Low calories or low carbs..what worked better for you?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    mhazelip wrote: »

Great. So Calories In vs Calories Out rules all. But wait a minute...what about all of the studies/reports that show giving the same calories and same exercise programs to a study population caused wildly different weight gain and loss? Oh drat!

Please post a link to at least one of these studies. I'm not trolling or trying to lure you into anything, I honestly have not heard of experiments that gave a group of people exactly the same food.
  • HOKA36
    HOKA36 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Carbs all day, better fuel for endurance
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I have used both methods. I found it hard to hit my calorie intake. I was either way under or way over. Also, I was not able to concentrate on macros while trying to hit my calorie count. If I didn't take in enough calories over a period of time, the weight came back when I started to gain calories again.

I have been counting carbs and watching my macros now and have seen much better results. A low-carb diet equals your body regulating itself and burning what it should/needs to stay balanced.

If I had to vote, I would say low carb.

In your first example, you weren't carefully tracking macros, and therefore it didn't work. In the second, you tracked them carefully, and therefore it worked.

I think regardless of carbs, you could have seen results because you carefully tracked them.

If anything, being low carb helped you be mindful of what macros are, but it's more education and mindfulness that allowed success. Either way, the good thing is that you're now aware that macros are where calories are calculated from, and eating less of one (carbs) led to a calorie deficit.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Lowering my calories by lowering my carbs, and a little bit lowering fat.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you have no carbs and your calories are below maintenance you will lose weight

If you have no carbs and your calories are at maintenance your weight will stay the same

If you have no carbs and calories are above maintenance you will gain weight

If you eat all carbs and your calories are below maintenance you will lose weight

If you eat all carbs and your calories are at maintenance your weight will stay the same

If you eat all carbs and your calories are above maintenance you will gain weight

There are all types of diet methodologies and they all have their pros and cons. My advice would be to research and experiment to find the one that works best for you.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you have no carbs and your calories are below maintenance you will lose weight

If you have no carbs and your calories are at maintenance your weight will stay the same

If you have no carbs and calories are above maintenance you will gain weight

If you eat all carbs and your calories are below maintenance you will lose weight

If you eat all carbs and your calories are at maintenance your weight will stay the same

If you eat all carbs and your calories are above maintenance you will gain weight

There are all types of diet methodologies and they all have their pros and cons. My advice would be to research and experiment to find the one that works best for you.
    If you eat "all carbs" long enough, you will rapidly lose weight due to decomposition.
  • ianisha
    ianisha Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thx everybody for responding
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @ianisha
    Lol...I definitely wasn't recommending an all carb diet

• ianisha
    ianisha Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @ianisha
    Lol...I definitely wasn't recommending an all carb diet

lol I didn't say that you were
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I get about 50% of my calories from carbs but not starches. Mostly all fruit and vegetables. I love lettuce, tomato, and zucchini