Welcome to the forums. Grab a helmet, the water can be rough :laugh:
  • bobbigirl83
    bobbigirl83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wish :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Well, the question's already been answered so I won't say anything about that.

I will, however, say that I'm jealous of all of you who are getting in the really good Honeycrisps. So far, the ones that have shown up locally have been pretty small and beat up looking. Still tasty, but slim pickings.

Yes, two years ago Honeycrisps were the biggest apples I've ever seen. Not so last year. They said it was the drought, but we didn't have a drought this year and the Vermont Honeycrisps are tiny. They are bigger at the apple orchard a few towns away, though.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I am all about that honeycrisp life. U-pick time near me was Sunday and I got 1/2 bushel for $25. Sounds like you got a great deal!

Yup, a peck of apples at the self-pick place here is $28 and about 12 pounds.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    It not calorie free, BUT, better for you than a lot of other things. For instance, a Frito Chili Pie has like 500+ calories in just one cup and loads of fat. Whereas an apple pie you make lighter will have a lot less calories and virtually no fat. What I look at is not only the calorie count but the fat content which is what most diet plans also look at. Like a salad with ranch dressing may be the equivalent to a hamburger on the caloric side, but on the artery side it's much healthier because it doesn't have as much fat.

I've been looking at pie crust recipes from 1945 - 2006 recently and double crust recipes all have about a cup of butter / lard / shortening.

4o9r082mrw35.jpg
    pn5ejgv976m7.jpg
    57lrrkmsootl.jpg

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I will, however, say that I'm jealous of all of you who are getting in the really good Honeycrisps. So far, the ones that have shown up locally have been pretty small and beat up looking. Still tasty, but slim pickings.

I can't even get my hands on these mythical fruits to try them. All the honeycrisps grown in NZ are exported to the US to keep you lot happy in your off season, other than some sold at the orchard gate, which is several hundred kilometres from me on a different island...
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited September 2017
    Options

*realises she just quoted a post from page one after hitting post on previous, slinks away quietly...*
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I can't even get my hands on these mythical fruits to try them. All the honeycrisps grown in NZ are exported to the US to keep you lot happy in your off season, other than some sold at the orchard gate, which is several hundred kilometres from me on a different island...

I'd never even heard of a honeycrisp apples. Never seen them in the shops here.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

I had to Google, because I'd heard of their legendariness here. They seem to be pretty particular about their climate, so not many orchards here growing them, and as I said, almost all go to export. Tis fine, we have plenty of awesome apple varieties in NZ (which you Aussies can now finally enjoy too!!).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, two years ago Honeycrisps were the biggest apples I've ever seen. Not so last year. They said it was the drought, but we didn't have a drought this year and the Vermont Honeycrisps are tiny. They are bigger at the apple orchard a few towns away, though.

The last 2 years the honeycrisps here were medium-sized. Definitely not bigger than other apples.

Haven't checked yet this year.
  • lisa_swims
    lisa_swims Posts: 37 Member
    Options

They are wonderful. The skin is thin so you don't need to peel them. Koru from NZ are great too!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    lisa_swims wrote: »

They are wonderful. The skin is thin so you don't need to peel them. Koru from NZ are great too!

Don't need to peel any apple unless you have some serious dental issues.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Apples have about 60-120 calories depending on the size.

There's not really any such thing as a zero calorie food, although I guess you could try ice cubes ! ;)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Blessed are the ignorant who think they burn 300cals every time they chew an apple.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Apples have about 60-120 calories depending on the size.

There's not really any such thing as a zero calorie food, although I guess you could try ice cubes ! ;)

Yah no...the last honeycrisp I ate was just under 1lbs...no joke it was huge...appx 250 calories
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yeah, who peels apples just for eating?

Although there was some thread the other day where I learned that some people peel peaches, so MFP is educational.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yeah, who peels apples just for eating?

My wife refuses to eat apples without peeling them...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

I had to Google, because I'd heard of their legendariness here. They seem to be pretty particular about their climate, so not many orchards here growing them, and as I said, almost all go to export. Tis fine, we have plenty of awesome apple varieties in NZ (which you Aussies can now finally enjoy too!!).

This Canadian would like to thank you for Royal Galas!