Sober October 2017

Replies

• ktaveroni86x
    ktaveroni86x Posts: 7 Member
    well i was doing well until last night..... feeling discouraged, in need for some motivational support to get back on track again.....
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,251 Member
    So logic would dictate that if I have given up my nightly wine that I would lose a few pounds since I am consuming fewer calories, but I have not lost an ounce!
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    So logic would dictate that if I have given up my nightly wine that I would lose a few pounds since I am consuming fewer calories, but I have not lost an ounce!

Be patient. The weight loss will come!
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    I'd love to join this too. I have recently been scaling back on drinks and working out more, but would love motivation from people doing the same..please feel free to add me..i need the encouragement!!!!
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    I made it nearly two weeks, but I caved tonight and had a gin martini. :neutral:
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Got home from an intense NYC weekend very late last night. Dinner on the delayed Amtrak consisted of hummus, pretzels, Sam Adams, and M&Ms. I'm going to need a few days to detox, and it's not a pleasant feeling.

However -- doesn't your own coffee, after a night in your own bed, taste amazing?
  • PurpleLavender77
    10th of October! We are nearly 1/3 of the way through the month. Congrats to everyone on the progress you are making!
  • northend2014
    northend2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi all - new here so be gentle! I started my Sober 'October' on 27 September as I am going on holiday 28 October but still wanted to do the full 31 days - so far so good (13 days in)

However, I haven't felt any benefits at all. I MORE bloated, feel boring when everyone else is out (been out a couple of times sober but drunk people are annoying), I'm eating more 'treats' as I 'deserve' them for not drinking (I know that's ridiculous), I've only lost 4lb (not great compared to previous weight loss whilst drinking), my body fat % has gone up!

I feel like I can't eat or drink anything I like now (whereas usually it's just I can't eat anything I like
  • PurpleLavender77
    Hi all - new here so be gentle! I started my Sober 'October' on 27 September as I am going on holiday 28 October but still wanted to do the full 31 days - so far so good (13 days in)

However, I haven't felt any benefits at all. I MORE bloated, feel boring when everyone else is out (been out a couple of times sober but drunk people are annoying), I'm eating more 'treats' as I 'deserve' them for not drinking (I know that's ridiculous), I've only lost 4lb (not great compared to previous weight loss whilst drinking), my body fat % has gone up!

I feel like I can't eat or drink anything I like now (whereas usually it's just I can't eat anything I like

I know that it took me a few weeks before I started losing after cutting out the wine, but every body is different. Are you drinking enough water? Are you cutting back on your calories and tracking your food intake? Are you working out?

Change takes time, and your body is healing and processing the changes you are making. You are reducing and / or abstaining for a reason, so focus on the WHY you want to be healthy and WHY you are making positive changes. Stick with it and good things will happen. Be patient with your body!

• northend2014
    northend2014 Posts: 10 Member

I know that it took me a few weeks before I started losing after cutting out the wine, but every body is different. Are you drinking enough water? Are you cutting back on your calories and tracking your food intake? Are you working out?

Change takes time, and your body is healing and processing the changes you are making. You are reducing and / or abstaining for a reason, so focus on the WHY you want to be healthy and WHY you are making positive changes. Stick with it and good things will happen. Be patient with your body!

Yeah cutting back my calories - maybe too much some days and I work out 3 times a week usually. I probably don't drink enough water - I try but just end up visiting the loo so much! My colleagues think I have a problem haha
  • PurpleLavender77

Yeah cutting back my calories - maybe too much some days and I work out 3 times a week usually. I probably don't drink enough water - I try but just end up visiting the loo so much! My colleagues think I have a problem haha

Keep up the good work. It will come together eventually!

• maryanneericson
    maryanneericson Posts: 5 Member
    I was going to ask how long of no drinking alcohol did it take to start losing some weight? I'm not adding other calories on but I'm terribly impatient. I know there are so many benefits outside of losing weight for giving up drinking too much alcohol! But I wouldn't mind a little instant gratification. : )
  • PurpleLavender77
    I was going to ask how long of no drinking alcohol did it take to start losing some weight? I'm not adding other calories on but I'm terribly impatient. I know there are so many benefits outside of losing weight for giving up drinking too much alcohol! But I wouldn't mind a little instant gratification. : )

I think it's different for everyone. I stopped drinking wine on July 23 (last drink) and
    I started seeing the scale move on August 3. I had been plateauing since mid-May before that. Reducing/abstaining alcohol was/is only one part of the equation though. I'm also tracking food/calories in MFP, drinking plenty of water and working out.
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    I also find that my tracking is more consistent when I don't drink. Even with just a couple of beers, I have a tendency to mindlessly nibble
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    no44s4me wrote: »
    I also find that my tracking is more consistent when I don't drink. Even with just a couple of beers, I have a tendency to mindlessly nibble

Agreed, me too!