Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Tweaking_TimeTweaking_Time Posts: 734Member Member Posts: 734Member Member
Has your doc ever suggested you lose weight? If so, were you offended?

I asked my doc if she ever suggested people lose weight, eat better, exercise more, etc. She said that her answer would be mostly "No." When I asked her why she explained that being a doctor is a business and if she would critique each patients weight, she is sure she would lose patients, especially the easily offended ones. She also said if the patient asks her opinion about their weight, should would gladly help them with a diet/exercise plan.

Replies

• ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 41,990Member, Greeter MFP Greeter Posts: 41,990Member, Greeter MFP Greeter
    I've never had to have my doctor tell me to, but if I had a weight problem, I would expect them to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Katus130Katus130 Posts: 48Member, Premium Member Posts: 48Member, Premium Member
    My Doc usually comments on how fit I look and how she wished her other patients were more focused on nutrition. That said, I'm an athlete and weight wise I'm at a very good place.

I do think that it must be very difficult for docs to discuss this with patients, especially when they are on an extreme end of the spectrum.
  • MotherOfSharpeiMotherOfSharpei Posts: 1,070Member Member Posts: 1,070Member Member
    I brought it up to my GP first.... actually booked an appt to discuss it when I saw it happening. By the time it came back around to see her again, I was losing and she complimented my progress. My OB actually expressed shock when she saw how much I had gained in a year and suggested I lose...by then my GP and I had already discussed it. It didn't offend me tho....125-197lbs in less than a year was shocking to me, too!
  • DnarulesDnarules Posts: 1,949Member Member Posts: 1,949Member Member
    My doctor approached it "gently" by mentioning 30 minutes of exercise a day and printing off information on diet and light exercise. He never said obese.

The funny thing is when I went back one time after losing 40-45 pounds, he said nothing. I had to bring it up, and then he asked if I did it intentionally :). Mind you, I had gone from 184 to about 144ish, so it was extremely noticeable. I gained it all back, so now he is back to gentle reminders.