Sober October 2017

Options

Replies

• KendraS74
    KendraS74 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, today should be fun. Dealing with some news about which I have conflicted feelings (widowed father's eventual engagement). Will try not to numb my feelings with excess food or drink today. The food part I think I can handle because I have no appetite at the moment.

Are you all challenged by day-to-day issues that lead you to imbibe? I plan to talk to friends and stay somewhat busy.
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm doing good here. Drank a few times this month but I'm feeling like I'm in so much better control now. I would love to see a November thread pop up. :smiley:
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just found you guys today. I'm on day 3 of a planned 30 day break (at least) from alcohol. Had a very rough and eye opening weekend, need to get my act together. I would be really interested in seeing this go into November. I'm struggling with being married to a pretty serious home brewer as well as working at a local brewery. The temptation is ridiculous.
  • dominiquehomza
    dominiquehomza Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I want to do a (mostly) alcohol free November! I find that while I love my wine and can easily spend a few days without it, I’m tired of the snacking I do when I get home and don’t care, the cigarettes I smoke when I get a buzz, etc. I’m really going to cut back! I know Halloween I’ll have a drink, and dc next weekend I’ll have a few, but I think I didn’t realize how much my snacking when I’m buzzing sets me back, not even just the alcohol itself! So while I will not completely abstain, I am going to keep it to these special occasions while I’m achieving some goals! I’m used to having alcohol be part of my social situations past 5 pm so I’ll just sub in something else I suppose! Good job everyone!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've been sober since may 12 2017. I have lost a total of 30 pounds in those 5 months. Who knew that it would help that much?! 20 pounds to go!

That's fantastic! Congrats on your 5 months of sobriety and the loss of 30 lbs. You are an inspiration to me. I want to start in November and will use your success as my motivation.
  • bluevelvetsky
    bluevelvetsky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have to stop drinking because I got really sick this summer from a gallstone and now I have the pancreas of an old drunk. I do like how much money I have saved and concentrating on my health.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 30 days of no alcohol after years of drinking most evenings. My sleep is so much better and I feel better in general too. It's also stopped my late night snacking.

I'm going to a Halloween party on Saturday where I will be drinking but I'm intending to jump right back on the wagon on Sunday and (hopefully) my next drink will be Christmas day :)
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    This thread is wonderful. I use alcohol to decompress after work but sometimes it gets away from me and most recently has led to some real munch fests.

So now am trying to limit alcohol to weekends only. Albeit a three day weekend - lol. Fri, Sat, Sun.

I am surprised how hard it is not to reach for a glass of wine... but so far so good for week one. No alcohol this week so far. Yippee!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful for this thread. I joined it with the intention of not drinking at ALL throughout October, but not to beat myself up if I DID have a drink. The important thing for me is to ENJOY a drink without feeling like I need to have another and another.

Because of this thread I find myself asking questions each time I think I want to drink of an evening. Do I REALLY want alcohol, or do I just want something that tastes nice. That COULD be a nice glass of wine, or it could just as easily be a mug of hot chocolate, or a glass of juice
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This thread is great. I am definitely down for November. I am trying to taper off and then abstain. I tried cutting back, but that is not going to work. So tired of trying and succeeding during the day only to destroy progress with alcohol and overeating (because of alcohol) every night. Great thread.
  • KendraS74
    KendraS74 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been sober since may 12 2017. I have lost a total of 30 pounds in those 5 months. Who knew that it would help that much?! 20 pounds to go!

Wow, that is amazing and absolutely inspiring!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I intend to abstain for November to help with some weight loss, except for one day when I'm having people over to my house to celebrate my birthday. My SO is abstaining with me. Looking forwards to a November thread!
  • hpetrillo
    hpetrillo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don’t know about anyone else but I find that I “obsess” about something when I can’t have it. I have been abstaining from alcohol during the week but now that Friday is here I am allowing myself to have two glasses a night. That is cutting back for me( I think I was easily having a bottl before). I also am putting it in my Fitbit tracker so the calories are counted for. I really want to lose weight but I just want to find a balance so I can maintain it. I also feel like I eat more when I quit drinking so I have to cut back on the food too☺️
  • SlytherinBat
    SlytherinBat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from my cruise. I did have about five drinks, but I didn't feel the need to finish them. I've been a 2-3 drinks a night for years so I'm not going to beat myself up over my indulgence. Bring on November.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Great thread!!!
    I managed to NOT have a glass of wine this past week which is huge for me - husband too! Last night - er, Friday night!! We did enjoy a nice Syrah but in moderation. Yay.
  • cmeride
    cmeride Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. I will start a November thread for us. To easily find it, it will have the same name: Sober November 2017. I will work on it now.

Thank you Salleewins for creating this group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123400-sober-november-2017

Today is day 60 for me. I'm down 14lbs and feel great. I'm definitely in for Sober November.

Congrats, to those of you who are able to drink in moderation. I'm surrounded by alcohol and its very hard to pick and choose when I'll drink and when I won't. Much easier for me to set targets and completely abstain.

For everyone, who has who accomplished your goals for October, well done! :)

For those all of you who are choosing to be alcohol free in November. Good luck and all the best!