Overnight Oatmeal Recipes

Options

Replies

• craschi
    craschi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made this with Dannon Oikos and am in love! I hate instant oatmeal so this allows me to have real oatmeal on a regular weekday morning.

Thanks!
  • Jason3589
    Jason3589 Posts: 734
    Options
    Just made one to have later. Just noted that l'm the only bloke posting on here!! lol
  • liisa23
    liisa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just came across the overnight method for steel cut oats today. I'm going to give it a shot tonight, fingers crossed!

http://www.thekitchn.com/simple-breakfast-nocook-overni-125986
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ajvallance
    ajvallance Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Yum! I typically do not like oatmeal but I need to try this :)
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just came across the overnight method for steel cut oats today. I'm going to give it a shot tonight, fingers crossed!

http://www.thekitchn.com/simple-breakfast-nocook-overni-125986

hey, did you try this? how did it come out? I love steel cut oats but i'm too lazy to cook them....
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    loving the sound of this but newbie question - how many servings does the OP's recipe make? Apologies in advance if I've missed it.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    loving the sound of this but newbie question - how many servings does the OP's recipe make? Apologies in advance if I've missed it.

Disregard this - figured it out all by my blonde self! Duh!!
  • jamalmoses1
    jamalmoses1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sweet cant wait to try it thanks
  • HulaGirly
    HulaGirly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Put some steel cut oatmeal in a bowl. Cover with almond milk. Sprinkle some frozen blueberries on it. Put in fridge overnight. Its SO GOOD the next day, and very filling!
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The recipe I use appears a bit different. but We kiwis are a bit of an odd lot.
    This works with rolled or steel cut oats.

slow cooker porridge. (overnight)

1 cup dry rolled or steel cut oats,
    4 cups water
    1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
    2 tblspoon of dried fruit of choice. i use saltanas or raisons or dried apricots :P

at bedtime, put all ingredience in an oven proof bowl with a lid. place inside slowcooker and pour cool water into the slowcooker to make a water bath for the bowl with the porridge in it.
    Put lid on bowl, and lid on slowcooker,
    Turn on low and go zzzzzzzz
    Next morning, stir and serve with milk and brown sugar..
    Makes approx 4 servings at 72 calories a serve before adding sugar and milk .
    Enjoy :D
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm.....
  • heartandsoul1
    heartandsoul1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    unless you cook them first , they don't soften as well as the other oats
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    Bump
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats! But I always make mine in the crockpot over night. Soooo many different ways to make them. Delicious! For some reason I like my oatmeal warm, so regualr oats in the fridge method doesn't work for me.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The recipe I use appears a bit different. but We kiwis are a bit of an odd lot.
    This works with rolled or steel cut oats.

slow cooker porridge. (overnight)

1 cup dry rolled or steel cut oats,
    4 cups water
    1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
    2 tblspoon of dried fruit of choice. i use saltanas or raisons or dried apricots :P

at bedtime, put all ingredience in an oven proof bowl with a lid. place inside slowcooker and pour cool water into the slowcooker to make a water bath for the bowl with the porridge in it.
    Put lid on bowl, and lid on slowcooker,
    Turn on low and go zzzzzzzz
    Next morning, stir and serve with milk and brown sugar..
    Makes approx 4 servings at 72 calories a serve before adding sugar and milk .
    Enjoy :D

This sounds awesome. I'll have to try this out!
  • Annieway987
    Annieway987 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the overnight slow cooker method for overnight oatmeal with steelcut oats which appears a few posts up. I have an old crock pot from the thrift store and I don't use a water bath. It's good with sliced apples and dried cranberries. I put some cinnamon in there too.

I have read that the newer crockpots run hotter than the "vintage" ones and tend to burn overnight oatmeal, but I have never had that problem. If you don't eat it all the first morning, put it in microwave safe bowls and store in the fridge. Just pull it out the next day and zap for about a minute and a half and you're good to go!