Apples...a zero calorie food??

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem. Calorie counting works (if you can do it; most people fail at it like they fail with most diets). So if you suggest calorie counting to a newbie, and tell that newbie that you have to measure/weigh spinach, lettuce, garlic, onions, etc., most of them are not even going to try, no matter how easy it is for you.

Also, if you are a successful calorie counter and have reached your weight goal, continuing to count every single morsel of food you put into your mouth is a little odd, IMHO. If you gain a couple of pounds, so what? Then go back to careful calorie counting and lose the two pounds.

And not counting every morsel doesn't mean you're going to back to your old diet of double cheeseburgers, fries and a shake. You should have a pretty good idea of what you can eat to be near your goals.

So why is someone who thinks calorie counting is "A little odd, IMHO", combined with your hilarious thoughts on why people fail.... on a calorie counting website???

The message is to people who have never calorie counted and are considering it.

I measured/weighed/counted calories diligently for a month or so, less diligently for a month or so, then pretty much stopped because I didn't like doing it.

I continued to lose weight and met my goal. How? Those first two months were my calorie education. That's all I needed.

However, I read labels on packaged goods and in restaurants (where provided).

So, like many people, you found another way to consistently be in a deficit.

What relevance does this have to people who find calorie counting to be a painless way to do the same thing?

It has relevance to the vast majority of people (95%+) who would find the idea of counting every morsel of food they put into their mouths for the rest of their lives a total non-starter.

For those who want to count every calories for life, great, more power to you. But to those who don't, there are more reasonable and realistic approaches to calorie counting and calorie awareness. Weighing spinach and lettuce and garlic is not one of them.

but you calorie count? in your head...you said so in another post. You keep track...

and the vast majority of people 95%+ is a stretch...

and you go to an extreme of "counting every morsel..." which yes is recommended for losing the weight but not maintaining.

I count calories on MFP and will continue until such time as I feel I won't regain if I stop. I won't be counting everything perfectly or by weight all the time...aka weighing lettuce and garlic.

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I weigh garlic and I don't eat lettuce. (I do, however, weigh spinach.) I don't find it "daunting." In fact it helps sometimes, as it is easy for me to add waaay too much garlic. (I would eat it anyway, but not everyone would.)

I love apples but they do have calories (typically 80-150). They don't make me hungrier, but they only give me a 1-2 hour boost so I try to eat them shortly before a meal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Kullerva wrote: »
    I weigh garlic and I don't eat lettuce. (I do, however, weigh spinach.) I don't find it "daunting." In fact it helps sometimes, as it is easy for me to add waaay too much garlic. (I would eat it anyway, but not everyone would.)

I love apples but they do have calories (typically 80-150). They don't make me hungrier, but they only give me a 1-2 hour boost so I try to eat them shortly before a meal.

Why don't you eat lettuce? It's a zero calorie food. Maybe even negative.

Lettuce is low calorie, not zero calorie.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »

Why don't you eat lettuce? It's a zero calorie food. Maybe even negative.

Lettuce is low calorie, not zero calorie.

[sarcasm] Why don't you eat lettuce? It's a zero calorie food. Maybe even negative. [/sarcasm]

Oops, sorry. :s
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,401 Member
    Options
    Nothing in life is free.. point to ponder
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Here is the problem. Calorie counting works (if you can do it; most people fail at it like they fail with most diets). So if you suggest calorie counting to a newbie, and tell that newbie that you have to measure/weigh spinach, lettuce, garlic, onions, etc., most of them are not even going to try, no matter how easy it is for you.

Also, if you are a successful calorie counter and have reached your weight goal, continuing to count every single morsel of food you put into your mouth is a little odd, IMHO. If you gain a couple of pounds, so what? Then go back to careful calorie counting and lose the two pounds.

And not counting every morsel doesn't mean you're going to back to your old diet of double cheeseburgers, fries and a shake. You should have a pretty good idea of what you can eat to be near your goals.

So why is someone who thinks calorie counting is "A little odd, IMHO", combined with your hilarious thoughts on why people fail.... on a calorie counting website???

I measured/weighed/counted calories diligently for a month or so, less diligently for a month or so, then pretty much stopped because I didn't like doing it.

I continued to lose weight and met my goal. How? Those first two months were my calorie education. That's all I needed.

What relevance does this have to people who find calorie counting to be a painless way to do the same thing?

It has relevance to the vast majority of people (95%+) who would find the idea of counting every morsel of food they put into their mouths for the rest of their lives a total non-starter.

For those who want to count every calories for life, great, more power to you. But to those who don't, there are more reasonable and realistic approaches to calorie counting and calorie awareness. Weighing spinach and lettuce and garlic is not one of them.

You continue to reference this alternative that is more reasonable and more realistic, but I have yet to see you articulate what that approach is. Can you outline it for us - for those people who find the concept of calorie counting daunting - what is your recommendation for them? You acknowledge (I think) that weight loss comes down to CICO, but you think logging on the CI side is time consuming and daunting, and you think that exercise estimates on the CO side are inflated... so what is your method for assuring CI<CO?

Plenty of people lose weight without calorie counting. In fact, far more people lose the desired weight without calorie counting. I am not arguing the CI<CO.

Having said that, most people fail at dieting, no matter how they try to lose weight.

What do you suggest instead?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You continue to reference this alternative that is more reasonable and more realistic, but I have yet to see you articulate what that approach is. Can you outline it for us - for those people who find the concept of calorie counting daunting - what is your recommendation for them? You acknowledge (I think) that weight loss comes down to CICO, but you think logging on the CI side is time consuming and daunting, and you think that exercise estimates on the CO side are inflated... so what is your method for assuring CI<CO?

Plenty of people lose weight without calorie counting. In fact, far more people lose the desired weight without calorie counting. I am not arguing the CI<CO.

Having said that, most people fail at dieting, no matter how they try to lose weight.

Plenty of people lose weight without calorie counting, yes. That's irrelevant to this thread.

It also has nothing to do with your odd take that counting all calories but for vegetables is a good approach based on the idea that vegetables might as well have no calories. If you are eating the recommended amount of vegetables, no, they do not. I understand that you yourself may not eat many calories from vegetables, but that's hardly something to promote, if it is true. And you are ignore the fact that for many people tracking (which may or may not mean actually counting calories) fruits and vegetables could well be a way of making tracking or logging more fun and something they are more likely to do and could well be a way of encouraging themselves to eat more vegetables and fruit (which is often a good idea).

The idea that we should just ignore vegetables while counting everything else has always struck me as something I would never find interesting or worth doing. (On the other hand, I can lose weight counting/logging or not.)