Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Options

Replies

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression through Covid. I put on 25 pounds and I was already overweight BEFORE the 25 pounds more.

I talked to my doctor about my mood several times and my weight. She finally told me to destress and gave me a pre-printed pamphlet on portion control. She never brought either up again or followed up with me on either. I put on 10 more pounds.

She constantly pushes me to get a colonoscopy even though I have no family history and no issues. My chances of colon cancer with no family history and no symptoms is 3-7%. It's not a horrible idea, but she ignores things that really worry me. My chance of long-term heart and kidney issues from the weight problem AND a family history of genetic high blood pressure...is a heck of a lot higher than 3%.

And switching doctors doesn't really help--the last two were the same.

So even if you bring up your weight, you may not get any help.
    The same with depression.

It's frustrating. If you have a good doctor, hang onto them.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,907 Member
    Options
    I agree totally. Doctors hounded me and hounded me about colonoscopy. I said no, but I'd do Cologard. I've been seeing the same dr. for a year. She finally agreed. Did it. Peace. Still hounding me about blood pressure. Average at home is 114/70, but have some serious white coat.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @loulee997 I understand the frustration and the difficulty of your situation, believe me. Out of curiosity what kind of help are you looking for? I ask because, from what I understand, doctors aren’t really experts on weight loss, although they should know how to provide a source for you to receive help. Can you call and ask for a referral to a dietitian? If they’re still not helpful, I would look into some in your area with great reviews. I think working closely with a dietician and psychologist might be the most effective. I’m sorry you’re being ignored, you deserve so much better than that.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    @loulee997 If you’re in the US, many insurance companies do not require a referral from your doctor to see a mental health therapist. Search for ‘counselors’ or ‘psychologists’ or ‘behavioral healthcare’ on your insurance company’s website for an in-network provider. Then, see if any of the therapists have a website and find out more information about the services they offer. Also, if you don’t have insurance or have difficulty paying due to a high deductible or other, check out local non-profits that offer a food pantry/job training/etc. They may offer free counseling or know if therapists that do. Don’t think that it is just in the larger cities, it is true for my (very) rural area.

• loulee997
    Options
    @loulee997 If you’re in the US, many insurance companies do not require a referral from your doctor to see a mental health therapist. Search for ‘counselors’ or ‘psychologists’ or ‘behavioral healthcare’ on your insurance company’s website for an in-network provider. Then, see if any of the therapists have a website and find out more information about the services they offer. Also, if you don’t have insurance or have difficulty paying due to a high deductible or other, check out local non-profits that offer a food pantry/job training/etc. They may offer free counseling or know if therapists that do. Don’t think that it is just in the larger cities, it is true for my (very) rural area.

Counselors and psychologists cannot prescribe meds. in my area, most are family therapists, drug therapists, or pastoral. I went thru two or three until I found a decent one. She is an okay therapist--although she also agrees that I have a chemical imbalance and need meds. She said 'talk to my GP'. She wrote my GP a letter. I got brochures on meditation from my GP. I finally hired a prescribing psychiatric nurse online and she works with my therapist. It costs a lot out of pocket, but it's working.

I used to try to get a better GP--but Kentucky is a pain.

No worries, I found a way around it. But they made it so much harder than it needed to be. I'm in an okay place. I'm lucky I could afford to pay for the prescribing therapist and the cost difference on the regular therapist. And my GP office visit costs. Health care ---what can you do...

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    @loulee997 I understand the frustration and the difficulty of your situation, believe me. Out of curiosity what kind of help are you looking for? I ask because, from what I understand, doctors aren’t really experts on weight loss, although they should know how to provide a source for you to receive help. Can you call and ask for a referral to a dietitian? If they’re still not helpful, I would look into some in your area with great reviews. I think working closely with a dietician and psychologist might be the most effective. I’m sorry you’re being ignored, you deserve so much better than that.

It was more a combination of depression and weight gain. I was hoping to get a mild anti-depressant to just help me through a dark time in my life. I was also hoping if I got the crying and mood swings under control, I could get back to exercise and control my food intake. Since I also have a family history of thyroid disease and auto-immune--I also wanted to be sure it was tied to something physical. The year before, I went through six months when my hair was falling out by the handful. She wasn't helpful with any of these issues. My hair was falling out. My scalp couldn't be touched it was so painful. She told me it was stress. Ugh. Doctors.

I tried the therapist route. I needed meds. Most of the therapists in my area are psychologists, counselors, or social workers. They can't prescribe meds. So therapist told me meds and to talk to my GP. My GP tells me to meditate.

Now I pay out of pocket for an online prescribing psychiatric nurse to work with my therapist and get me the meds I need. Insurance will cover (partially) 12 visits a year to a therapist. It will not cover both a therapist and a prescribing person for therapy. We are still working on dose--so once that is right, I will only have to pay for the prescriber every 3 months instead of monthly.

It's a couple of extra $100s a month that I really don't want to spend.

I'm doing better. It was just more work than I needed it to be. I was really struggling and they made it so much harder.

