Do you believe it is ALL just CICO?

Options
12346»

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You know why CICO works? The conservation of energy, a fundamental principle of physics. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. If your body burns a certain amount of energy, and the energy content of your food is less, your body must make up for that some how. Luckily, your body has ways of converting fat and muscle into energy to make up the difference.

When people perceive CICO not working it is because they do not either correctly calculate their calories consumed or calories burned. Both are rife for error.

Should we blindly ignore the type of food we eat and only focus on calories? Probably not, still need enough vitamins and minerals to have a healthy body and we might feel hungry all the time if we ate nothing but certain foods that are not filling.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Wow, are people arguing for the sake of argument? Let's put on the tinfoil hat for a second...

Let's assume the professor lied about every single thing... How does that invalidate the fact that all is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit, which has been repeatedly proven by science and by thousands of people in practice?

Let's assume the woman in the picture lied about everything... How does that invalidate that recomp exists, which has been proven by science and thousands of people in practice?

Because there's no reason to make up stuff to prove a point, other than to make your sponsor (Coca Cola) happy.

And it sends the wrong message because it does not discuss satiety, THE most important factor to determination if a person will succeed when dieting, whether they count calories or they don't.

Sorry, but a Twinkie (like a Coke) is high calorie junk that provides no satiety.

1800 calories/150 calories/Twinkie = 12 Twinkies a day for an extended period. Come on.

As for the woman, I have no idea why she made that up.

I can easily go for half a day on a pop tart.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow, are people arguing for the sake of argument? Let's put on the tinfoil hat for a second...

Let's assume the professor lied about every single thing... How does that invalidate the fact that all is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit, which has been repeatedly proven by science and by thousands of people in practice?

Let's assume the woman in the picture lied about everything... How does that invalidate that recomp exists, which has been proven by science and thousands of people in practice?

Because there's no reason to make up stuff to prove a point, other than to make your sponsor (Coca Cola) happy.

And it sends the wrong message because it does not discuss satiety, THE most important factor to determination if a person will succeed when dieting, whether they count calories or they don't.

Sorry, but a Twinkie (like a Coke) is high calorie junk that provides no satiety.

1800 calories/150 calories/Twinkie = 12 Twinkies a day for an extended period. Come on.

As for the woman, I have no idea why she made that up.

I can easily go for half a day on a pop tart.

I could too! High five!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    The equation of calories in to calories out is all that is necessary for weight change. For loss, intake needs to be less than output. Balance is required for maintenance. Intake needs to be higher than output for gain.

But for HEALTH, the types of food you eat matter a lot more.