Apples...a zero calorie food??

Replies

• ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have a sliced apple every morning as soon as I get to the office... I am hopeful the old adage "apple a day keeps the doctor away" will be a truism. Been doing this since May 16 2016 when I joined up here at Club Chub.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    mktom29 wrote: »
    My dietician told me that apples have no affect on the body, especially your blood sugar. She also told me that when you eat the apple with the core, the core acts like a protectant to the carbs and sugar being digested into your system. Pretty cool!

I was pre-diabetic and my blood sugar did go up after apples, and yes I've always eaten the core.

Team Eats-the-Core fist-bump! And here I never knew I was protecting myself from the big bad carbs and sugars at the same time. Oh shoot though, this giant Honeycrisp is supposed to be half of my calories for my second-lunch -
    maybe I should skip the core so I don't get hungry later.

Not gonna lie you guys - this apple might be Too Big.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    mktom29 wrote: »
    My dietician told me that apples have no affect on the body, especially your blood sugar. She also told me that when you eat the apple with the core, the core acts like a protectant to the carbs and sugar being digested into your system. Pretty cool!

I was pre-diabetic and my blood sugar did go up after apples, and yes I've always eaten the core.

Team Eats-the-Core fist-bump! And here I never knew I was protecting myself from the big bad carbs and sugars at the same time. Oh shoot though, this giant Honeycrisp is supposed to be half of my calories for my second-lunch -
    maybe I should skip the core so I don't get hungry later.

Not gonna lie you guys - this apple might be Too Big.

Second lunch? Are you a Hobbit? You love some secondsies.

If I really were a Hobbit, I wouldn't have questioned my ability to finish that apple! But yeah, I do the multiple small meals thing. More like I prefer to just eat pretty much continually.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    neat to have a Hobbit house and lay in there eating apples galore...chomp chomp
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I think this might be like saying that if I have a maintenance calorie requirement of 1500 and I eat 1500 calories a day, then I am eating a zero calorie diet. I'm using what I am taking in, so I have zero EXCESS calories to store - but they aren't free.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I was craving apples today, Ate 3. Realize why now i remember this thread hah
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    jo_nz wrote: »
    I think this might be like saying that if I have a maintenance calorie requirement of 1500 and I eat 1500 calories a day, then I am eating a zero calorie diet. I'm using what I am taking in, so I have zero EXCESS calories to store - but they aren't free.

That's what it's trying to say, but its wrong, because the number calories from digesting an apple do not cancel out the number calories from the apple.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Sorry to wade in mid-debate...but is it possible that the person who created the recipe was on a plan like Weight Watchers where in fact some foods are classified as 'free' to encourage people to eat more? Quite a few diet plans do this (I've tried most of them :D), Slimming World being another.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Maybe, but if so, they were doing it wrong. WW's free foods cease to be free when used in recipes. So, an apple has zero points. But make an apple turnover and the points include the apple along with the pastry and sugar.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    apples make me hungry. something to do with my body chemistry and fructose I think

just saying.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    apples make me hungry. something to do with my body chemistry and fructose I think

just saying.

me too...if I eat one because I am hungry...give me about 15mins and I am back to being hungry/hungrier than I was before...

Unless it's a 1.5-2lb honey crisp...go figure..
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Lots of Great Fiber in your apples and WOW loved reading answers you elicited.

Fantastic post!

Thanks for this wink: :smile: :smiley: