Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

1161718192022»

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,879 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    lois1231 wrote: »
    Not only that they set the scales to weigh you 5 or 10 pounds heavier.

That's probably just the effect of clothing, stomach and intestine contents, etc if you normally weigh yourself in the AM unclothed.

At my dr's office the scale is in a hallway off the waiting room and you're visible to anyone sitting there so you're weighed (by the receptionist) clothed. Including outerwear and footwear. In winter here that can add a lot. One time the number on the scale was considerably more than I expected and I was puzzled why my clothes weren't fitting differently if I'd gained so much. Then I realized I was still carrying my purse. Put that down and lost 8 lbs instantly. :D

Haha, yeah. Even in the hallway, I always kick off my shoes and I wear the lightest clothing I can to the doctor’s office. I think the nurse thinks I’m nuts.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,002 Member
    when I am weighing people at work, I do round it down to then nearest kg under, rather than up .
    if you take your shoes off, most regular clothing weighs less than a kilogram

it is sometimes funny watching people take everything - keys, wallet, phone - out of their pocket that they think will weigh them down.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,430 Member
    if you take your shoes off, most regular clothing weighs less than a kilogram

it is sometimes funny watching people take everything - keys, wallet, phone - out of their pocket that they think will weigh them down.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had to go to Urgent Care while on duty (LEO). When the nurse asked me to step on the scale I just kinda looked at her for a second like...seriously? And then she laughed; she'd just been on auto-pilot when she asked, cause I'm wearing >20 pounds of gear (ballistic vest, duty belt), boots, etc...I told her I weighed myself daily and just gave her that day's weight rounded up to account for food/hydration since I'd woken up that morning. :D

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,299 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    lois1231 wrote: »
    Not only that they set the scales to weigh you 5 or 10 pounds heavier.

That's probably just the effect of clothing, stomach and intestine contents, etc if you normally weigh yourself in the AM unclothed.

At my dr's office the scale is in a hallway off the waiting room and you're visible to anyone sitting there so you're weighed (by the receptionist) clothed. Including outerwear and footwear. In winter here that can add a lot. One time the number on the scale was considerably more than I expected and I was puzzled why my clothes weren't fitting differently if I'd gained so much. Then I realized I was still carrying my purse. Put that down and lost 8 lbs instantly. :D

Haha, yeah. Even in the hallway, I always kick off my shoes and I wear the lightest clothing I can to the doctor’s office. I think the nurse thinks I’m nuts.

This was a weird setup because the receptionist did your weight on the way to the exam room so you didn't have an opportunity to take off your coat or anything, and there was nowhere to set stuff down in the hallway. In winter my weight was me plus boots, long heavy coat, winter-weight suit, sweater, scarf and gloves because there was no option other than wearing it or putting it on a filthy floor.