not thinking a girl; although Mallory would rather have a baby sister. She already has a younger half-brother who is a ‘bother’ to her.
    We got Will a new laptop bag; his last one got left in the back of his truck. He was able to recover most of what his laptop had on it; but, the bag was shot. When I had talked to him earlier and asked what he wanted for his birthday … he hemmed and hawed like he always does. So I call Tami and asked her. He was surprised when he got it and said, ‘Oh, I can really use this – I needed it’. I had bought Tami a short robe; then when I saw her I thought, “OH $#*T, no way it is going to fit her … then we found out why. She likes it; but, I told her if she wanted to exchange it, there was a ‘gift receipt’ in the box. Of course, the nearest Victoria Station is across the State in Alexandria. Maybe there is one in Jackson, MS when they go up on Tuesday and she can check it out.

Michele – If I remember how to make bows; when you start making the loops, you get smaller and smaller each time; but all but the smallest loop, with a ‘V’ on either side, careful not to cut all the way through. Wrap wire tightly around the ribbon at the “V” and then start pulling out each loop opposite from the one you’ve pulled out, that should leave that little loop in place to cover the wire. You might have to do a ‘test’ run. But, that is ‘how’ I sort of remember doing them. It’s been a while since I have gone to the trouble of making a bow. You can also cut a small piece and loop in over and carefully weave a stapler into the center and staple the ends to one another. Sort of like how they attach the ‘sticky’ backing to the bow. Check them out at a store that sells them. It is easier to see the larger the bow is.

I tried to hold a plank, the way I saw it on a YouTube video. I don’t know what I did incorrectly; but, my back hurt like a ‘sum-o-beach’ for a week; like I had a pinched nerve. They x-rayed it and I am beginning to have some degeneration of the bones in my spine, so I guess that is probably ‘out of the question’ for me to do.

Yvonne – One thing they say is ‘things can be replaced’ (for the most part); but, having your family safe is the ultimate joy!

Lenora
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Re: Water
    I drink coffee with fat free half and half in the morning and water, sparkling water and ice tea. I used to love diet sodas but the aspartame was killing my stomach. It was too bad the soda companies switched to that stuff. I know they are being made with sucralose, but any sweetner is questionable. I reserve 2 packs of Sweet and Low for my coffee!
    I record sparkling water as water.

I drink lots of "Brita" water here in Hot Springs. The water here is so good plus we have hot and cold springs downtown we can get water from for free. You could even make a cup of hot tea right there at one of the hot spring spigots. I was getting some water and I was curious how hot it was and stuck my finger in it! Ouch!!! It was really hot!!

Lenora Thanks for all the painting tips! Where are you going when you leave Mississippi?

DJ The next thing I want to do is new counter tops. I'm going to restain the cabinets and paint. It will be a while. I've already done carpets, laminate, faux wood blinds thru-out, new ceiling fans, new deck rails and a chainlink fence. Not too mention new furniture, septic tank work and trees cut back!! My husband is going to divorce me if I don't find another hobby!! But he doesn't like to travel much, so I want something to keep me busy. Besides, the improvements will get a better price for the house when we sell in a few years. I don't plan to move; we've only been here two years but at age 68, things can happen fast!

Welcome newbies! Come back often and have fun with all us crazy women!!

<3
    Dana in Arkansas

On the Little Rock news this evening some men where carrying a 9 foot long alligator out of a house that had been flooded. OMG!! Can you imagine seeing that in your house?
    n5sd7l0lcugk.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, glad you ok, family is oK. I can not imagine in my wildest dreams what you all have gone through. Evansville had their infamous flood of 1937 where I guess the entire city was completely flooded. We are a river town and occasionally the areas around the river do flood but we are now where near the river. Still the city is declared a flood plane so we can't get flood insurance.

Lenora, How are you spilling your distilled water. I take my water chamber out and take it to the bathroom and fill it over the bathroom sink.

That alligator is just awful. I would be totally freaked out if I was allowed to go back and check my property and see that floating around in my house, or even crawling out. I would never go back in that house. All who have done any rescue work or any kind are true heroes. My husband and I get upset of how the term hero is used so loosely these days. A football player or an Astor is not a hero, even if they give money to a charity. These guys down there are true heroes. For so many of the, it is not their job. They are just humans caring for humans. Looking back at that picture, that man is even smiling!

Well when most of you read this, Charlie and I will be having our 45thnweddimg anniversary! Wedded bliss? Nope but love, compromise and believing in our vows. And also seeing what divorce has done to each of his siblings and parents. He is one of four children and the only one never divorced. One brother divorced once, other brother on his fifth, sister also on her fifth. Well she was married to one and found out he was still married to another woman so I don't know if that counts as a marriage or not. Father divorced nice and mother divorced, well I lost count on her marriages, I'm not even sure if she knew. She was mentally ill and some of her husbands are men she met in he state hospital. Charlie did not want to be one of those statistics. We just trudge Lang and take each day at a time.

Tonight while we were eating I told him that 45 years ago I was crying you eyes out. My sister and I had gone to pick my wedding dress up and was informed that they didn't have it. Claims that when I took it out to have my pictures taken I didn't bring it back. They finally found it hung up in the K which would be my married initial instead of the P which was my maiden. Because of all that mess we didn't get to the county clerks office I time to pick up the marriage license. Called my pastor and no, he couldn't marry us without it. He called around, we found a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend that was the county clerk and running for office the next in two months that was more than glad to go down to the office and meet us there to get it! Only other thing that happened was when my parents got down here, Dad had forgot to bring his suit and had to go out and buy a new suit and shoes. I think it was on purpose. But I will never forget the fact that the Jerry Lewis telethon was on that weekend and I didn't like Charlie's attention to the tv.

Allie, I would be so worried about leaving all my stuff packed up in the house and go away while Tom was there.

Well it rained enough today that the first day of Evansville's first hydroplane races in about seven years didn't happen. Friday's is just when they warn up, get out on the water, tomorrow they have all the heats and the race Sunday. But the concert was cancelled, no one and I mean no one showed up at the food booths. It's one of our big money makers.

Night night, Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Joyce,
    It will be fine..I have stuff in boxes And he will be leaving today to go to Saratoga to a horse race.our friends have a key to the house and will come down and let the boys outside.i will hide.my lock box ,but other than that if he wants to look at what is in the boxes let him.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sorry I went back through the posts and can't find who asked me what a seated stepper is. It looks like a recumbent bike but instead of having pedals that go around it has the big pedals like an elliptical and you push the pedals up and down. It is for people with bad knees and/or bad backs. You can increase the tension from 1-10 and it really makes a difference in how much effort you are having to use to push the pedals. They were going to take it out of the Y I used to go to and I asked them please not to because I could not even get onto the new machines they were going to use instead. Also people in wheelchairs can move from their wheelchairs to the recumbents. The seated stepper tells you how many steps you did, the distance, calories burned, speed, and you can attach a heart rate monitor. If you google seated stepper you can see a pic of one.
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    I always wanted a Howdy Doody marionette. I had a Toni doll. She came with permanent rods so you could curl her hair like a Toni perm.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Love and hugs to all Gloria in WA soon to be on my way to the beach - with sunscreen of course B)B)B)
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    (((((Heather)))))
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    morning all <3<3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3