What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    When I was a kid, my mom threw a container of cottage cheese at me -- and missed. It splattered all over the wall and I had to clean it up. Until about a year ago, I'd never even tried it because I thought it looked gross. Not a huge fan, but it's edible.

I won't eat carrots, celery, cheese cake or pot roast.

Try good culture cottage cheese! Life changer.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    Fruit. So not worth the calories, and I'm just not that much of a fan of it. Would rather have a giant veggie stirfry and a chocolate bar than fruit for dessert.

Agree 100%
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    kazminchu wrote: »
    Fruit. So not worth the calories, and I'm just not that much of a fan of it. Would rather have a giant veggie stirfry and a chocolate bar than fruit for dessert.

Agree 100%

How funny individual differences are. I'll take your fruit (particularly if wonderfully ripe pineapple or cantaloupe) and you can have my chocolate.

I get a craving for chocolate maybe 4x a year and usually satisfy it with a homemade hot coconut mocha (coffee, canned coconut milk and cocoa). But I eat pineapple and cantaloupe daily when I can find a ripe and tasty supply.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of salads. I've never been a huge salad fan, anyway, and trying to force myself to choke one down when I don't really want to is tough. I DO still eat them when they sound good (had a huge one yesterday that was super delicous), but I've figured out better ways of managing my diet and my intake instead of forced salad intake.

I don't like raw veggies as a whole (I LOVE veggies, but prefer most cooked), really, so I've stopped trying to make them a snack. I realize now that if I physically need a snack, I really need a quick hit of carbs (so fruit, or a cookie or two, or some pretzels or crackers) or I need a punch of protein (usually nuts). If my snack "need" is a comfort thing (and I usually try to leave some room at the end of the day for a late night snack), it's going to be something I love and enjoy. Not some cold veggies!

I also don't force myself to the same thing, day in and day out. I've been doing a lot of protein shakes or smoothies for breakfast, but today I was wanting something more substantial and savory. I made a bowl of rice and lentil and it hit the freaking spot!
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Haha I love seeing how different people's tastes are! I could eat oatmeal, beets and sweet potatoes every day! Kale is ok if somebody else goes to the trouble of putting it in a nice salad and making all the flavors work, but I won't buy it or cook with it on my own. Chia pudding though - did not like that one bit. Not worth it.
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    "Spaghetti" made with any kind of vegetable. I've tried courgetti and despite loving courgettes I just couldn't get behind it. I'd rather just have a smaller amount of real pasta and really enjoy it!

Ditto alternative pizza bases. If you like them then fine, but other than that I just don't see the point when I find it perfectly possible to have a couple of slices of the real deal occasionally and still stay under calories.

Then again, I only ever ate pasta or pizza occasionally so perhaps this sort of substitution was not developed with me in mind...
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Do you have any foods that you started eating when you started your weight loss efforts because you thought that they were 'healthy' or helpful but then ultimately abandoned once you realized that you didn't really have to eat any specific kinds of food to lose weight?

For me:

Carrot sticks (I struggled with raw carrots and the carrots won)

Brown rice (especially when I learned that it's not all that much healthier than white)

Sweet potatoes (just give me a good old russet or yukon gold instead)

Packaged breakfast bars (I realized that I'd rather take 10 minutes and make an egg sandwich for not that many additional calories)

Ironically, there's not much difference nutritionally speaking between a sweet potato and regular potato either...not sure why the sweet potato is such a darling. I like them from time to time, but much prefer a regular baked potato most of the time. The nutritional difference is negligible at best...

I just like the taste way better. I love sweet potatos. Regular potatos however, I could never stand.

I'll eat regular or sweet potatoes, and like both. When it comes to eating a baked potato, though, I'd really rather have the sweet potato. I can add a TINY bit of butter and brown sugar (like less than tsp of each) and love the flavor. For me to eat a normal baked potato and enjoy it, I need sour cream, chives, and/or cheese and usually feel a need to reapply the toppings to finish up the entire potato...which kind of defeats the purpose.

So agree with you on baked potatoes. They're a bit of a lunchtime staple here in the UK but I never eat them because I really don't like the taste of bland potato, which is what 90% of eating a baked potato is like. Sweet potatoes are amazing - I loved them long before I tried losing weight! I don't mind them the sweet American way (it helps to have a sweet tooth, haha) but my favourite thing to do with them is sweet potato wedges roasted with a little olive oil, smoked paprika and garlic seasoning. So good!
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I decided salad isn't worth it, and neither is skim milk. If I'm going to drink milk, it will be creamy, not milk flavored water.

