Apples...a zero calorie food??

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It not calorie free, BUT, better for you than a lot of other things. For instance, a Frito Chili Pie has like 500+ calories in just one cup and loads of fat. Whereas an apple pie you make lighter will have a lot less calories and virtually no fat. What I look at is not only the calorie count but the fat content which is what most diet plans also look at. Like a salad with ranch dressing may be the equivalent to a hamburger on the caloric side, but on the artery side it's much healthier because it doesn't have as much fat.

A normal apple pie will have a LOT of calories and a LOT of fat. I usually make a crust using plenty of butter, for example (and you need some kind of fat for a crust).

Apples themselves are lower cal than a lot of things, but hardly calorie free. No one is saying avoid apples.

I have no clue what a frito chili pie is (I hate fritos, so it doesn't sound good to me), but presumably it has meat, so would be a better meal in some ways (protein) than an apple pie (which no one considers a regular meal, although it might make a nice post Thanksgiving breakfast).

You seem to assume fat is bad, it's not.

A salad with ranch dressing could very easily have far more fat than a burger, if you make the burger with very lean ground beef (as I normally do) and if the majority of calories in the salad are from ranch dressing (but maybe you added a bunch of croutons or something, I dunno). But again fat isn't all that -- the burger has protein, which you need, and the salad (especially if you use a variety of vegetables) has a lot of micros.

(I'm eating a quite caloric salad at the moment with a bunch of vegetables, some chicken for protein, some feta cheese and olives (FAT), and some dressing made with olive oil and red wine vinegar (I hate ranch, but this also has FAT). Pretty sure it's not actually bad for me, and it fits into my day.)

Beat me to it.

Not sure how you would make an apple pie(or any pie) with No/Low fat.

I'm not sure either - you need some kind of fat to to hold the crust together and have the results be edible.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It not calorie free, BUT, better for you than a lot of other things. For instance, a Frito Chili Pie has like 500+ calories in just one cup and loads of fat. Whereas an apple pie you make lighter will have a lot less calories and virtually no fat. What I look at is not only the calorie count but the fat content which is what most diet plans also look at. Like a salad with ranch dressing may be the equivalent to a hamburger on the caloric side, but on the artery side it's much healthier because it doesn't have as much fat.

A normal apple pie will have a LOT of calories and a LOT of fat. I usually make a crust using plenty of butter, for example (and you need some kind of fat for a crust).

Apples themselves are lower cal than a lot of things, but hardly calorie free. No one is saying avoid apples.

I have no clue what a frito chili pie is (I hate fritos, so it doesn't sound good to me), but presumably it has meat, so would be a better meal in some ways (protein) than an apple pie (which no one considers a regular meal, although it might make a nice post Thanksgiving breakfast).

A salad with ranch dressing could very easily have far more fat than a burger, if you make the burger with very lean ground beef (as I normally do) and if the majority of calories in the salad are from ranch dressing (but maybe you added a bunch of croutons or something, I dunno). But again fat isn't all that -- the burger has protein, which you need, and the salad (especially if you use a variety of vegetables) has a lot of micros.

(I'm eating a quite caloric salad at the moment with a bunch of vegetables, some chicken for protein, some feta cheese and olives (FAT), and some dressing made with olive oil and red wine vinegar (I hate ranch, but this also has FAT). Pretty sure it's not actually bad for me, and it fits into my day.)

Beat me to it.

it was crustless...*shudders at the thought*

So more of a cobbler? Or just baked apples? Baked apples can be pretty amazing.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A look at my old low-fat cookbook (which I do use more for low calorie than low fat ideas) gives me two pie recipes. One is crustless, so it's not a pie; it's strawberries in custard. The other is a yellow squash pie that has a graham cracker crumb crust and comes in a 3 grams fat/serving.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    A look at my old low-fat cookbook (which I do use more for low calorie than low fat ideas) gives me two pie recipes. One is crustless, so it's not a pie; it's strawberries in custard. The other is a yellow squash pie that has a graham cracker crumb crust and comes in a 3 grams fat/serving.

Dr Graham's crackers are pretty amazing for low fat crust making.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options

That squash pie sounds interesting. I love yellow squash.

Apple crumbles are good (I make mine with thickened unsweetened condensed apple juice to lower the carbs a little so the crumble doesn't affect my blood sugar AS much), but they ain't pie.