T

Okay, this makes perfect sense! Obviously not making recommendations for you specifically but Wellbutrin has been the most helpful in dealing with my “stuff” and the concurrent weight concerns. Might be a worthwhile conversation if it hasn’t been already? Sometimes medication is the answer when nothing else helps. Dr. Says is great resource I’ve used for years! Hopefully you get some other options, but I wanted to provide what’s working for me.
  • loulee997
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »

It was more a combination of depression and weight gain. I was hoping to get a mild anti-depressant to just help me through a dark time in my life. I was also hoping if I got the crying and mood swings under control, I could get back to exercise and control my food intake. Since I also have a family history of thyroid disease and auto-immune--I also wanted to be sure it was tied to something physical. The year before, I went through six months when my hair was falling out by the handful. She wasn't helpful with any of these issues. My hair was falling out. My scalp couldn't be touched it was so painful. She told me it was stress. Ugh. Doctors.

I tried the therapist route. I needed meds. Most of the therapists in my area are psychologists, counselors, or social workers. They can't prescribe meds. So therapist told me meds and to talk to my GP. My GP tells me to meditate.

Now I pay out of pocket for an online prescribing psychiatric nurse to work with my therapist and get me the meds I need. Insurance will cover (partially) 12 visits a year to a therapist. It will not cover both a therapist and a prescribing person for therapy. We are still working on dose--so once that is right, I will only have to pay for the prescriber every 3 months instead of monthly.

It's a couple of extra $100s a month that I really don't want to spend.

I'm doing better. It was just more work than I needed it to be. I was really struggling and they made it so much harder.

T

Okay, this makes perfect sense! Obviously not making recommendations for you specifically but Wellbutrin has been the most helpful in dealing with my “stuff” and the concurrent weight concerns. Might be a worthwhile conversation if it hasn’t been already? Sometimes medication is the answer when nothing else helps. Dr. Says is a great resource I’ve used for years! Hopefully, you get some other options, but I wanted to provide what’s working for me.

It was one of the first ones I tried. I had a horrible reaction to Wellbutrin--both versions. It made me sleep 22 hours and made me super irritable. For most people, Wellbutrin gives you focus and energy. For me, it made me exhausted and extremely irritable. Finally was diagnosed with moderate chronic depression and adult ADHD. Taking a low dose of ADHD meds has helped with a lot of the symptoms. We're still working on finding the right depression meds.

But I'm doing better. All my sisters and half my nieces/nephews are on anti-depressants. Genetic.

• SweeetNSourrr30
    SweeetNSourrr30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my Dr (pediatric) would always comment on my weight at every visit. I remember being so sensitive to talk to her about it and would even get emotional at times.

The moment I got older and transitioned to a new dr from then on they never talked or even mentioned anything about my weight. Even up to this day I still have this mindset with how my Dr is going to bring up the weight topic because of my experience as a kid.
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The only doctor that commented on my weight was when I was at a community college. I got annoyed with her because I had already lost 15kg and was halfway to a healthy weight. I guess she hadn't met me before. I've been much heavier since and they only talk about my weight if I mention it first (I think).
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,907 Member
    Options
    Went to the Dr. Today. She still didn't mention my 45 pound weight loss, but the nurse did notice that another Dr.'s office listed my height as 5'8", not 5'10" like they had listed. She asked how tall I am. I told her 5'8". We'll see if she changes it.
  • E43V15C
    E43V15C Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    I think society as a whole has lost its bearings around food/weight and needs to recollect itself- give it time- maybe one day professional weight opinions will make sense/be based in reality- maybe not, I'm not going to hold my breath- don't use them as a weapon against yourself if you're that way inclined- they're not trauma informed- they don't really have our interests at heart- they're short w/ people so be discerning
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

I think " proffesional weight opinions" are based on reality ( ie sensible evidenced guidelines) and do make sense.
    And I do think your doctor has your best interests at heart.

Whether they are short with people depends on their personal style - obviously medical profesional are human and have human variation, like everyone else.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    E43V15C wrote: »
    I think society as a whole has lost its bearings around food/weight and needs to recollect itself- give it time- maybe one day professional weight opinions will make sense/be based in reality- maybe not, I'm not going to hold my breath- don't use them as a weapon against yourself if you're that way inclined- they're not trauma informed- they don't really have our interests at heart- they're short w/ people so be discerning

What "weight opinions will be based in reality" Don't you think weight ranges/classifications are reasonable?
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    edited February 9
    Options
    one of my big "Dad" speeches to my son was this

You will find very few people in life who truly love you and show you love. These are people like your mom and I and some of the very special friends and family members to whom you are close. There will not be many like this. On the other hand, you will encounter truly evil people who will go out of their way to make you their victim in one way or another. Thankfully, you'll encounter very few of these as well. To the other 99.999% of the world....YOU DON'T MATTER!! They may not seek to harm you, but they won't go out of their way to help you unless there is something in it for them.

I've found these percentages to be pretty true in real life. Of the pastors, and business owners, cops, teachers....and yes doctors....there are some good ones..some really evil ones....and the vast majority who will do nothing for you unless compelled to do so.

The only one looking out for my health is me. It helps to remember that 1/2 the doctors out there are below average. :D