Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Apples...a zero calorie food??

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    120 calories in a tablespoon of olive oil. So hopefully the dressings on these salads are just vinegar... Add the oil and it is not close to "zero calorie."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    By zero calorie foods, the writer meant that the food burns more calories while you're digesting it than what the food contains. For example, (and these numbers are completely made up), if an Apple is 200 calories, and it burns 300 calories just to chew and digest it, then they would consider it a zero-calorie food.

Foods that are considered zero-calorie or negative-calorie include:

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

However, before you go and eat a ton of apples, keep in mind that there are a lot of controversies about whether they are indeed zero calorie and that studies show that the amount you would have to eat to cancel out the calories is pretty substantial.

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44
    - medium head of cauliflower - 146 (1.3 lbs.)

For all intents and purposes these are zero calories. You could burn off a salad with the above ingredients just by running up and down the stairs in your house. No need to count the calories.

Apples have real calories. About 100 on average.

If you need to run up and down stairs to burn off the calories, then they have calories. What a silly assertion. Since when is 44 of something zero "for all intents and purposes". Gawd, I'd hate to try your baking.

Your are actually going to even give a moment's thought to 5 calories of onion, 2 calories of celery, and 3 calories of spinach? Why?

How did 44 calories become 5?

Once again, your baking must be atrocious.

Let's not forget the 146 calorie cauliflower you mentioned running off.

You eat an entire medium onion and 1.3 lbs. of cauliflower at dinner? Interesting.

It's not that uncommon for me to eat 200-300 calories of non starchy veg. Not all at dinner, no. My vegetables would always add up to more calories than there is in an apple.

Anyway, this is silly, there are no "no calorie foods."

How people log is a separate issue, although for me not logging my vegetables would have made it HARDER not easier, as the fun for me was seeing what I actually ate (and also that probably encouraged me to even more consistent with my vegetable consumption). Whenever people say veg doesn't matter I wonder if they just don't eat many (and I say that as someone who rarely logs anymore).

I'll also add that vegetables to me never add to the burden of logging -- I chop them when cooking anyway, so why not put them on the scale, it actually encourages me to do a mis en place. And they are generally in my favorites or recents and one of the easiest things to find accurate entries for. Meat is way harder/more burdensome to log, IMO, but of course I do (when logging at all).
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Yes I've looked into a keto diet because I THOUGHT I didn't eat much carbs. But then I come to realize some fruits and veggies have a good amount of carbs and you gotta keep it between 20-25g of carbs so that's a no go for me lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    By zero calorie foods, the writer meant that the food burns more calories while you're digesting it than what the food contains. For example, (and these numbers are completely made up), if an Apple is 200 calories, and it burns 300 calories just to chew and digest it, then they would consider it a zero-calorie food.

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

However, before you go and eat a ton of apples, keep in mind that there are a lot of controversies about whether they are indeed zero calorie and that studies show that the amount you would have to eat to cancel out the calories is pretty substantial.

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44

For all intents and purposes these are zero calories. You could burn off a salad with the above ingredients just by running up and down the stairs in your house. No need to count the calories.

If you need to run up and down stairs to burn off the calories, then they have calories. What a silly assertion. Since when is 44 of something zero "for all intents and purposes". Gawd, I'd hate to try your baking.

Your are actually going to even give a moment's thought to 5 calories of onion, 2 calories of celery, and 3 calories of spinach? Why?

What's with the assumption I'm only eating 1/9th of an onion? A minute ago it was 44 cals for a whole medium one. I can easily knock off half a head of cauliflower - should I ignore those 75 calories too?

A head of cauliflower is lunch or dinner. So yes, you can ignore those 75 calories because it's the lowest calorie lunch or dinner you can eat. Do you really eat a head of cauliflower?

A head of cauliflower is not that huge (small head is around 300 g IME, which is about 75 cal). It's easy to eat a whole one (again, I wonder if you just don't eat many vegetables). Personally, I'd eat other food too, of course, maybe even some other veg.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,971 Member
    I stopped reading at some vegetable recipe that called for 2 tablespoons of Bragg Liquid Aminos. There are 160 mg of sodium in a half teaspoon of Bragg. So that would be 1920 mg of sodium for a side dish..... No offense to anyone; but, I started to retain water just reading :D:D:D.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    d7qq496vbj6r.png

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44

What's with the assumption I'm only eating 1/9th of an onion? A minute ago it was 44 cals for a whole medium one. I can easily knock off half a head of cauliflower - should I ignore those 75 calories too?

A head of cauliflower is lunch or dinner. So yes, you can ignore those 75 calories because it's the lowest calorie lunch or dinner you can eat. Do you really eat a head of cauliflower?

You are a very strange dude.

Actually, eating a head of cauliflower is a little odd, don't you think? We're talking 1.3 lbs.!

5-7 servings of veggies is the recommendation.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44

A head of cauliflower is not that huge (small head is around 300 g IME, which is about 75 cal). It's easy to eat a whole one (again, I wonder if you just don't eat many vegetables). Personally, I'd eat other food too, of course, maybe even some other veg.

Even a large head of cauliflower, Has anyone never roasted it and noticed how much it shrinks? Yesterday I had a whole head of cauliflower (medium) roasted for a snack, and it didn't even fill up a cereal bowl.

I too have eaten a whole head of roasted cauliflower. That stuff is tasty. I've also eaten a whole head of it riced as the basis of a meal with added protein. Throw in some scallions and a few other bits and bobs and you have cauliflower fried rice.

There are people out there that the PP might not be aware of who are volume eaters who eat lots of vegetables regularly.

BTW, I'm the only one in my family who likes cauliflower, so I get it all to myself. The only way I get the family to eat it is in soup. I make a cream soup with cauliflower, potatoes, and cheese that they eat. We had it yesterday, in fact.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44

Even a large head of cauliflower, Has anyone never roasted it and noticed how much it shrinks? Yesterday I had a whole head of cauliflower (medium) roasted for a snack, and it didn't even fill up a cereal bowl.

I too have eaten a whole head of roasted cauliflower. That stuff is tasty. I've also eaten a whole head of it riced as the basis of a meal with added protein. Throw in some scallions and a few other bits and bobs and you have cauliflower fried rice.

There are people out there that the PP might not be aware of who are volume eaters who eat lots of vegetables regularly.

BTW, I'm the only one in my family who likes cauliflower, so I get it all to myself. The only way I get the family to eat it is in soup. I make a cream soup with cauliflower, potatoes, and cheese that they eat. We had it yesterday, in fact.

Lucky. The whole family gobbles vegetables like there is no tomorrow. It's just how we've always eaten. I have to explicitly ask for some things not to be touched or to buy extra for me if I'm planning something specific.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    I put away about 0.5 kg of veggies just about every day. That's a shade over 1 lb. It doesn't seem at all excessive. :)