Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Replies

• bingo_007bingo_007 Posts: 101Member Member Posts: 101Member Member
    It probably depends where you live. My experience in Asia and Europe shows that doctors would talk about weight. I know that from my family members that are a bit overweight n the doc recommends to loose. One of my family members that is obese had this topic discussed with several doctors n I think its the doctors responsibility to do so.
  • 76Crane7676Crane76 Posts: 113Member Member Posts: 113Member Member
    Well the last nurse practitioner I saw asked if I would "like to see the nutritionist?" I did not bring up my weight, I was there for plantar fasciitis.
    I would have liked her to read the notes for the past 3 months that I had been in to the MD monthly regarding my weight and had lost 30 lbs.
  • RedSierraRedSierra Posts: 253Member Member Posts: 253Member Member
    Has your doc ever suggested you lose weight? If so, were you offended?

I asked my doc if she ever suggested people lose weight, eat better, exercise more, etc. She said that her answer would be mostly "No." When I asked her why she explained that being a doctor is a business and if she would critique each patients weight, she is sure she would lose patients, especially the easily offended ones. She also said if the patient asks her opinion about their weight, should would gladly help them with a diet/exercise plan.

I understand what your doctor was saying, but she also isn't doing her job.

My doctor didn't suggest I lose weight, but he said I was at high risk of a heart attack or stroke and wanted to put me on meds for high cholesterol and high blood pressure. That woke me up fast. I lost the weight. Then he piled on the praise. He's overweight himself and so are half the nurses.
  • PsychgrrlPsychgrrl Posts: 2,648Member Member Posts: 2,648Member Member
    mamadon wrote: »
    He never mentioned it at all when I was fat, and that was for almost twenty years. He mentioned it a lot as I lost weight.

Mine, too! The first mention she ever made of my weight was "You're at a very healthy BMI." Not a peep when I was 115+ pounds (an entire me) heavier.
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,092Member Member Posts: 7,092Member Member
    Has your doc ever suggested you lose weight? If so, were you offended?

I asked my doc if she ever suggested people lose weight, eat better, exercise more, etc. She said that her answer would be mostly "No." When I asked her why she explained that being a doctor is a business and if she would critique each patients weight, she is sure she would lose patients, especially the easily offended ones. She also said if the patient asks her opinion about their weight, should would gladly help them with a diet/exercise plan.

Her reply does make sense. Weigh is not typically mentioned by my doctor but it was on my annual last month but only because it was the same down to the ounce as last year.
  • lolliemonstalolliemonsta Posts: 8Member Member Posts: 8Member Member
    I was in two car accidents in the same year and as a result of the injuries, not being able to physically do as much, and the medication I put on a lot of weight. The medication was a lot to do with it. putting on two kilos a week and barely eating anything. When I was able to reduce the medication, I couldn't lose the weight no matter how hard I tried, and it's not like I was a stranger to that. I'd previously lost 20 kilos before the accidents. Doctor pretty much didn't believe me and just said "exercise more". The next time I mentioned my weight he said I should get gastric sleeve surgery. I said there's no way I can afford that I'm a student. He told me to go on health insurance and then wait the 1 year waiting period and get the surgery. He pretty much said if I wasn't going to get the surgery there's nothing more he can say except exercise.
    I mentioned this to a different doctor (no I didn't just go to another doctor, I have different doctors for my injuries and my crohn's disease) and given her the backstory and she was gobsmacked. I've worked with her to reset myself after the massive amounts of medication I was taking for the injuries and have been able to reduce them further as well as lose 12 kilos so far.
    I talked to someone else who saw the same doctor I used to see and was told that he recommended sleeve surgery to her as well. Makes me wonder if he gets commission from his recommendations because according to him, there's no other option than the surgery >:(
  • lemurcat12lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886Member Member Posts: 30,886Member Member
    Yes, and no I was not offended, I was aware of the issue already, though, and was already working on weight loss. We had a nice chat about it. She always does comment -- she considers it part of her responsibility as a doctor.
  • marelthumarelthu Posts: 184Member Member Posts: 184Member Member
    My doctor said she doesn't believe in diets, that they don't work, which I agree with, but if I could lose even 20 lbs it would be much better for me. I haven't seen her since I lost 69 lbs so I think she'll be pleased with that.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 26,524Member Member Posts: 26,524Member Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Nope and it's irritating as well as sad. We have arrived in an era where it's better to let people kill themselves than chance losing customers because of the easily offended mouth breathers.

Odd, from talking to my doctor and talking to friends who have heard their doctor talk about weight and such, seems like it's really common around here for doctors to raise the issue (my doctor says that she thinks it's a medical obligation), so I think your generalization that doctors don't is off-base, or at least a major over-generalization.

..and yet, just as uncommon where I live.
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 6,932Member Member Posts: 6,932Member Member
    My doctor does, but I started seeing her at the same time I started losing so my progress has always been part of each visit. When I had a setback last year, she commented but it was encouraging, not hectoring. She is my biggest cheerleader.

My previous doctor would mention it but sort of in passing. I went to a gyn one time who started lecturing me. I stopped him with "Excuse me, have you even looked at my medical history? If you had, you would see I have lost over 50 lb in the last few months". Never went back to him, not because of the lecturing but because he never paid attention to things he should have.