I love sweet potatoes, and will eat kale if it is cooked and paired with couscous or freekeh. I don't think I'm a picky eater, but I am more picky when it comes to "junk" food or eating out. I pretty much just like sandwhich shops and chickfila. It isn't a health thing, I just don't like spending money on things if I can have a better meal at home.
  • missheathier
    missheathier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just cannot get on with sweet potato!!!!
    Really like the edamame or lentil pastas, heaps of protein and super filling (0:
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Grapefruit. Cottage cheese. Celery. Kale. Especially kale.

Kale is *kitten* and I'm convinced it's not fit for human consumption. Here's my list, in no particular order (except that kale is always first):

(1) Celery. Like, why?
    (2) Lettuce, especially iceberg. (Bring me food, not water.)
    (3) Grapes--used to love 'em, now I know that they make me hungrier. :(
    (4) Whole wheat anything (except einkorn--that stuff's usually legit, and doesn't taste awful)

I didn't like beans until I customized a bissara recipe for my own personal needs. Bean soup? Nope. Beans on their own? Forget it.
  • Kullerva
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    Most herb tea. It tastes like lawn grass. (To my sorrow, I've developed a caffeine allergy, so I'm working through the herb teas)

Licorice, rooibos and cinnamon teas are the least "grasslike" I've tried. (Green tea tastes like eating grass. I hate it.)
  • Kullerva
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Raw carrots - I was eating a couple large ones a day and my mother noticed my fingers were turning orange.

Salad - I like my vegetables cooked I'm afraid.

Fat free Greek Yoghurt. I prefer the full fat stuff when it comes to Greek.

I went through a phase as a toddler when all I would eat was orange food. Turns out mom's right--eat too much orange food and you *will* turn orange. :)
  • papercut2k
    papercut2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato. Always hated the stuff, the only time I would eat it is on Thanksgiving and that's just to spare my grandmother's feelings because for some reason she likes to bake a half dozen sweet potato pie.

When I stated out I was scouring Bodybuilding.com and they swear up and down the benefits of sweet potato. And no just NO.

Green smoothies. I thought this would be an effective way of eating my veggies. Yeah... That didn't work out so well when I try to mask the bitterness of the veggies with piles of fruit. Nowadays, I make a snack of veggies and hummus and save on sugar calories.

Protein Shakes. Me and Protein Shakes have a sordid history. I normally don't get enough protein. There have been many days where I get 40 or 50 grams and MFP (at default settings* 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat) had me at a goal of 140 due to exercise. I would try to force myself to drink it for a few weeks. Give up and try again. Ugh. I can't seem to find a flavor I like.

Protein bars. Too expensive, most have terrible nutritional profiles and are chalky.

Unsweetened Greek Yogurt with fruit. I've tried, but it's just not the same as the prepared cane sugar added versions. I rather just compensate for the extra sugar.

Almond Butter. No thanks. Too expensive and just doesn't taste as good or as smooth as peanut butter.
  • sithiria
    sithiria Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried kale. Just no. I can do black beans and brown rice and Halo Top has saved me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »

Also I don't know why everyone's hating on sweet potatoes, I love them to death. You're not eating them right if you think they're gross, I will fight you on this one. :)

Trust me, I have tried it prepared in so many ways. Eaten sweet they felt too "vegetable-y" as if someone played a prank with the salt shaker for regular potatoes, and eaten savory it felts all kinds of wrong, even more wrong than sweet I couldn't even swallow (and yet stubbornly kept trying it different ways before I gave up). Garlic ice cream kind of wrong. It's just too sickeningly sweet for a vegetable. Carrots and onions are about the only sweet vegetables I can tolerate in food, and only because I'm used to them. I'm very sensitive to sweetness in savory foods that I have to make my own pasta sauce and would not eat BBQ marinated in conventional BBQ sauce (so much for us layfolk who eat added sugar somehow not being able to recognize sweetness in naturally sweet foods unless we cut out added sugar like some people believe.)

Flip side: I tried kale and liked it the first time I tried it without having to bend over backwards to "make it taste good", and I would eat a regular potato with nothing but a pinch of salt every day and wouldn't complain. I actually like every single plant-based food people mentioned not liking including chia seeds and brown rice.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Anything fermented... yuck imo