Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    The only doctor who mentioned my weight was my OB/GYN. I was seeing her for a prolapsed uterus. She mentioned that if I lost a bit of weight, the symptoms might be less pronounced. She also told me (when I was pregnant) that I needed to be more careful with how much I was gaining, however conceded that I was retaining a lot of water so as long as my test results continued to be good (they were), she wouldn't require me to diet/restrict calories.

My regular doctor remarked that she noticed that I had lost weight when I had dropped around 50 lbs (from 180 to 130), but I've mostly been in the "overweight" section of the chart, and not obese, so I think they don't say as much.

I'm in Canada, where doctors are also hard to get in to, so they're not worried about loss of income.

Aren't our doctors paid by the Government? Then it wouldn't matter at all if they lost a patient who got offended because that patient causes no effect on their income.

Are they paid a flat salary regardless of number of patients?

I just googled and I think it depends on where they work, but a lot of doctors are actually government employees and they're paid on salary, I believe. So in those cases, number of patients wouldn't matter.

Interesting (I'm in the US). I could see pros and cons to this. More incentive to keep you healthy so they only need to see you for checkups. But I wonder if it also might keep some doctors from taking new patients or targeting patients with more illness since seeing more patients or more visits doesn't generate more income.

In Canada also. I know the GP I had before this one wouldn't have taken me on if I'd been a smoker.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    When I was 265 every doctor I went to indicated that I needed to lose weight, my comorbidities were many. I am not sure I would want a doctor that did not address that. Mine still does after he sees the number because my BMI is never where it should be. Our company requires certain metrics to earn cheaper insurance premiums. If I want to pass on weight I have to do a bod pod to show fat percentage.
  • ree2lose
    ree2lose Posts: 33 Member
    I have never had a doctor NOT tell me to lose weight. Never offended though, my response was/is always "yeah I know...". This includes my primary doc, ob, neurologist and even my eye doctor lol
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I see a nephrologist every 3 months for my 17 year old kidney transplant(due to Alport Syndrome). A couple years ago, I put on 30 lbs between appointments due to the vicious cravings caused by zyprexa (for a mental health diagnosis that went away with increased sleep), and I didn't hear a peep out of my doctor. My blood pressure was also elevated, but he didn't even mention that. Fast-forward to the appointment after I lost the weight of my own volition, and he mentioned the weight loss:

Me: Why didn't you mention the incredibly fast gain?
    Neph: You're not really supposed to talk about a woman's weight.
    Me: ?!?!?!?!
    Me: You're a nephrologist! The top causes of kidney disease are high blood pressure and diabetes! We need you to talk about the stuff we'd rather ignore.

I've maintained my loss, so I don't know if he took our conversation to heart, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one concerned with how society is changing the role of doctors.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Has your doc ever suggested you lose weight? If so, were you offended?

I asked my doc if she ever suggested people lose weight, eat better, exercise more, etc. She said that her answer would be mostly "No." When I asked her why she explained that being a doctor is a business and if she would critique each patients weight, she is sure she would lose patients, especially the easily offended ones. She also said if the patient asks her opinion about their weight, should would gladly help them with a diet/exercise plan.

That's ridiculous. Weight is an indicator of health, and any good health care provider ought to be checking and recording weight, and recommending appropriate course of action if change is needed. That's how I got to be on MFP - doctor suggested I needed to lose a bit of weight, exercise more, and eat differently. This site is handy for tracking both food and activity, so here I am today.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Mine never commented on it when I was overweight. If anything, she used to comment that my blood sugar was a little high, but she never stated anything about my weight.

100 lbs lighter, and now she tells me that I'm a bit underweight and that I could stand to gain a few pounds. I just go "Nope! I've worked hard to get where I am! :) " and go on with my day.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    My doctor isn't so much concerned with my weight as he is with my waist circumference. He's happy with the fact that I've lost 70 lbs even though I've plateaued lately. And encourages me to keep active. I admit I don't want to complain about plateauing because he will just tell me to go keto again and I can't run or lift when I'm doing keto...

(Plateauing because rungry. Maybe moar exercise is the solution?)
  • saltlakecitywestsider
    saltlakecitywestsider Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2017
    The only doctor I ever go to is an optometrist. :D So no weight comments.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    But I'm the UK with the NHS, she doesn't care about losing my business because healthcare isn't for profit.

Although it's worth noting, for the benefit of the international audience that the GPs surgery is a privately owned body that sells services to the health service. The practice is paid based on the number of patients that they support, rather than per consultation.

If the GP is an equity partner in the practice that's somewhat different to being a salary partner.

All that said, in my experience my weight was mentioned as a contributor to high blood pressure. I've never been excessively heavy though, just mid range overweight. I'm quite fortunate that my current GP does contextualise in terms of healthy lifestyle, but that's very much in line with current guidance from Department of Health, which recognises at a policy level that prevention is more cost effective than treatment. It doesn't follow through into effective action though, but that's a more systemic issue.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    No, my doctor didn't suggest I lose weight. But when I brought it up, he has always at least made an effort to help me figure out what I need to do. More recently, he has started to tell me I don't have much more to lose (I know - it is just a few vanity lbs.); but when I have a more specific issue, he still tries to figure it out.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    The only doctor who mentioned my weight was my OB/GYN. I was seeing her for a prolapsed uterus. She mentioned that if I lost a bit of weight, the symptoms might be less pronounced. She also told me (when I was pregnant) that I needed to be more careful with how much I was gaining, however conceded that I was retaining a lot of water so as long as my test results continued to be good (they were), she wouldn't require me to diet/restrict calories.

My regular doctor remarked that she noticed that I had lost weight when I had dropped around 50 lbs (from 180 to 130), but I've mostly been in the "overweight" section of the chart, and not obese, so I think they don't say as much.

I'm in Canada, where doctors are also hard to get in to, so they're not worried about loss of income.

Aren't our doctors paid by the Government? Then it wouldn't matter at all if they lost a patient who got offended because that patient causes no effect on their income.

Are they paid a flat salary regardless of number of patients?

I just googled and I think it depends on where they work, but a lot of doctors are actually government employees and they're paid on salary, I believe. So in those cases, number of patients wouldn't matter.

Interesting (I'm in the US). I could see pros and cons to this. More incentive to keep you healthy so they only need to see you for checkups. But I wonder if it also might keep some doctors from taking new patients or targeting patients with more illness since seeing more patients or more visits doesn't generate more income.

I live in Canada in a place with a doctor shortage problem (doctors make significantly less money here) and there is not a single doctor that isn't overloaded with patients. Their patient load is insane.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    No, He never brought it up when I was obese, but jumped at the chance to help me when I expressed interest in change.

Husband and I have the same doctor and oddly enough, GP brings up husbands weight at every appointment. He is always bringing home pamphlets on heart health, proper eating and offers to set him up with a dietitian appointment.

I assumed it was because they are both male and therefore more comfortable talking about it?
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    The only time it had been mentioned is when my weight dropped between visits (these were 6 months apart mind so it wasn't like a massive amount in a few weeks) and she told me to be careful not to lose more