• estherdragonbat
    Options
    Crust:

1.5 tbsp melted margarine
    1.5 tbsp honey
    0.75 cup graham cracker crumbs

Filling:

4 egg whites
    2.5 cups (rounded) yellow squash, unpeeled, cut into 1/2"-1" pieces
    1 cup nonfat dry milk
    0.25 cup sugar
    1.5 tsp vanilla extract
    1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350

Combine margarine and honey in 9" pie pan. Add graham cracker crumbs and mix until moistened. Press into bottom and sides of pan to form crust. Bake 5 minutes.

In a blender, combine all filling ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour into crust, bake 25 minutes, or until set.

Cool slightly, then chill.

(There is a crustless option, where you just bake the filling and serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. But then it won't be pie.)

8 servings

155 calories, 6g protein, 3g fat (0g Sat fat), 25g carbs, 229 mg sodium, 2mg cholesterol*

*So speaks the cookbook. I find when I use the MFP database, it's often a little bit higher.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Crust:

1.5 tbsp honey

Filling:

4 egg whites
    1 cup nonfat dry milk
    0.25 cup sugar
    1.5 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350

Combine margarine and honey in 9" pie pan. Add graham cracker crumbs and mix until moistened. Press into bottom and sides of pan to form crust. Bake 5 minutes.

In a blender, combine all filling ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour into crust, bake 25 minutes, or until set.

(There is a crustless option, where you just bake the filling and serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. But then it won't be pie.)

8 servings

155 calories, 6g protein, 3g fat (0g Sat fat), 25g carbs, 229 mg sodium, 2mg cholesterol*

*So speaks the cookbook. I find when I use the MFP database, it's often a little bit higher.

Margarine is a crime against humanity.

Although it wouldn't be much higher fat with butter, because the honey and graham crackers bind together really well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Beat me to it.

So more of a cobbler? Or just baked apples? Baked apples can be pretty amazing.

I am okay with cobbler or even crumble and baked apples but it's not pie...
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Crust:

1.5 tbsp honey

Filling:

4 egg whites
    1 cup nonfat dry milk
    0.25 cup sugar
    1.5 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350

8 servings

Although it wouldn't be much higher fat with butter, because the honey and graham crackers bind together really well.

I've cut back on it. I'm kosher vegetarian, married to an omnivore. We can't have dairy right after meat so I make my desserts non-dairy. In baking, I sub margarine for butter when it's a texture/chemistry issue (e.g. creaming sugar and margarine, making frosting). If it makes no difference whether the fat is solid or liquid, I'll use oil.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    Always let your fingers do the walking and check on line sources:

Honey Crisp Apple Nutrition Facts, Honey Crisp Apple ...
    sync.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/honey-crisp-apple

Calories in Honey Crisp Apple - Calorie, Fat, Carb, Fiber ...
    www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=honey+crisp+apple

Calories in Honeycrisp Apples and Nutrition Facts
    www.fatsecret.com › Foods › Food List

There are 72 calories in 1 medium Honeycrisp Apple.

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Crust:

1.5 tbsp honey

Filling:

4 egg whites
    1 cup nonfat dry milk
    0.25 cup sugar
    1.5 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350

8 servings

Agreed. I don't use margarine in my house. Butter just tastes so much better.

And doesn't do that wierd melt your popcorn thing when you put it on popcorn. Sadly, that's too many calories for me to do often anymore, because I don't have an air popper and use like three tablespoons of butter. Alas! Woe is me! (I still do it and just work it in,just not as often as I'd like)

Thanks @estherdragonbat. I saved it and will probably make it sometime next month.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • dgmiller1959
    dgmiller1959 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this. I thought they were high in carbs. I'm on a low carb diet so I've stopped eating them.
    Can I eat them now?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this. I thought they were high in carbs. I'm on a low carb diet so I've stopped eating them.
    Can I eat them now?

An average medium apple has 25 grams of carbohydrates. Only you can determine if you want to fit that in your goals for the day.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Beat me to it.

The "pie" (it's not -- I believe you and I are in agreement here) in the OP was crustless, but the person I was responding too said that apple pie was better than some other pie because no fat. He/she did not specify that it was the "pie" in the OP, so I assumed it was a statement about apple pie generally.

Given some of the other confusions in the post (like salad with ranch dressing that was the same calories as a burger being low fat) I figured the person either didn't have much understanding of the ingredients in an apple pie (a real one, I mean) or of what ingredients and foods have fat in them.