Low calories or low carbs..what worked better for you?

Options

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    For me I chose to reduce my calories to a managable level by doing low carb. It is not "low calorie" but the correct calorie amount I should be eating. I have been in maitenance since May and continue to eat the same way. YMMV. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I lost my excess weight via a calorie deficit. I've maintained my weight for 3 years via eating the proper amount of calories for my level of activity. All the while it has been via varying levels of low carbohydrate intake. That is what works for me. YMMV.
  • flirtingwithforty
    Options
    Trying a moderate-carb diet (between 60-80 grams per day) for 3 weeks helped me figure out where I was "wasting" calories. As someone who eats a mostly plant-based diet, it wasn't sustainable for me. But I now have a much better understanding of some pitfalls I can easily avoid and feel better moving forward with my goals.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense..

This says "fasting is keto". You did say that. And that is what I responded to as false information.

I will take the fact that you now say you didn't make that claim that you must have mistyped and didn't mean it as it read.

I'm not keto either. I love my dried fruit too much for that. I do think it works great for some though. I personally feel best at around 100g net carbs and my only food eliminations are based around allergies. It's important that everyone find what works for them. And again, I am just bothered by all of the and keto posts about how it eliminates veggies 100% or you have to starve yourself on that plan. Without accurate info the people it could work for might not find it.

Just a quick observation. I find that you mention the spreading of misinformation about what constitutes Keto interesting. Not that this does not happen, but let's get real here; can you name me another subset of the dieting and fitness world that routinely spews more rank nonsense than the Keto crowd? I can't think of any offhand. This makes it far more difficult for many people to take them seriously, and even more difficult to have much pity for people mischaracterizing their plans.

The HCLF vegans/Raw til 4 people often give the keto crowd a run for their money in this regard.

You have a point there.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    yeah, well, a lot of people misuse the low carb theory, it isn't carte blanche to pig out on thousands of calories of mayo and butter; the true answer probably sits somewhere in the middle, being cautious with starchy carby foods and ensuring you don't overdo the calories or consider anything a "free food". Not a very exciting answer I suppose, but diet variety and moderation is probably key.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic I can only handle about 45g of carbs at a meal. However, in practice I've found that I have fewer cravings if I avoid added sugars and white bread, which seem to knock my blood sugar around more than other foods, even when eaten as part of a meal. Different diabetics respond to the same foods differently - some can't handle fruit and potatoes, which are no problem for me.

Since two diabetics will have completely unique blood glucose responses to the same exact food, it seems likely that healthy people - who haven't been studied nearly as much - would vary in which foods made them feel cravings as well. If restricting carbs is easy for you and works to help you keep yourself in a deficit then do that - if it seems unreasonably difficult, don't do it.

By the way, AnvilHead is absolutely right that protein and fat also trigger a rise in insulin levels, although they don't raise blood glucose levels in the same way carbs do.

Fat does not actually cause insulin release. Protein does - usually about half as much as carbs can.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    First, I think the majority of the animosity is towards people who say things like "CICO doesn't work for me so I do Keto".

Secondly, I think there are a lot of people who come here and say, "Gosh I'm really suffering with this Keto diet" I think people probably go overboard in making it clear that there is no magic recipe for the Keto diet. As you said, it's a ways to a means and for some people it can be a sustainable way to maintain a deficit. For others it is unsustainable.

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I could be wrong but I think the "20 grams or less" figure is stated because it's pretty much a guarantee that if you eat that or less you will be in ketosis. Since it's such an individual thing and a lot of keto folk are dealing with IR and diabetes its become "the" number. Testing for it to find your personal sweet spot level is pretty expensive so it's a way to "be sure" so to speak.

I've been lucky enough to be able to figure out just from how my body feels if I am in or out and I can usually be ok with 35g NET as long as that was veggies and fruits.
  • ianisha
    ianisha Posts: 18 Member
    Options

JustRobby1 wrote: »
    ianisha wrote: »
    No, they eat huge steaks, lots of cheese and butter

And I have some oceanfront property in Kansas that might interest you.

You wish
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense..

This says "fasting is keto". You did say that. And that is what I responded to as false information.

I will take the fact that you now say you didn't make that claim that you must have mistyped and didn't mean it as it read.

I'm not keto either. I love my dried fruit too much for that. I do think it works great for some though. I personally feel best at around 100g net carbs and my only food eliminations are based around allergies. It's important that everyone find what works for them. And again, I am just bothered by all of the and keto posts about how it eliminates veggies 100% or you have to starve yourself on that plan. Without accurate info the people it could work for might not find it.

There seems to be a miscommunication or an error in semantics, which is now a logic problem, not a dietary one.

- Fasting (an extended period of no caloric intake) is indeed ketogenic (produces ketones). That statement is true.
    - "Ketogenesis is indeed fasting." That statement is not true.

Get it?

If I were to say:

- "SCoil123 is a MFP user." That is true.
    - "All MFP users are SCoil123" is a false statement.

The rest of it, we're in agreement. Anyone that needs purports eliminating an entire macro, or food entirely, is optimal for overall health is missing the forest for the trees. I eat low carb/keto most of the time simply out of food preference and glucose management, but I adhere to the foundation of nutrition science.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Keto dieters can hit their daily intake of calories and if they're at a deficit, they will lose body fat. If they eat at maintenance, their net energy stores are in balance. If they eat at a surplus, they will store energy in the form of fat...

Which is 100% no different from what happens with any macro combination one chooses to subsist upon.

And exactly my point with it. Keto isn't magic.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ianisha wrote: »
    Need to know results from people who tried them.

For weight loss.....both have worked because both reduced my calories. It's always about calories.

But, low carb gave me zero tools.....nothing for maintenance because I didn't plan on eating that way at goal.

Find a strategy that works well for weight loss AND weight maintenance. Far too many people take maintenance for grated. That too takes work.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I do both. I restrict my carbs to 50-75 per day because I'm pre-diabetic. I use CICO for weight loss.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I personally found I didn't need to watch my carbs just my calories and make sure I hit my protein goals, protein helps for satiety and retaining muscle but carbs aren't the enemy (even the odd processed carb snack/meal if it fits in my cals although to tell the truth complex carbs, good fats and protein do keep me fuller longer so I understand why people try to cut out refined carbs)

At the end of the day do what works for you, if you find you are losing on high protein low carbs (although remember you'll get an initial water loss which isn't fat loss that people enjoy when they first do keto and think "woo immediate results!") do it. But if like me it's too restrictive and knackers your digestion/breathe/energy levels just restrict cals personally I find it's sooooo much easier and you can still try to do high protein. :)