Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    To answer the OP, no they don’t. I’m in the range where they’re not too concerned.
    I had a minor outpatient surgery on Wednesday. A junior "Resident" was going to do it, right beforehand a senior "Attending" physician walked in to verify the setup. He said to me "You are a big one." before he started talking to the Jr. physician on how to slice me open.

This is what I mean. There’s no reason to ever treat someone like an object. I’m sorry that happened to you, even a little mad tbh.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    Lastly, don’t ask a plumber to do an electricians job ie a medical doctor to be your therapist. That’s not fair. Seek the guidance of a professional that is qualified. Doctors are not “God”.
    This is what I mean. There’s no reason to ever treat someone like an object.

Hmmm.... Well, TBH, I am sort of sorry for Chris having to put up with the comment. But. BUT. remembering your plumber and electrician. Not all doctors are equal!

If I have a choice of a great surgeon WITH bedside manners vs a great surgeon WITHOUT, sure I would pick the one WITH. HOWEVER, If I have the choice of a good surgeon WITH bedside manner vs a great surgeon WITHOUT, I am not so sure that I wouldn't go WITHOUT :wink:

And I hope that Chris is recovering well!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that a lot of us attach our value to our appearance ie if we’re fat we’re somehow not worthy. And advertising or how we are treated in some parts of society etc can certainly reinforce that. But being fat - or being too thin - does actually have health repercussions. As does too little exercise. Those aren’t value judgements and should absolutely have nothing to do with our self worth. But as they have health implications, I do think doctors should raise them (same as drinking and smoking). The issue comes when it’s handled badly or when other conditions are ignored because a doctor just assumes you need to lose weight / stop smoking / stop having hormones…!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The issue comes when it’s handled badly or when other conditions are ignored because a doctor just assumes you need to lose weight / stop smoking / stop having hormones…!

I bet so many people relate with this. So true and frustrating! Really well said.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The issue comes when it’s handled badly or when other conditions are ignored because a doctor just assumes you need to lose weight / stop smoking / stop having hormones…!

I bet so many people relate with this. So true and frustrating! Really well said.

Complete agreement.
    Yes some doctors are amazing.

But not all of them. And when you’re a member of a marginalized group the potential of having a doctor who is especially (redacted) to you is definitely higher.

I’ve had some whoppers of bad medical professionals. Some because of my weight, some because of my (at the time) very low income. And, although it’s rarer now, a few absolute stinkers who looked down on their female patients.

And, though I have always appreciated my current physician, she’s been my physician for over a decade. At first her attitude was OK, but fairly dismissive. Which I was used to from doctors so it didn’t really stand out. But now that I’ve lost so much weight her attitude is MUCH better.
    And the only thing that has changed about me is my weight loss….

So ya. Doctors are human.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    And I hope that Chris is recovering well!
    Thanks. I have had my stitches out for almost three weeks. It's 100%. I never stopped running. But I quit going to my yoga class. I really should have gone two weekends ago, and definitely should have gone last weekend. I'm just a locked down creature of momentum and entropy. I pray the great driver of things gets my behind to class this upcoming weekend.