Do you believe it is ALL just CICO?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Well, when it comes to a nutrition/calorie perspective, sure.

But then there's water weight, which doesn't seem to follow CICO rules. So you may do everything right, but if you're not drinking enough, if you suddenly up your water intake *because* you're not drinking enough, if you start a new exercise program, if you travel for some time, if you eat higher sodium foods than usual, if you're stressed and your cortisol production increases, if you're female and you get a period, if you're female and you are ovulating at that time, if you're female and you've got oligomenorrhea and you only get a period sometimes, if you've done a marathon and your body is crying out for every drop of water it can get...

And then, if you've got several of those going on back to back over a multi-month period? Then you can't even necessarily compare a month-to-month trend and see a loss.

So sure, you might eat everything in a deficit, but that doesn't mean your body is going to reward you with weight loss that you can see on the scale.

And people like to say that water weight doesn't matter. But what about when that water weight is bouncing around for months on end? Does it suddenly matter then?

But it's not like water weight keeps going up and up and up, if you're losing fat but retaining water, you should still be seeing a drop on the scale
    Not necessarily true. My weight is within four pounds of where I was a year ago. I've been in a consistent deficit for that time. Everything is weighed before I eat it. I actively avoid most restaurants because I don't trust their food.

I've also dropped four inches off my chest and my hips each in that time (three inches off my thighs, and two off my arms), and had a serious Come to Jesus talk from my therapist about how she thinks (and considering she's an ED therapist, I trust her perception) that I look like I've lost more than I agreed the bottom number was. My best friend (and her mother) and my parents are on my case and telling me that I look emaciated in some settings.

But my weight is the same. It's been infuriatingly stable since I ran my first half marathon in May. Since then, I've seen some drops, and then as soon as I do another endurance event, it spikes again.

So where's that drop on the scale?

Maybe I'm a freak of nature. But I've simply stopped believing that the only thing that influences the number on the scale is CICO.
    seska422 wrote: »
    I don't think you are a freak of nature. It sounds like you've recomped and now have more muscle and less body fat than you used to have. That muscle takes up less volume so you look smaller at about the same weight.

Another vote for recomp as the likely explanation.

If one looks and feels good at a weight, who cares about the number on the scale?

This woman wasn't happy with her body when she got to her goal weight, so she recomped. Notice how much heavier she is in the picture on the right than the middle picture.

hi836sho0hv7.jpg
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If all you want to do is lose weight, CICO is the majority factor. Overall health, and fitness on the other hand, for some people is even more important than the weight on the scale and that is where exercise and a focus on macro-nutrients can pay huge dividends.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well, when it comes to a nutrition/calorie perspective, sure.

But then there's water weight, which doesn't seem to follow CICO rules. So you may do everything right, but if you're not drinking enough, if you suddenly up your water intake *because* you're not drinking enough, if you start a new exercise program, if you travel for some time, if you eat higher sodium foods than usual, if you're stressed and your cortisol production increases, if you're female and you get a period, if you're female and you are ovulating at that time, if you're female and you've got oligomenorrhea and you only get a period sometimes, if you've done a marathon and your body is crying out for every drop of water it can get...

And then, if you've got several of those going on back to back over a multi-month period? Then you can't even necessarily compare a month-to-month trend and see a loss.

So sure, you might eat everything in a deficit, but that doesn't mean your body is going to reward you with weight loss that you can see on the scale.

And people like to say that water weight doesn't matter. But what about when that water weight is bouncing around for months on end? Does it suddenly matter then?

But it's not like water weight keeps going up and up and up, if you're losing fat but retaining water, you should still be seeing a drop on the scale
    Not necessarily true. My weight is within four pounds of where I was a year ago. I've been in a consistent deficit for that time. Everything is weighed before I eat it. I actively avoid most restaurants because I don't trust their food.

I've also dropped four inches off my chest and my hips each in that time (three inches off my thighs, and two off my arms), and had a serious Come to Jesus talk from my therapist about how she thinks (and considering she's an ED therapist, I trust her perception) that I look like I've lost more than I agreed the bottom number was. My best friend (and her mother) and my parents are on my case and telling me that I look emaciated in some settings.

But my weight is the same. It's been infuriatingly stable since I ran my first half marathon in May. Since then, I've seen some drops, and then as soon as I do another endurance event, it spikes again.

So where's that drop on the scale?

Maybe I'm a freak of nature. But I've simply stopped believing that the only thing that influences the number on the scale is CICO.
    seska422 wrote: »
    I don't think you are a freak of nature. It sounds like you've recomped and now have more muscle and less body fat than you used to have. That muscle takes up less volume so you look smaller at about the same weight.

Another vote for recomp as the likely explanation.

If one looks and feels good at a weight, who cares about the number on the scale?

This woman wasn't happy with her body when she got to her goal weight, so she recomped. Notice how much heavier she is in the picture on the right than the middle picture.

hi836sho0hv7.jpg

The photo on the right does not show this woman 18 lb. heavier than the photo in the middle. Look again. Start with her legs.

what?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    CICO, yes. Easy or simple? No, not at all.

You see determining CI is not trivial and subject to error no matter how careful you are. AND determining CO is really only a guess. You can start with MFP estimate or an online calorie calculator estimate. If you are lucky, they will be close to your actual CO. But these are estimates for the average person with your height, age, sex, activity level and weight. How far your particular CO may differ from these estimates is unclear and often debated.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You asked a simple question. I will just answer the question. Yes.