What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options
DX2JX2
DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
Do you have any foods that you started eating when you started your weight loss efforts because you thought that they were 'healthy' or helpful but then ultimately abandoned once you realized that you didn't really have to eat any specific kinds of food to lose weight?

For me:

Carrot sticks (I struggled with raw carrots and the carrots won)

Brown rice (especially when I learned that it's not all that much healthier than white)

Sweet potatoes (just give me a good old russet or yukon gold instead)

Packaged breakfast bars (I realized that I'd rather take 10 minutes and make an egg sandwich for not that many additional calories)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never forced myself to eat things I don't like. That said, I like most things...always have. Dieting didn't really introduce me to anything I wasn't already eating.

This for me too. I did and still do occasionally try new foods, but if I still don't like them I don't eat them.

Edit: reading some of these foods people don't like makes me feel like I'll eat anything and that I like almost everything. 3 foods I gained from trying "healthy" foods are baby spinach, sweet potatoes & bananas. I also found that I can't tolerate avacado in large doses. Messes up my stomach.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hemp protein powder. i put up with it at first and even bought refills. then i just quit.

same with flax seeds in smoothies. they're okay if you can drink the thing in 3 minutes but longer than that and the oil gets all bitter and gross.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I never forced myself to eat things I don't like. That said, I like most things...always have. Dieting didn't really introduce me to anything I wasn't already eating.

This for me too. I did and still do occasionally try new foods, but if I still don't like them I don't eat them.

Pretty much organ meat is about the only thing I've tried that I didn't care for...

Going to see the in-laws this weekend...they're British and will more than likely make kidney pie at some point this weekend...I will be respectfully requesting a PB&J...

Just kidney? Or steak and kidney? I've heard of(and tried) the latter, and despite "not liking" organ meats, it's not bad...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Green Vibrance Powder...It was actually one of the few "healthy" fads that I tried. Three years later, I still have a jar in the fridge and one in the cabinet that need disposal.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Brown rice (especially when I learned that it's not all that much healthier than white)

Sweet potatoes (just give me a good old russet or yukon gold instead)

Both of these, I don't even like sweet potatoes as French fries. I also don't care for Kale, I stick with spinach. I have also tried most all fish, just don't enjoy it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Steak and chunk beef. I wanted all that iron and protein, but it's just not happening.

ETA: and sweet potatoes, yeah.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nut butter(s), and beets
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Almonds, almond butter, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am an extremely picky eater (always has been) therefore healthy eating was a very difficult transition to make. My favourite rule to live by is: If you don't like it, don't eat it. There will always be healthy substitutes available.

Things I hate:
    Peas
    Salads (I eat the vegetables separately, I hate it combined)
    Tea
    Celery
    Red meat and animal organs
    Salty pumpkin
    Oven baked vegetables that become soggy lol
    And anything that gives a bitter taste
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Pretty much organ meat is about the only thing I've tried that I didn't care for...

Going to see the in-laws this weekend...they're British and will more than likely make kidney pie at some point this weekend...I will be respectfully requesting a PB&J...

Just kidney? Or steak and kidney? I've heard of(and tried) the latter, and despite "not liking" organ meats, it's not bad...

IDK...all I know is that I tried it once at their house, and it's a non starter for me...same if they do liver and onions...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Protein powder

I can only think of 3 foods I tried to add to my diet during weight loss and those 2 didn't make the cut. The third was chia seeds but I still sometimes use those.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Fish. Any and all fish (unless it's Gorton's battered...lol). The one food I found I love is kale when most people I know don't like it. I also learned that I like spinach, but not by itself.